News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DefinitelyNOTDilo

They weren't kidding when they said they were trying new color schemes, this shits gorgeous! I can't decide which one I want but I'm leaning towards grey.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

On second thought, I've been wanting to try getting some figures repainted, and this would look gorgeous with the green designer edition dacentrurus' scheme...

Flaffy

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on April 15, 2024, 07:21:15 PMOn second thought, I've been wanting to try getting some figures repainted, and this would look gorgeous with the green designer edition dacentrurus' scheme...

A watermelon colour scheme for the round little chonker! Very fitting indeed.

Faelrin

+1 on avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator 's question.

I noticed in the comparison avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy made with the new figures and the JWE/JWE2 version that the armor adornment seems pretty similar. How accurate are both restorations in this regard?

I find both pretty adorable, although I am leaning towards the orange one. I want to call it Pumpkin.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

I'm really tempted by the Euoplocephalus but I already have an excellent one sculpted by Galileo Hernandez. It is resin though and I would prefer something more durable.

Sim

I've done a number of comparisons of the Haolonggood Euoplocephalus to specimens of Euoplocephalus and the other species that were once considered Euoplocephalus.  I've concluded the Haolonggood figure is Scolosaurus cutleri.  The head looks accurate to a S. cutleri specimen that preserved the eyelid osteoderm, and the body and anterior tail look accurate to the S. cutleri holotype, for which much of the armour was preserved.  As far as I know the tail club of S. cutleri is not known, Scolosaurus thronus has a round tail club, while the Haolonggood figure's looks based on the pointed tail club of Anodontosaurus.  I wouldn't consider the tail club inaccurate though, as I think it's possible S. cutleri had a tail club that looked different to that of S. thronus...

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Given that I'm trying to get a two medicine formation collection going, I'm not actually that upset!

Sim

Scolosaurus cutleri has much better remains than Euoplocephalus, so I'm happy the Haolonggood is S. cutleri.  S. cutleri deserves such good figures!

I was initially unsure which version I prefer, but I'm confident I'll be getting the orange version now as how striking it looks appeals to me.  The grey is good too, but too similar to the PNSO Zuul for me.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Flaffy on April 15, 2024, 03:48:51 PM
Quote from: Sim on April 15, 2024, 01:55:04 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 15, 2024, 04:08:02 AMI think it's possible that if not a beak exactly, there could be larger and thicker scales on the mouth to make it stronger for stripping plants. I added some tougher keratin like skin around the mouth of my new juvenile Brachiosaurus I'm working on and it doesn't look bad.
I think that's more likely than a beak.  The Camarasaurus specimen that the beak idea came from is said to possess tough scales around the mouth.

I personally adopt the term "pseudobeak". I subscribe to the idea that tough cornified/keratinised epidermis was present on some sauropods rather than a full on beak.

Exactly what I was thinking.

oscars_dinos

Something odd I've noticed about haolonggoods figures is that they aways look better right before they release... I don't know if it's the final paint application that makes the figures look, I don't know maybe a little plasticy? when I first saw the unpainted Euoplocephalus I was hype, but seeing these images I can't help but feel kinda just, eh... I realize how negative I'm sounding and I will say this Euoplocephalus is tempting me and I feel is still showing that they are improving but I feel very similar to this figure as I do the mamenchisaurus. I remember seeing the mold and even the painted prototype and falling in love with it but after seeing the official variants they have for release I am a little disappointed. I'll still be making the mamenchisaurus my first haolonggood figure I think, and maybe in person my worries on the paint apps will go away but I don't know. Ultimately I keep comparing the finishes to PNSO which seems to somehow have the color baked in to the figure mean while halloonggoods figures seem to be figures that are painted over. don't know if im making much sense lol

Pinbacker

I think that if you don't own any Haolonggood models, it's hard to judge them by the promo pictures alone. They always look fantastic in hand. And they are soooo much of a better value than PNSO. I love PNSO, don't get me wrong, but they are extremely expensive models. Haolonggood is giving us these models for a very modest price, and many of them stand toe to toe with the quality PNSO gives us.

Flaffy

Quote from: oscars_dinos on April 16, 2024, 01:15:12 AMSomething odd I've noticed about haolonggoods figures is that they aways look better right before they release... I don't know if it's the final paint application that makes the figures look, I don't know maybe a little plasticy? when I first saw the unpainted Euoplocephalus I was hype, but seeing these images I can't help but feel kinda just, eh... I realize how negative I'm sounding and I will say this Euoplocephalus is tempting me and I feel is still showing that they are improving but I feel very similar to this figure as I do the mamenchisaurus. I remember seeing the mold and even the painted prototype and falling in love with it but after seeing the official variants they have for release I am a little disappointed. I'll still be making the mamenchisaurus my first haolonggood figure I think, and maybe in person my worries on the paint apps will go away but I don't know. Ultimately I keep comparing the finishes to PNSO which seems to somehow have the color baked in to the figure mean while halloonggoods figures seem to be figures that are painted over. don't know if im making much sense lol

Overexposed lightbox images of the figures more often than not present them in an unflattering light. Pretty much all of Haolonggood's "in nature" shots with natural lighting makes the figure look nicer compared to the harsh studio lighting for their Amazon listings. Subsequent in-hand pics and video reviews also gives a more accurate view of how the final product actually looks.

Just following in the foot steps of CollectA and Safari in having horrendous lightbox pics I suppose :)) I'm sure the final figure will look better than you're imagining.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Pinbacker on April 16, 2024, 02:19:57 AMI think that if you don't own any Haolonggood models, it's hard to judge them by the promo pictures alone. They always look fantastic in hand. And they are soooo much of a better value than PNSO. I love PNSO, don't get me wrong, but they are extremely expensive models. Haolonggood is giving us these models for a very modest price, and many of them stand toe to toe with the quality PNSO gives us.

glad to hear that honestly because I am tempted to get some others

thomasw100

I prefer the orange version for several reasons. First, the gray is way too similar to the PNSO Zuul. Second, I prefer if the osteoderms do not have strong color highlights, because it is not very likely that there were strong color contrasts between osteoderms and the surrounding skin. The more bony color of the orange variants seems more plausible than what we see on the gray variant. Third, the eyes of the orange variant look better.

SidB

The orange-based one is really striking, the color reminds me of Favorite's old orange Spinosaurus. The others fine too: I'll be happy with either, though the first is my choice. I'll be interested to here more comments on the ongoing Euplocephalus/Scolosaurus debate.

Ludodactylus

This might be a situation where I get both color schemes.

Also, I stepped away from collecting for a bit and now it seems I have a significant backlog of Haolonggood releases to learn about!
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

suspsy

Both versions look fabulous, but I see no need to replace my Battat Euoplocephalus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Pliosaurking

Beautiful looking figures! I prefer the orange version myself, as its osteoderms have a nicer colouration.

SidB

Quote from: suspsy on April 16, 2024, 01:23:21 PMBoth versions look fabulous, but I see no need to replace my Battat Euoplocephalus.
I have both the old and new versions of that classic and will absolutely hold onto them.

Halichoeres

They both have their charms, but I'm leaning orange myself.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: