News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Zbrush Dinosaurs and 3D Prints

Started by Gorgonzola, March 11, 2013, 02:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 12, 2014, 11:55:42 PM
If you get a quote for a pre-order of the 1:15 I might be interested. :)
Me too. Love the bellowing pose.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 13, 2014, 02:31:16 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 12, 2014, 11:55:42 PM
If you get a quote for a pre-order of the 1:15 I might be interested. :)
Me too. Love the bellowing pose.
Yes; the running pose (or bellowing) is pretty darn awesome!  ;D
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

tyrantqueen

Would the 1/20 be printable as a Shapeways print? I'm guessing this guy wasn't particularly large by ceratopsian standards.

Btw, not only does Nasuto look like a bovine with those horns, but it's actually bovine sized (4.9 ft) compared to the average length of a cow (5 feet) ;D

Gorgonzola

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 13, 2014, 06:05:56 AM
Would the 1/20 be printable as a Shapeways print? I'm guessing this guy wasn't particularly large by ceratopsian standards.

Btw, not only does Nasuto look like a bovine with those horns, but it's actually bovine sized (4.9 ft) compared to the average length of a cow (5 feet) ;D

It'd be a size able print at 1/20 - that 4.9 feet is for the length of it's skull, not the whole body. I've seen reports for the body length to be between 15-20 feet. So it's comparable to Kosmoceratops.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gorgonzola on February 13, 2014, 12:17:04 PM

It'd be a size able print at 1/20 - that 4.9 feet is for the length of it's skull, not the whole body. I've seen reports for the body length to be between 15-20 feet. So it's comparable to Kosmoceratops.
Of course...I should have known :-[

Gorgonzola

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 13, 2014, 04:52:10 PM
Quote from: Gorgonzola on February 13, 2014, 12:17:04 PM

Of course...I should have known :-[

No worries - way I see it if it was cow sized it'd just be a larger scale then ;D

I'm still trying out some different poses to decide upon for the 1/15-1/20 scale model, but I'm also experimenting with some poses for the smaller scales. I'm trying out some ideas for models that are interacting, right now the two pairs I have in mind are two bucks fighting while the other are two nasutoceratops preening each other (specifically, one is nibbling at an itch on the other's neck.) If anyone has any suggestions for any other ideas feel free - I'm shooting to keep this limited to about 5-6 models for 1/72 and 1/40 each, with the larger scale only being one model (but much nicer in quality compared to Shapeways, naturally.)

tyrantqueen

What about galloping? Although I'm not sure on the current consensus on the galloping thing. Is it even possible for ceratopsians?

Perhaps eating...like this classic Burian artwork, but updated of course

And also, how about one lying down? I don't think I've seen that done very often for ceratopsians either :)

Just tossing some ideas around :)

wings

Quote from: Gorgonzola on February 12, 2014, 10:13:35 PM

At this angle you're probably going to see the ear openings as well (since the openings are behind the quadrates).

As for the hands, it seems unlikely that the last two digits (4 and 5) would bear hooves (see links below):

http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/dspace/handle/2246/1372
http://palaeo-electronica.org/2007_1/step/fig4.htm

As far as we know from all the manus materials of ceratopsians (basal neoceratopsians included); the last two digits always end with small nubbins of bones (rounded) and the first three digits normally terminate with "hoof bones" (they are flattened and crecent-shaped).

Gorgonzola

Wings: Good point about the toes, I've modified them so once I go to production the last two digits will be hoof-less.

I think I may have misplaced the ear opening though now that you mention it  :-\  Trying to figure out where the quadrates are on a ceratopsian skull, and I'm thinking I may have been off on it (Wouldn't be the first time.)

Here are some more pose ideas - the original idea of two of these guys pushing their heads against each other proved difficult, those horns don't allow for much allowance! I've currently settled on having two of them sort of squaring off/circling each other, but I'd like to try it again a bit later and see if there's a way to interlock these two more.

I also tried out texturing the model, just for fun. The paint scheme is based off of one of Copper's wonderful paint jobs. If only I could paint this well with the real models!

tyrantqueen

ZoPteryx

Really bison-esque feel to them, so cool!

wings

Quote from: Gorgonzola on February 17, 2014, 10:22:33 PM

I think I may have misplaced the ear opening though now that you mention it  :-\  Trying to figure out where the quadrates are on a ceratopsian skull, and I'm thinking I may have been off on it (Wouldn't be the first time.)
In majority of ceratopsians, the quadrate tends to be partially overlapped by the quadratojugal (which forms the back portion of the jugal horn) when viewed from the side (see figure 1 below- "quadrate" in red). And if you are viewing from the back you'll see that the base of the quadrate provides an articulation surface for the lower jaw joint (the quadratojugal is merely in contact to the side of it) . Since you're not constructing the skull so you might like to treat the two (quadrate and quadratojugal) as one single unit.

SpartanSquat

I love the colour pattern of Nasutuceratops! Looks very intimidating with that red and dangerous with that black!

Gorgonzola

Ah, looks like I got the ear opening more or less right then.  I have it in about that area, perhaps a little higher than it should be from what it looks like.

Still roughing out some poses, but I figured I'd put these up as a treat for everybody - render tests!  Took some different render passes in Zbrush and composited them in Photoshop.  Makes for very lovely shots of the models, but I need to learn how to affect the lighting a bit more. Would love to figure out how to create a matte background too at some point.

postsaurischian

:D Wow! These are all awesome! I'd love to see this as a resin model for Dan!

SpartanSquat

Really impressive the last pic! One question mate: Which matcap have this models?

Gorgonzola

Quote from: RolandEden on February 24, 2014, 07:19:20 PM
Really impressive the last pic! One question mate: Which matcap have this models?

Right, so here's the semi-tricky bit of it (and it's gonna get super technical for the folks who don't use Zbrush, so feel free to tune out.)

The model is composed of three matcaps that get composited in photoshop - flat color, basic material, and double shader (or trishader).

Flat color is used to capture all the texture painting done on the model.  No other data is captured on this pass.

Basic material captures the most basic stuff - shadows, ambient occlusion, depth, and mask.  These each get exported out as separate .psd files.

Trishader - This is used explicitly to capture light detail.  Since I can modify the qualities of the material and save out some different load outs with this material, I use it to capture general diffuse lighting, specular hits, and rim light.

After that it all gets imported into photoshop and composited together to create the image.  There's trickery involved using gradient maps to control the fall off and color of each layer, and the depth layer is used to control the lens blur, but it's honestly pretty easy to figure out once you know how to do it.  I hit a snag in trying to figure it out though because I normally use photoshop to draw and not, y'know, for it's intended use of compositing/correction, so some of the things I didn't know about until I looked them up.

if I wanted to make a nice render of it as, say, a clay sculpture or something without any texture painting, then it'd be the matcap material I want to use plus the trishader material.  Matcap material will capture the basic render without shadows, shadows, AO, depth, and mask while the trishader would capture the diffuse/rim/speculiar lighting.

wings

Quote from: Gorgonzola on February 24, 2014, 02:59:47 PM
Ah, looks like I got the ear opening more or less right then.  I have it in about that area, perhaps a little higher than it should be from what it looks like.
Not quite, because you are having the opening behind the jaw opening muscle (m. depressor mandibulae).

edu

Bokisaurus

Here are my two 1:40 Amarga all painted. I decided to paint them as a pair instead of differently. Female is the one rearing ( without the yellow spines).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: