News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ancient Crab named after Michael Jackson

Started by stoneage, February 04, 2013, 07:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Quote from: stoneage on February 04, 2013, 07:57:15 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/oldest-spider-crabs-discovered-fossil-reef-163725216.html
I can understand naming new discoveries after famous naturalists or scientists, like Darwin for example.

But I don't get this. What does Michael Jackson have to do with crabs? ::)

Jetoar

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 04, 2013, 08:21:10 PM
I can understand naming new discoveries after famous naturalists or scientists, like Darwin for example.

I dont understand the world  :o............
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

ajax

Quote from: Jetoar on February 04, 2013, 09:26:13 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 04, 2013, 08:21:10 PM

I dont understand the world  :o.........

How embarassing for the poor old crabs.

Takama

Cretures are named after people and Things evean if there not part of the scientific community all the time

Dracorex was named after the Harry potter books

Gorjirasaurus was named after Godzilla

and There is a Lizard Called Obamadon

Also, if you for some chance, find a fossil and it turns out to be something never before seen. The fossil could be named after you

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Takama on February 04, 2013, 10:00:03 PM
Cretures are named after people and Things evean if there not part of the scientific community all the time

Also, if you for some chance, find a fossil and it turns out to be something never before seen. The fossil could be named after you
I am aware of all of those. I still think it's lame. It's a pointless self-insert.

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 04, 2013, 10:24:07 PM
Quote from: Takama on February 04, 2013, 10:00:03 PM

I am aware of all of those. I still think it's lame. It's a pointless self-insert.

It wasn't a pointless self-insert.  It says it was discovered shortly after Michael Jackson died.  Seems like the scientist who named it, Adiël Klompmaker, was a fan and wanted to honor him.   

There are names given to organisms far more strange than that.  You know what Mastodon means right?  There is also a dinosaur bone (now reassigned to megalosaurus thank goodness) named Scrotum humanum.  Yes, it means exactly what it sounds like.   :o

Simon

Origin of mastodon:

1805–15; < NL < Gk mast(ós) breast + -odṓn -toothed

Takama

tyrantqueen

The scrotum humanum was named such because it resembled a human...erm you know what  :o

What about the crab? Does it resemble Michael Jackson somehow? Maybe it does a mean sideways moonwalk >:D

Gwangi

There is also the recently named Beyonce horsefly (Scaptia beyonceae).

This apparently happens pretty often.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_organisms_named_after_famous_people

Brontozaurus

There is also a Pleistocene horned turtle that was given the generic name of Ninjemys. I don't even think I need to explain that one.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

SBell

Quote from: Brontozaurus on March 10, 2013, 11:56:07 PM
There is also a Pleistocene horned turtle that was given the generic name of Ninjemys. I don't even think I need to explain that one.

And what about the friend-to-all-children turtle species Sinemys gamera. Another one that requires no explanation (or should. If it does I am very disappointed).

stoneage

Quote from: SBell on March 11, 2013, 01:02:35 AM

And what about the friend-to-all-children turtle species Sinemys gamera. Another one that requires no explanation (or should. If it does I am very disappointed).

Well in a similar vein there is Gojirasaurus, although it seems rather dubious now.

SBell

Quote from: stoneage on March 11, 2013, 02:22:25 PM
Quote from: SBell on March 11, 2013, 01:02:35 AM

Well in a similar vein there is Gojirasaurus, although it seems rather dubious now.

Yeah, Takama mentioned that one--and I believe it is a nomen dubium. Which is a shame, since it's a great name.

Brontozaurus

Another great name lost to scientific practice is the Miocene snake Monthypythonoides. It's in the genus Morelia now.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Brachiosaurus

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Brachiosaurus on January 08, 2014, 12:56:23 AM
They named a koala parasite after Steve Irwin, I find that offensive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trypanosoma_irwini
They probably weren't trying to be intentionally offensive. Most likely it was to honour him, not to make a nasty statement.

Brachiosaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 08, 2014, 01:40:47 AM
Quote from: Brachiosaurus on January 08, 2014, 12:56:23 AM
They named a koala parasite after Steve Irwin, I find that offensive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trypanosoma_irwini
They probably weren't trying to be intentionally offensive. Most likely it was to honour him, not to make a nasty statement.

I understand, I just think a parasite wasn't the best thing to name someone like him after.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: