News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, January 23, 2023, 03:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrimevalRaptor

Neat to see the guesses were on point, Majungasaurus was in need of an updated figure and this really captures how it's almost a dachshund among abelisaurs, the color scheme is also very refreshing after many brown/yellow theropods, definitely a strong start for 2023 :D

Carnoking

You know, I was kind of lukewarm to this reveal based on the photos that Safari released but darn if the in-hand photos shared by avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi didn't sway me! This is a wonderful start.

Speaking of your review, did I read correctly that this figure comes with a stand of some sort?

Shane

Quote from: Carnoking on January 27, 2023, 07:59:24 PMSpeaking of your review, did I read correctly that this figure comes with a stand of some sort?

It comes with a clear plastic insert (as some other Safari figures do) that is primarily to prevent warping during the shipping process.

Doug Watson

Okay I'll admit it I did it I'm sorry.
As far as the critiques.
The skin - I did this in 2020 and I know I should be able to predict future discoveries or theories but I failed again.
The claws - I put claws on it since the skeletal restorations that I used put claws on it, including Carrano's own from 2007. I did have the Carrano 2012 paper that someone cited but let me quote from the paper and highlight.
"This is the minimum observed formula for Majungasaurus,
which may not have possessed any unguals, because
there are no distal articular surfaces preserved on any of the phalanges
in this specimen. Nonetheless, the possibility that portions
of this manus exhibit pathologies renders even this conclusion uncertain.

In Aucasaurus, the distal-most preserved phalanges do
bear articular surfaces, raising the possibility that unguals were
present in this taxon.
"
and from the same paper
"Thus, Majungasaurus possessed a minimum phalangeal formula
of 1/2/1–2?/1, but we cannot exclude the possibility of additional
phalanges on several of the digits"

The colour - When I showed the paint job to Shane in 2020 he mentioned the Demon Carnotaurus to me but I told him I had never seen it and my inspiration was actually the colours of Marine Iguana. I also told him at the time "I had never seen the Kenner Carnotaurus but now that I have looked at it I am sure someone will say I copied it." So I guess I can predict the future.

suspsy

I quite like it, avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson. Definitely on my list.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Duna

I really like the Carnotaurus (it's one that PNSO didn't replace because I like it much more) so this Majungasaurus is a must buy. I really like the colors very much.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 27, 2023, 05:31:47 PMLooks good to me, I had most of the same thoughts here, the coloration definitely made me think "Demon". This should help out for sure when I'm working on the body for mine. I was mostly concerned about the width of the skull as those images are currently ingrained in my brain after days of carving the head for mine lol but as it said it looks good, teeth may have been set wider out so I kind of figure it would look more like the JW sculpt with a closed mouth.  Anyway I hope it is out soon already signed up to be notified. Great review Gwangi! Dare I hope the next reveal is an Ouranosaurus !?  ;)

Hey @Blade of the Moon do you have this paper it shows the skull from multiple angles, great reference? https://people.ohio.edu/witmerl/Downloads/2007_Sampson_&_Witmer_Majungasaurus_skull.pdf

Baryonyx

Super release and sculpt. I think the colour scheme is great and makes a nice link to/development of the scheme used for the original Battat Carnotaurus. I'm sure they will complement one another well.
Congrats and thanks!!!

Hope there is a Corythosaurus from Safari Ltd & Doug at some point O:-)

Flaffy

Quote from: Doug Watson on January 27, 2023, 08:20:16 PMThe claws - I put claws on it since the skeletal restorations that I used put claws on it, including Carrano's own from 2007. I did have the Carrano 2012 paper that someone cited but let me quote from the paper and highlight.

The forelimb anatomy on Carrano's 2007 skeletal are markedly inconsistent with the 2012 findings. Along with various scaling and anatomical issues. So I wouldn't consider it a great reference to use. Hartman's 2019 one is quite nice on the other hand.

And yes I've already acknowledged and addressed the quote in an earlier comment in the thread:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10647.msg337285#msg337285

And neither of these sources addresses the fourth clawed digit on the figure, which would go against the theropod condition of only posessing 3-clawed digits.

That being said, thak you Doug for finally giving Majungasaurus the recognition it deserves! Good abelisaur figures that aren't Carnotaurus are few and far between on the market, and I implore anyone even remotely interested to pick this figure up. The world needs more abelisaur toys. Safari's efforts should be rewarded.

Faelrin

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Well that explains the integument on the figure. I certainly don't fault you for using what was available at the time, especially since you worked on this prior to the 2021 Carnotaurus integument paper being published. I even guessed that could be the case, in my initial response. Even the arrangement turned out quite similar.

Tbh, even though unintentional, I'm glad the coloration turned out that way, since I love the Kenner Demon, lol. I don't think you copied it. Surely if you did the eyes would have been green right? ;) I think that coloration looks really good on abelisaurids, and I wouldn't have thought to see it on Majungasaurus before. It fits this sausage with legs and a mouth rather nicely. It's quite unlike anything in the line so far too, and I can see where you got the inspiration from marine iguanas, as I have seen some with similar coloration and markings before (at least through images and video).

