News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Neat Tyrannosaur kit from Shinzen Takeuchi

Started by Seijun, February 24, 2013, 12:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seijun

I never see this guy's kits for sale and I rarely hear him mentioned, but I visited his gallery page last night and saw the most bad-@ss trex model I have seen in a long while (probably my favorite trex model of all time)

http://www.niji.or.jp/home/shinzen/TyrannoGrowthCurveOrd.html

Here are the rest of his models:
http://www.niji.or.jp/home/shinzen/models.html

My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

0onarcissisto0

Holy cow!!! Why do we not talk more about this guy? What gives??
If the sculptor has nothing but science his hands will have no art.

- DK -

Simon

Shinzen's models are unavailable outside Japan, and there they command top dollar.  He is probably THE most desireable Japanese paleoartist (and he has made several Godzilla sculpts that are every bit as good as Yuji Sakai's best).

I have his Red Trex that he made for the Sega line in vinyl.  I have not seen his resin kits even on Yahoo Japan auction sites in a year of prowling there.

Seijun

There are Japanese shopping services that could probably help me purchase this kit, however the laying rex is $300 :( I would seriously consider trying to get him but I'm not sure I could save up that much money.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

tyrantqueen

Wow, gorgeous kit....reminds me of David Krentz's work a little bit. Why does Japan always get the good stuff (of everything)? ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Excellent. There just aren't enough theropods or even other dinosaurs available in poses like this.  As toys their playability is limited but for collectors...you get tired of seeing the exact same pose time and again.

Shinzen does some amazing work but like it has been observed it's really hard to get his pieces. Unless he does commercial work like the Sega Dino King Rex..and it's not too easy to locate.

Looking at the page the reason it reminds us so much of David's Sideshow Rex is that both are elderly animals.  It looks like this one is part of a series and he already has an adult, sub-adult, and hatchling Rex models. Pretty cool. 

s.foulkes

Im trying to get my hands on this set (best ive ever seen by the way) and i'll let you know if i can get it, if i do score i will post it here to show. wish me luck. and money.
Bringing back the world of Dinosaurs one sculpt at a time!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Good luck bud, it would be an awesome set to own. ;D

dinoking

FYI - the large scale styracosaurus vinyl model from the X-Plus company is an orginal Shinzen sculpt as well as the Sega 1/24th scale striding vinyl T.Rex .

Gwangi

That sculpt really is a thing of beauty, and to think it is part of a set! The elderly rex really does stand out among the rest though, such an unusual portrayal the "tyrant king". Japan really is the place to be for dinosaur enthusiasts.

Horridus

The Sega Shinzen T. rex is my favourite model in my collection.

As for these, they're spectacular - if I had to pick one (not that I can pick any of them :(), I'd go for the Jane-esque sub-adult. Just an exciting sculpt.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

tyrantqueen

What scale are these models? I don't understand why they're so hard to find, even in Japan. Did they have an extremely limited run or something?

potsmokindino

Wow, I've never heard of this guy and now he's one of my favorites! He's done not only an elderly T.rex but juveniles AS WELL!! :o

I've always wanted a hatchling, yearling and teenage tyrannosaurus models but none of the prominent guys have produced these life stages of T.rex! Such a shame.  :P

Funny thing is that his elderly T.rex looks quite a bit like my Zhuchengtyrannus painting, "A Dragon in His Glade".  Interesting coincidence :)

I'd love to own any of his models. There's so much character in each of them.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.