News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Herbivorous Pterosaurs

Started by Balaur, December 06, 2012, 09:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balaur

All pterosaurs known are carnivorous. Are there any herbivorous pterosaurs? And if not, is there anything group of animals alive today that eat only meat and insects?

darylj

cats are strictly carnivorous... they only need / eat meat

Seijun

All deer, cattle, and equine are herbivores, all felines, canines, and bears are either carnivores or omnivores. All hawks, falcons, and eagles are carnivores/insectivores, all finches are omnivores, etc. As far as I know all snakes are carnivores/insectivores and it seems like tortoises are mostly herbivores. There seem to be more omnivorous birds and reptiles then there are strictly herbivore or carnivore ones, though.

Based on extant reptiles, it seems unlikely that ALL pterosaurs were strictly carnivorous or insectivores.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Gwangi

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on December 06, 2012, 09:13:29 PM
All pterosaurs known are carnivorous. Are there any herbivorous pterosaurs? And if not, is there anything group of animals alive today that eat only meat and insects?

There are few animals that are strictly meat or plant eaters. Even some classic herbivores such as deer and horses will eat meat on occasion.  That said many fishes only eat animal material. Snakes and many species of lizards only eat meat. To the best of my knowledge amphibians also only eat animal material. Some birds like raptors I'm fairly sure only eat meat as well but I'm not certain.

SBell

Same for most-MOST-mustelids.  And in paleo terms, creodonts didn't have much in the way of dental options either.

This reminds me of a question I've had for a while--do we have any evidence of aerial-predator pterosaurs?  We are pretty certain at least some caught insects or fish on the wing, but with all the pterosaurs flying about (to say nothing of small, meaty birds) where are the Mesozoic falcons?

Gryphoceratops

Don't forget amphibians (at least in their adult stages) are all predators! 

ZoPteryx

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on December 06, 2012, 09:13:29 PM

I don't think there's proof of any herbivorous pterosaurs.  The only group that could have occasssionally sampled plant matter seems to be the Tapejarids, but they were most likely scavengers.  It makes sense when you think about it, plant matter takes a long time to digest and an animal needs to eat a lot of it to get enough nutrients to live.  I don't think that sort of process would agree with active, flying pterosaurs.

Quote from: SBell on December 06, 2012, 09:48:54 PM
Same for most-MOST-mustelids.  And in paleo terms, creodonts didn't have much in the way of dental options either.

This reminds me of a question I've had for a while--do we have any evidence of aerial-predator pterosaurs?  We are pretty certain at least some caught insects or fish on the wing, but with all the pterosaurs flying about (to say nothing of small, meaty birds) where are the Mesozoic falcons?

Sericipterus seems to be the only one I know of that that sort of life style has been suggested for, but that doesn't mean it actually took its prey on the wing.

Dinoguy2

The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.