News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

A Question About Collecta

Started by suspsy, January 17, 2013, 04:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

To be honest, I hadn't even heard of Collecta before I started visiting the Dinosaur Toy Blog. I do not recall ever seeing their product in museums, although I may simply have not paid any attention to which dinosaur toys came from which line. Do they have a footing at all in North America beyond online stores, or are they more of a European thing?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

ajax

They are everywhere, even Australia and we get very few prehistoric lines here.  They are not museum replica's though that's why you probably wont see them in a museum. They are improving every year.

ajax

Also they were known as Procon for the first year or two of production.

SBell

Quote from: ajax on January 17, 2013, 04:44:34 AM
They are everywhere, even Australia and we get very few prehistoric lines here.  They are not museum replica's though that's why you probably wont see them in a museum. They are improving every year.

We had them at the (Canadian) museum I ran. They're probably still there, although I don't know what the future holds. But they are everywhere--the first major push was the original 6 dinos for the RSPCA through the the brand name Nature's Wonders.

Splonkadumpocus

I never saw any in the USA until my local museum at SDSMT got a few. They're based out of the UK though, so it would make sense that they'd be more European, as well as showing up in Canada and Australia (still technically part of the UK somehow?) but not the USA.

SBell

Quote from: Splonkadumpocus on January 17, 2013, 10:26:20 AM
I never saw any in the USA until my local museum at SDSMT got a few. They're based out of the UK though, so it would make sense that they'd be more European, as well as showing up in Canada and Australia (still technically part of the UK somehow?) but not the USA.

Australia is less part of the UK than Canada...and neither actually is (it's the Commonwealth).

SDSMT didn't have them in fall of 2011, so that's an improvement (I did get the older Safari Ceratosaurus there though!).

Procon (through whatever line) seems to have had more success in online retailers so far.

suspsy

I am seriously considering a quick trip to NYC during the March Break. If I am able to go, I will naturally be visiting the AMNH, and I shall make a point of keeping my eye out for Collecta.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on January 17, 2013, 07:11:27 PM
I am seriously considering a quick trip to NYC during the March Break. If I am able to go, I will naturally be visiting the AMNH, and I shall make a point of keeping my eye out for Collecta.

I'd have my doubts, but there's always a chance. The line wasn't even available, at all, at the Blackhills store.

Splonkadumpocus

Quote from: SBell on January 17, 2013, 01:34:21 PM
Quote from: Splonkadumpocus on January 17, 2013, 10:26:20 AM

Australia is less part of the UK than Canada...and neither actually is (it's the Commonwealth).

SDSMT didn't have them in fall of 2011, so that's an improvement (I did get the older Safari Ceratosaurus there though!).

Procon (through whatever line) seems to have had more success in online retailers so far.

SDSMT got them in Fall 2012, but only a few of them. I know we have the following, and possibly the baby Triceratops and baby Tyrannosaurus as well:

Baby Parasaurolophus
Baby Stegosaurus
Eotyrannus
Hatzegopteryx
Kosmoceratops
Minmi
Olorotitan
Ornithocheirus
Paraceratherium
Polacanthus
Psittacosaurus
Rebbachisaurus
Styracosaurus

The big question is whether this was a one-off thing or whether they'll stock more in the future.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.