News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Guess the figure!!!!

Started by Primeval12, March 20, 2012, 08:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 21, 2020, 07:05:07 PM
Yep. Old Königsaurier, how it is called by them.

Your turn avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres
That means "King DInosaur" in German, right?

CityRaptor

Literally it would be Kingsaur, but yeah, King Dinosaur would probably make more sense. You know, despite that thing looking more like an Iguanodon.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

It's a figure of an extant species, although it's generally marketed as part of a prehistoric line. Extinct members of its clade have not been made into toys at all (AFAIK).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 23, 2020, 12:44:35 AM
It's a figure of an extant species, although it's generally marketed as part of a prehistoric line. Extinct members of its clade have not been made into toys at all (AFAIK).
Safari ltd frilled shark

Loon

Halichoeres

Both solid guesses. I guess 'clade' is open to interpretation, but several sharks have been made as toys, and the Kaiyodo Axelrodichthys is an extinct toy coelacanth. To be more precise, the last common ancestor of this species with any extinct species made as a toy is about 300 million years in the past.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Loon

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Is it a Tuatara? Though, I'm seeing a few toys, and the two by Colorata and Kaiyodo are seemingly marketed as prehistoric.

Crackington

The new Horseshoe Crab from Collecta?

Halichoeres

You know, neither of those is the one I'm thinking of, but I think they both satisfy all the criteria. No extinct rhynchocephalians have been made as toys, and the Kaiyodo tuatara was definitely in the Dinotales line. The closest thing to a horseshoe crab that has a toy is Dubbolimulus (Yowie), but I think its common ancestor with modern xiphosurans is more than 300 million years distant. I think avatar_Loon @Loon could claim victory for being the first to check all the boxes, but if you'd like to keep guessing I'll say that the extant species I'm thinking of lives in many places, but is native only to China, all other living individuals being descended from the one Chinese population.

Pachyrhinosaurus

My guess would be the CollectA Ginkgo tree.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

SidB

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on September 24, 2020, 08:06:50 PM
The extqnt survivor from China is Ginkgo biloba - Maidenhair Tree, now planted worldwide as an ornamental.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on September 24, 2020, 08:06:50 PM

That's the one! It's specifically Gingko biloba, but none of its extinct relatives have toys, to my knowledge. Your turn avatar_Pachyrhinosaurus @Pachyrhinosaurus

Ravonium

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 24, 2020, 07:39:56 PM
No extinct rhynchocephalians have been made as toys,

I vaguely remember you having a hypothesis that the 'lizard' that came with the REBOR Dimorphodons was some sort of rhynocephalian. Could be wrong though.

Pachyrhinosaurus

This figure as a rare example of a clade that is under-represented as toys. The animal is often mistaken for an unrelated, modern, animal by those not in the loop with paleontology. It is very well-sculpted and painted for its size.
Save Dinoland USA!

Halichoeres

Hmm, that's a stumper. I'll have to think about that.

Quote from: Ravonium on September 25, 2020, 08:08:01 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 24, 2020, 07:39:56 PM
No extinct rhynchocephalians have been made as toys,

I vaguely remember you having a hypothesis that the 'lizard' that came with the REBOR Dimorphodons was some sort of rhynocephalian. Could be wrong though.

Yeah, you remember my hypothesis correctly. Rebor never specified as far as I'm aware, and the figure is pretty nondescript. Both early lizards and rhynchocephalians were roughly coeval with Dimorphodon, but I honestly have no way to distinguish them for that figure.

Halichoeres

Halichoeres

Pachyrhinosaurus

It is not. You do have the correct time period, though.
Save Dinoland USA!

Halichoeres

Halichoeres

Still wrong, I guess. Any other guesses? My curiosity is piqued.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: