News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Heinimex Quetzalcoatlus

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, May 27, 2023, 05:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Hi,   I've been trying to help a company on facebook that make lifesize dinosaurs and other animals.  They recently started a Quetzalcoatlus model.  I'm having a difficult time explaining what seems so off about this one.  They claim to have a in house designer and a paleontologist in Australia advising them. But I swear it looks like a big crane/bird? Maybe I'm crazy and just need to look up new takes on pterosaurs?

andrewsaurus rex

the crest looks too big on the white one.  Bills on both models look too short and the skull seems too large  The S-curved neck is very crane/swan like....not sure if that's a bad thing though, just different to the more straight neck restorations i'm used to seeing but it does make it look somewhat different from most restorations by making the neck look too short relative to the body.  The oversized head is a significant factor in the sculpture looking 'off'.

Bread

You're definitely right. I instantly thought of a crane or a more bird-like creature rather than a Quetzalcoatlus.

I am not an expert on pterasaurs but this concern is based on BlueRhinoStudio's depictions and other skeletal specimens, but shouldn't the crest be more present before the eyes rather than behind? Seems to be heavily focused on the top of head rather than before the eyes.

But I think what really may be throwing off the sculpt would be the neck posture. Seems rather bendable than real life? Again, I am no expert but that could be the reason it appears too bird-like.

triceratops83

First thing I thought of looking at the crest and beak was cassowary.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I agree the neck is normally straighter. I totally missed the head might be oversized. The crest I can give some leeway as it can be restored differently, though to me it looks too thick?

I'll point these out, I think maybe they have gone too far in resources and time to make many changes but it certainly wouldn't work as is for what it's supposed to be.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Looks like they went ahead with the original plan and well..here's the results..

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.