News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ancient Crab named after Michael Jackson

Started by stoneage, February 04, 2013, 07:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brontozaurus

Reminds me of when Gary Larson (creator of the Far Side) got an offer to name an owl parasite after him. He said yes, cause you have to take these opportunities when they come since it's not like you'll get offers to name new species of swans after yourself.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

SBell

Quote from: Brachiosaurus on January 08, 2014, 08:50:39 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 08, 2014, 01:40:47 AM
Quote from: Brachiosaurus on January 08, 2014, 12:56:23 AM
They named a koala parasite after Steve Irwin, I find that offensive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trypanosoma_irwini
They probably weren't trying to be intentionally offensive. Most likely it was to honour him, not to make a nasty statement.

I understand, I just think a parasite wasn't the best thing to name someone like him after.

Given that Steve Irwin worked hard to promote compassion and understanding of all living creatures (even the terrors of Australia), I doubt that there could be any insult to him by naming any animal after him. I think it's offensive that the honor is dubbed 'offensive' just because the animal is (to us) unpleasant.

postsaurischian

They probably weren't trying to be intentionally offensive. Most likely it was to honour him, not to make a nasty statement.

They named it right because they behave(d) the same.

Yes, this was intentionally offensive.
I always hated the guy and his lack of respect - mere grandstanding.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 02, 2014, 09:04:25 AM

They named it right because they behave(d) the same.

Yes, this was intentionally offensive.
I always hated the guy and his lack of respect - mere grandstanding.
My dad always complained about the same thing. He used to say that he should have just left the animals alone. Most snakes, for example, only attack as a last resort and are shy creatures. He felt that Steve Irwin was just trying to stir up the animals to get a performance for television.

However, I still feel he did a lot to help wildlife and is sort of a national treasure for Australia. He did have flaws, but also he did a lot to promote learning and respect of wildlife, and that can only be a good thing.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.