You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Megalodon not as big as previously thought

Started by VD231991, January 22, 2024, 04:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VD231991

A new study has just come out suggesting that the Megalodon shark isn't a super-sized predatory shark:
https://palaeo-electronica.org/content/2024/5079-megalodon-body-form

Although no complete skeleton is known for the Megalodon, the vertebral column IRSNB P 9893 has become crucial to tackling the question of the true length of this iconic prehistoric shark because it is the most complete postcranial specimen of the Megalodon ever found and provides never-before hints as to whether or not Megalodon was a truly super-colossal shark. I remember that the size of the arms comprising the holotype of Deinocheirus mirificus aroused varying interpretations of the true size of Deinocheirus, and it was only with the discovery of the first complete skeletons of Deinocheirus that the this taxon was a huge, humped ornithomimosaur with a hadrosaurid-like bill.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Doubt has already been put on this paper by multiple shark experts, so I'd take it with a massive pile of salt.

Newt

I'm confused. I just read the paper and it seems to come to the opposite conclusion - that previous reconstructions based on great whites actually underestimate the length of Otodus megalodon. So O. megalodon was even longer than previously suggested, but proportionately more slender than a great white.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Newt on January 22, 2024, 01:59:47 PMI'm confused. I just read the paper and it seems to come to the opposite conclusion - that previous reconstructions based on great whites actually underestimate the length of Otodus megalodon. So O. megalodon was even longer than previously suggested, but proportionately more slender than a great white.

Its impossible for paleontology fans to not frame every new discovery about a giant prehistoric predator as if its from the patch notes of a videogame describing an enemy being nerfed
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.