News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

princess diorama!

Started by Lady medusa, January 19, 2013, 05:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady medusa

this is a kit i finally built up. its a nanotyrannus by mike jones. i donno what scale it is, i just knew i really liked it. i added a bit of a feathery down to the back as if this youngster tyrannosaurus was starting to molt. i may end up reantiqueing it with an oil paint wash. but the last time i tried to antique her with an acrylic antique medium i about compromised the whole paint job. the base im super happy with though. comment please! i love hearing feedback. and i do know that this kits hands are incorrect in stance but its still beautiful!

http://ladymedusa218.deviantart.com/#/d5qrzhk

http://ladymedusa218.deviantart.com/#/d5qrz7k

http://ladymedusa218.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d5qryo1

http://ladymedusa218.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d5qryc2

http://ladymedusa218.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d5q9tw0

http://ladymedusa218.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d5q9tdu

Dan

Brilliant, very striking. I'm guessing "Princess" is the name you've given her? She does have that regal air.

Battatitan

I agree, it really is a beautiful yet dramatic piece.   :D She certainly is a princess!  ;D

Lady medusa

Quote from: Dan on January 19, 2013, 06:30:04 PM
Brilliant, very striking. I'm guessing "Princess" is the name you've given her? She does have that regal air.

Yep! That's her name lol! I've seen alot of Rex scenes with them named queen, king, and prince; so I figured I'll do princess. I thought about Jane but princess suited her :) . I donno if
It's just the colorations I used or what but when I look at her face on I can't help but think "wolf".

Thanks very much for liking my build :)

Jetoar

Very cool colors and secne. You have done a great work. Well done and congrats  ^-^!.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Dan

Where did you manage to find this kit, by the way? I don't see much of Mike Jones' work these days.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Nice work !  I love the coloration and the prey item is unique as well.

My only tiny comment is the shrubbery looks a little bright to be natural.

Lady medusa

Quote from: Dan on January 20, 2013, 12:09:00 AM
Where did you manage to find this kit, by the way? I don't see much of Mike Jones' work these days.

No you don't see his work much at all! Actually I found it through link and pen!

Lady medusa

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 20, 2013, 12:57:02 AM
Nice work !  I love the coloration and the prey item is unique as well.

My only tiny comment is the shrubbery looks a little bright to be natural.

Who says they have to be dull to be natural ;)
Remember flowers did grace the landscapes with their presence at this age in time. The plant thing though is a Lil new to me and I researched as much as I could with this but like dinos we can only guess the colors scale of the plants. Now the fern I'm not happy with, it looks too fake in my opinion. that's also suppose to be blood on it from "princess" first placing the prey there then moving it to it final spot to eat :)

Lady medusa

And by the way I like constructive criticism :) as long as its not to be mean obviously. I'm not in art classes anymore so I gotta get it somewhere :D

Blade-of-the-Moon

I meant no offense.  I suppose it depends on the plants in question, time of year, environment , and I guess a little of personal aesthetics... heh

I'm a fan of using found materials if I can, most of which around here is a duller color. I have seen moss that shade but it was dyed that way...just a bit too green for me. I think the duller colors look best myself just more mid-summer realistic.  If you look carefully some stores carry a dried moss that actually looks to have mini-ferns in it..an excellent type for smaller scaled dios.

The fern in your pics doesn't look too bad and the blood on it lends a nice bit of story there as well. Maybe add a little trail from it to the prey's current spot to help tie them together more ? :)

Lady medusa

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 20, 2013, 04:59:49 AM
I meant no offense.  I suppose it depends on the plants in question, time of year, environment , and I guess a little of personal aesthetics... heh

I'm a fan of using found materials if I can, most of which around here is a duller color. I have seen moss that shade but it was dyed that way...just a bit too green for me. I think the duller colors look best myself just more mid-summer realistic.  If you look carefully some stores carry a dried moss that actually looks to have mini-ferns in it..an excellent type for smaller scaled dios.

The fern in your pics doesn't look too bad and the blood on it lends a nice bit of story there as well. Maybe add a little trail from it to the prey's current spot to help tie them together more ? :)

Oh you didn't offend me at all! Just gave me some extra insight :) ! Actually I grabbed some lichen today to try out of some set ups. I guess being a chick I'm a fan of bright color. I was kinda thinking bright sunny day, plus I did use the red clay look on the soil cause well here where I live is red clay everywhere! I am a big fan of colorful plants but I am trying to be careful that I don't
Mimic domestic verigated plants of today(trying to but it's hard to resist! Lol) 

On the blood trail note, look at the photos of just the base. There's a blood trail from left edge of the base to the ferns and then to the carcass. It's light but I figure in life it wouldn't be a heavy blood trail.

