You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

JURASSIC PARK--DNA plot loophole

Started by dragon53, October 02, 2024, 06:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon53

In a recent interview with Screen Rant, Ben Lamm, the co-founder of Colossal, a leading biotechnology company currently working to resurrect prehistoric woolly mammoths, offers more details regarding this DNA plot hole in Jurassic Park. Lamm confirms that the DNA extraction method used in the movie is indeed inaccurate. He also touches on how the movie gets Lysine wrong, revealing that Henry Wu's use of this amino acid to prevent the dinosaurs from surviving if they escaped wouldn't actually be effective. Check out Lamm's comment below:

"Taking DNA from amber with a drill and a syringe makes me roll my eyes. If our work was that easy, we'd likely already have a mammoth or even dinosaurs for that matter. It's much more accurate to see researchers crushing up bones in clean rooms in full PPE gowns to prep libraries in an effort to gather DNA.

"Also, the lysine dependence framed in the story as a way to keep the dinosaurs on the island won't actually work. Basically, all animals are already lysine dependent and nearly all foods contain lysine. So, this idea is problematic. Also, as opposed to the movie, we're not setting out to create dependencies in the animals we de-extinct. Instead, we are working to help repopulate species that will be able to survive on their own."

source: screenrant

Totoro

Well, I guess Hollywood can't be 100% accurate all the time... ;D
Old Kaiyodo chocolasaur diorama thread:
https://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3848

DinoToyForum

Wait, are you saying Jurassic Park isn't real!? :o

Totoro

Oh, heavens no, that was 100% real, for sure!  I was thinking more about the Godzilla stuff (don't tell avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon!)  :-X
Old Kaiyodo chocolasaur diorama thread:
https://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3848

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.