Aside from reading the excerpts provided, I decided to do more research on this. Abelisaurid hand anatomy is pretty scrappy from the group overall, with a few notable exceptions:

Spoiler
Abelisauridae:
Eoabelisaurus (holotype MPEF PV 3990: "distal carpals II, metacarpals I, phalanx I-1, manual unguals I, metacarpals II (74 mm), phalanges II-1, metacarpals III, phalanges III-1, phalanx III-2(?), metacarpals IV, phalanx " qouted from here. "left and right metacarpals I–IV, five phalanges (including one ungual) of the left and six phalanges (including one ungual) of the right hand" from the paper here)

Majungasaurinae:
Majungasaurus ("metacarpal I, phalanx I-1, metacarpal II, phalanx II-1, phalanx II-2, metacarpal III, phalanx III-1 fused with III-2, metacarpal IV fused with phalanx IV-1... Burch and Carrano, 2008", quoted from here, paper here, and there's also the forelimb material from the 2012 paper as mentioned before)

Carnotaurinae:
Brachyrostra:
Furileusauria:
Aucasaurus (holotype MCF-PVPH-236: "metacarpal I, metacarpal II, phalanx II-1, metacarpal III, phalanx III-1, phalanx III-2, metacarpal IV" quoted from here)
Carnotaurus (holotype MACN-CH 894: "metacarpal I (30 mm), metacarpals II (37, 36 mm), partial phalanx II-1, metacarpals III (29, 31 mm), partial phalanges III-1 (~40 mm), manual ungual III, metacarpals IV (84 mm), two pairs of carpals or manual phalanges" quoted from here. A 2011 paper on the hands here mentions "On the left hand, there is a bony piece articulated with the distal end of phalanx 1–III, which we tentatively interpret as the ungual phalanx of digit III (Pl. 1, fig. 1). This element has a roughly textured surface, an approximately conical shape and a somewhat acute end, although it is not clear whether it was sharp. Thus, digit III of Carnotaurus had only one phalanx besides the ungual.")
[close]

It would seem most other abelisaurids have fragmentary material, or on the occasion, with most of the skeleton, most are still lacking material for the forelimbs and hands. From what can be gleaned above, only Eoabelisaurus has preserved unguals (digit number 1), and the more derived Carnotaurus (digit number 3). I think more material is definitely needed in this regard.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

PrimevalRaptor

Oh now that you said it I can see the marine iguana inspiration especially in the base color of the body, that's really cool!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Doug Watson on January 27, 2023, 09:33:46 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 27, 2023, 05:31:47 PMLooks good to me, I had most of the same thoughts here, the coloration definitely made me think "Demon". This should help out for sure when I'm working on the body for mine. I was mostly concerned about the width of the skull as those images are currently ingrained in my brain after days of carving the head for mine lol but as it said it looks good, teeth may have been set wider out so I kind of figure it would look more like the JW sculpt with a closed mouth.  Anyway I hope it is out soon already signed up to be notified. Great review Gwangi! Dare I hope the next reveal is an Ouranosaurus !?  ;)

Hey @Blade of the Moon do you have this paper it shows the skull from multiple angles, great reference? https://people.ohio.edu/witmerl/Downloads/2007_Sampson_&_Witmer_Majungasaurus_skull.pdf

I didn't, but I did find some of those skull diagrams on a Google search. I mainly used those and the WitmerLab skull : https://people.ohio.edu/witmerl/collections/Theropods/majungasaurus.htm

I'm still carving it a bit but this is what I have so far :

Paleo Flo

Well, Safari that is an awesome Majungasaurus! Safari is back in a big way! Congrats to avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson

This is a must-have for me!
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

ceratopsian

A day on, and my position has firmed from "could be tempted" to a definite decision to buy.  Thank you, avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson, for giving us something so pleasing to the eye.

Flaffy

Quote from: ceratopsian on January 28, 2023, 01:25:58 PMA day on, and my position has firmed from "could be tempted" to a definite decision to buy.  Thank you, avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson, for giving us something so pleasing to the eye.

I find that with most Safari figure reveals, they look better as time goes on. They just manage to grow on you.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Flaffy on January 28, 2023, 03:01:53 PMI find that with most Safari figure reveals, they look better as time goes on. They just manage to grow on you.

I have a similar situation but it's with their promo pics on white backgrounds. I see them and feel something is missing then I see in hand pics and like them a lot better.

ItsTwentyBelow

Wooooweee! Now that's an all-around excellent Majungasaurus figure! In my opinion, there are no small anatomical details that are really worth quibbling over on this one. My only complaint would be its SIZE, since I like to collect static figures in 1:35 to 1:40 scale, but oh well. I can adapt for this guy, though it is just as large as the JW figure!

I really like how "wormy" this figure turned out, and the colors are great.

Faelrin

Yeah I think the harsh lightbox lighting in those promo pics kind of washes out some of the detail, and may have an effect on the coloration, say in comparison to those with better lighting conditions (such as outdoors good weather, etc). At least they have been including some of those other pics with some of their figures.

Like just compare this promo image:

with this one:

and it is a pretty stark difference on how the figure is being represented. You know what they say about first impressions. I think the outdoor pics do a much better job at that.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: