You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What About a Walking with Dinosaurs Remake?

Started by Balaur, March 24, 2013, 03:41:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do You want the BBC to Remake Walking with Dinosaurs?

Yes
12 (66.7%)
No
5 (27.8%)
Not Sure
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Balaur

I have been thinking, how would a remake of Walking with Dinosaurs go? I think that they should remake it, and that if they do, I would want them to do it to make it accurate. Walking with Dinosaurs is so great, I love it to pieces, it is my favourite dinosaur documentary, but it is so outdated. With hope of the Walking with Dinosaurs 3D becoming a masterpiece vanishing, an updated version is a must. If they made it the most accurate dinosaur documentary to date, it will be the most awesome documentary ever. I doubt they will ever remake it, but I would be the happiest person in the world if they do, but if they don't, I will never stop crying.

So, all my friends, will you join me and hope together to that the BBC will decide to remake the greatest dinosaur documentary of all time, or will you join me in my sulking and not hope that the BBC will decide to remake the greatest dinosaur documentary of all time.

I worded that very bizzarely.  :))

So, go ahead, what do you think?

Also, how do you make a poll on this forum? I've yet to figure that out, that would help with my question. Thanks to anyone who helps me!

Nevermind, I figured out how to add a poll.

Brontozaurus

There's so much they could do if they just updated aspects of the original. Feathers and hands aside, there could be an actual British theropod in episode 4 instead of the weirdly out-of-place Utahraptor. Not to mention the possibility of long-tailed leallynasaurs.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Roselaar

I don't want a true remake, I just want new episodes. Preferably without Nigel Marven. Something along the lines of Planet Dinosaur maybe.

jtn144

Quote from: Roselaar on March 24, 2013, 02:05:04 PM
I don't want a true remake, I just want new episodes. Preferably without Nigel Marven. Something along the lines of Planet Dinosaur maybe.
I agree, a total remake isn't necessary. I would like to see a new set of episodes perhaps around Acrocanthosaurus & Baryonyx.

Balaur

Quote from: Brontozaurus on March 24, 2013, 11:17:29 AM
There's so much they could do if they just updated aspects of the original. Feathers and hands aside, there could be an actual British theropod in episode 4 instead of the weirdly out-of-place Utahraptor. Not to mention the possibility of long-tailed leallynasaurs.

I would love if they had Utahraptor actually in North America, and have maybe a Baryonyx in Europe. The long-tailed Leaellynasaura is a must, because, apart from artists renditions, I've enver seen a long tailed leaellynasaura on screen. As a Leaellynasaura lover myself, that would make my life.

FUTABA

Of course I'd love to see that, whether it would be a direct remake with fully updated theories and technology, or whether they just expanded it and made more spinoffs and such. It'd be a win win situation.

Hopefully after the release of the movie (assuming it's a success), the BBC might consider something along those lines to capitalize on it.
I really really like blue things.

Balaur

Quote from: FUTABA on July 12, 2013, 09:31:59 PM
Of course I'd love to see that, whether it would be a direct remake with fully updated theories and technology, or whether they just expanded it and made more spinoffs and such. It'd be a win win situation.

Hopefully after the release of the movie (assuming it's a success), the BBC might consider something along those lines to capitalize on it.

What do you mean by fully updated theories and technology? Showing the evidence behind what was just shown like Planet Dinosaur, and technology by better CGI?

I know that some people might want to have a remake be like Planet Dinosaur, but I actually prefer not to have that. It would not feel like Walking with Dinosaurs, and It wouldn't feel like a nature documentary. By the looks of the movie, the CGI and animation is flawless, especially the feathers, which look life like, a remake would be wonderful with accurately feathered non-shrink wrapped dinosaurs and have that realism of CGI and animation.

The funny thing is that, I wouldn't trust other people to remake the series but myself, because they may not care about the science. But from what Scott Hartman said, when he consulted for the movie, he said the production team never ignore or not care about the science.

Actually, I would trust the production  team that made the movie, because of that, so, if Evergreen films redid the series, it should be okay.

FUTABA

Nah, I don't mean like Planet Dinosaur, as good as I think PD is, it's it's own thing, and I too would hate for WWD to lose it's nature documentary feel. It's one of it's best features and it's partly what makes it so unique.

The CGI in WWD is pretty great, even for today (better than Planet Dinosaur's in almost all aspects), it's just that it could be done better nowadays (the blending with the puppetry for example).

Basically by 'fully updated theories' I just meant depicting the latest evidence (which, let's face it, would mean WWD would have to make a lot of changes, which would warrant a remake, as no-one wants to simply see the exact same thing over again just animated slightly differently. Besides, it'd be a laughing stock if they presented the same info from 1999, but that's obvious...)

Just basically what you said in your initial post, it's outdated. I can't really elaborate much on that without patronising everyone.

docronnie

I voted No.

Might as well make a new one.  Let it stay a classic.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

tyrantqueen

I voted "no" as well. 

WWD had its time. Remaking the series wouldn't add anything for me personally. Spending money on a remake that just adds some feathers and corrects a couple of errors? Waste of money.
And as for new episodes...well, that's not really a remake then, is it?

John

They could just do new episodes or specials,while just being up to date.There's no reason they would need to adhere to an inaccuracies from 1999 should they revisit the same time or place so a remake of old episodes wouldn't be needed. :)

Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Everything_Dinosaur

From what we understand the BBC have no plans to make any more prehistoric animal series in the "Walking with - Dinosaurs, Beasts, Cavemen etc.  The combination of puppetry, CGI and locations was very expensive, in terms of screen time the Walking with Dinosaurs programmes were the most expensive that the BBC have ever made in the nature/doc/entertainment genre.  The corporation used some dinosaur footage as test material for their 3-D output but this project has been effectively scrapped.  BBC management are going down the entirely CGI based road for future programme making such as Planet Dinosaur.  The feature length film "Walking with Dinosaurs" is still scheduled to be released in cinemas on December 20th as far as we know: details and trailer here: http://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2013/05/03/walking-with-dinosaurs-3-d-movie-trailer.html

FUTABA

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 13, 2013, 06:21:21 AM
I voted "no" as well. 

WWD had its time. Remaking the series wouldn't add anything for me personally. Spending money on a remake that just adds some feathers and corrects a couple of errors? Waste of money.
And as for new episodes...well, that's not really a remake then, is it?

Fair point. I didn't really look past the theoretical fun of it all to see the business side of things.

Still though, if they were to remake, (as unlikely as it is) I would hardly complain.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.