By the way Chris I post pics of my giganotosaurus on my Facebook tonight! Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the pics posted on here :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Lady medusa on January 20, 2013, 05:30:01 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 20, 2013, 04:59:49 AM

Oh you didn't offend me at all! Just gave me some extra insight :) ! Actually I grabbed some lichen today to try out of some set ups. I guess being a chick I'm a fan of bright color. I was kinda thinking bright sunny day, plus I did use the red clay look on the soil cause well here where I live is red clay everywhere! I am a big fan of colorful plants but I am trying to be careful that I don't
Mimic domestic verigated plants of today(trying to but it's hard to resist! Lol) 

On the blood trail note, look at the photos of just the base. There's a blood trail from left edge of the base to the ferns and then to the carcass. It's light but I figure in life it wouldn't be a heavy blood trail.

By the way Chris I post pics of my giganotosaurus on my Facebook tonight! Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the pics posted on here :)

Cool.  I get you . I like color too ( hence my love of clowns for Halloween , everything else is so dark and grey usually )  but it's so hard to do realistically. lol 

Ah ! I see it now..was really hard to tell from the pics..nice !

I saw the Giga ! It's a really nice repaint and kudos on trying the faux water..I still haven't yet myself..lol

radman

I have  a Mike Jones kit of two Allosaurs attacking a young and skinny Camarasaurus; came with an elaborate base.  I got it on ebay a while back - can't remember the seller, though.

Lady medusa

Quote from: radman on January 20, 2013, 05:43:42 PM

I have  a Mike Jones kit of two Allosaurs attacking a young and skinny Camarasaurus; came with an elaborate base.  I got it on ebay a while back - can't remember the seller, though.

Oh man!!!! That sounds like a kit I would LOVE!!!!! I've never seen that kit! I will have to look that up! Usually when you look up mike jones work you mostly find fantasy and scifi or horror kits.

ajax

Very Nice, I like the plants and all, they could have been any colour and form. I believe there would be a large number of plants we have never found evidence for yet. I forgot to say the water lily's in the Giga diorama look great too.

Lady medusa

Thank you very much! I gotta say the water on that scene was the biggest pain ever! I probably changed the color 3 times. But the mossy green with the lily pads finally made me not to want to go crazy lol. I'm still very much in the experimenting stages with plants. I've seen some on eBay that are freaking awesome looking. They were made for dollhouses mainly so finding some without a pot was tough. I did find some and ordered ALOT cause I really don't have the patients to spend lots of time making micro plant parts. Though I would like to learn :)

radman

And here it is!

I wouldn't lay my hand in the fire to swear this is an actual Mike Jones kit, but I'm pretty sure that's what the seller said when I bought from ebay, several years ago.  Anyway, it's a pretty cool set, the allos are a little bit, well, blocky, I guess is the best way to describe them, but vibrant nonetheless.  Apparently one is attacking while the other has been smacked and is lying on its back; I know I don't have the exact positions right.  There are footprints for the camara, so that's in the right place.    There are some trees and stuff too. Anyway, I couldn't decide if I wanted it to be a jungle scene or a desert scene, hence the two color schemes on the first allo.   Eventually other things came up and I never got around to finishing it. :(

Lady medusa

Quote from: radman on January 22, 2013, 07:28:36 PM

And here it is!

I wouldn't lay my hand in the fire to swear this is an actual Mike Jones kit, but I'm pretty sure that's what the seller said when I bought from ebay, several years ago.  Anyway, it's a pretty cool set, the allos are a little bit, well, blocky, I guess is the best way to describe them, but vibrant nonetheless.  Apparently one is attacking while the other has been smacked and is lying on its back; I know I don't have the exact positions right.  There are footprints for the camara, so that's in the right place.    There are some trees and stuff too. Anyway, I couldn't decide if I wanted it to be a jungle scene or a desert scene, hence the two color schemes on the first allo.   Eventually other things came up and I never got around to finishing it. :(

That is a very interesting piece. I've never seen that kit before.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I like the Allo on his back..almost looks like a big puppy wanting to play..lol

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: