News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosauriana: The Dinosaur Collector’s Reference Guide

Started by UK, March 26, 2013, 07:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UK

Quote from: DC on January 14, 2014, 05:08:06 PM
Joe Demarco has been a long time collector and authored articles for PT.  he has always been one my best sources.  This is the most comprehensive publication you will find on dinosaur collectibles anywhere. This eBook contains editorial reviews on over 200 commercial vintage dinosaur collection sets produced from the year 1900 to 1993—(the beginning of the Jurassic Park Age) and even many afterwards In effect it deals mainly in "vintage" dinosaur collectibles although some exceptions were made and there are a few more modern sets reviewed. This Guide contains close to 3000 photographs (Yes, 3000) of many of the great dinosaur sets in the world from the classics like Linde, Marx, Alva, SRG, Abbeon, Mignot, NF, Millers, Chialu, to the mid line classics like Invicta, Bullyland Battat and Carnegie Safari and Schleich to the more mundane everyday sets like Ajax, Timmee and Tootsietoy.

I just got my E copy and it is great.  I recommend it to everyone on th eforum.
can be purchased at www.demarxo.com with paypal.

thanks Randy

Not sure if you have seen this yet.....

Long time waiting.
Dinosauriana on disc (PDF format on DVD)

CityRaptor

Well, that would probably be a nice thing to own, but it does not ship to Germany, so meh.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

UK

Blade-of-the-Moon

Not too up on disc versions..this would be a more visual type of thing I would think and something I would rather sit back in a chair , hold in my hands and flip through.

sauroid

i dont understand why the seller is very selective regarding the country where they can ship. weird. im sure that would make a lot of sale. i'll make sure not to support this endeavor when it becomes widely available.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

UK

There are many reasons why, may be just an oversight or past experience sending items to various countries. My own experience shows not all postal services are equal

tyrantqueen

The companion book to this CD was discussed here: http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,805.0.html

It looks really interesting, but the author seems to have a strange attitude. He has refused to sell to a few DTF members (including myself) for some reason. Perhaps he is afraid of getting negative feedback?

CityRaptor

Who knows. Perhaps we made him angry when talking about his attitude. Or seeming attitude.

Given that the CD is a companion piece, I assume that it has info the book does not and vice versa.

Oh no

UK

Tyrantqueen, how did the seller block you?

Knowing one of the contributors well, this has been a long hard slog, full of passion and commitment. I am not sure they would run from constructive criticism, especially as the book is still many months away. Feedback could be used to make minor improvements?

Contact the seller, he seemed very friendly to me and and I genuinely have never spoken to them before.

I am going to get one tomorrow to support them and ensure we get a hard copy of this project.

CityRaptor

Well, he pretty much blocked E-Mails from every member who tried to contact him back then. So good luck.
Oh no

DinoToyForum

Simon, you know "no intentional personal attacks" is forum rule number 1. It's uncalled for, so please don't do it, and please remove the one you just posted. Thanks - Admin.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: UK on March 27, 2013, 10:38:28 PM
Tyrantqueen, how did the seller block you?

Knowing one of the contributors well, this has been a long hard slog, full of passion and commitment. I am not sure they would run from constructive criticism, especially as the book is still many months away. Feedback could be used to make minor improvements?

Contact the seller, he seemed very friendly to me and and I genuinely have never spoken to them before.

I am going to get one tomorrow to support them and ensure we get a hard copy of this project.
I emailed him, he seemed happy to sell to me at first until I gave him my name and address. After that, I got no response from him, even after several repeated attempts at communication :-\

It just seems like he is really only hurting himself with this attitude. If there is any place he should have invested his time into advertising his book at, it is this forum. Perhaps it's because the forum has "toy" in the title, and therefore anyone who collects toys is not a serious collector?? ::)

Simon

Something's not clear to me - OK, so he won't sell to members of this forum, but how does he connect your real name and address to DTF?  Unless you mentioned something about the DTF in your email to him?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Simon on March 28, 2013, 05:06:11 AM
Something's not clear to me - OK, so he won't sell to members of this forum, but how does he connect your real name and address to DTF?  Unless you mentioned something about the DTF in your email to him?
Yes, I mentioned that I was from DTF and that I had a thread dedicated to his book on there. He must have also seen from my address and name that I was from the UK and female- thus putting two and two together that I was the one who started the entire thread on him.

Either he is ignoring me, or my email got lost somehow :/

Blade-of-the-Moon

I sent a query to his email asking about purchasing a copy giving my real name . He replied back asking if I was "Blade-of-the-Moon " on the DTF..to which I honestly replied that I was and he didn't contact me back after that.

He does have high standards..no JP toys were worth his time from what I read ...that's where a lot of my generation's love of dinosaurs really came out he also has a lot of opinions to express on his websites many of which I don't agree with but to turn down customers willing to hand you..80.00 for the book I think it was ?..  he is only hurting himself .

sauroid

it is very strange and ironic to wage war against the very people you are trying to convince to buy your product.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Simon

This brought to mind this clip ... wait for Michael Palin's "money line" towards the end of the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2vAdytmkBc

tyrantqueen

UK

Bought mine this morning, shall be very interesting to see this grand work. Hopefully the demand for the 'virtual' work will ensure the creation of the hard copy.

I received a message from the seller and indeed it was an error in the listing that has unfortunately black listed a large chunk of Western Europe, this will be addressed once the item is relisted in 5 days. No offence was meant according to them.

I did send them a link to the forum and this thread in particular, his response was that in no way did they wish to upset anyone, the whole project scope was enormous and I can imagine fraught with difficulties. May be their reluctance to share information was due to the nature of how frail these projects can be and how many fail.

Finally in terms of scope, just look at Ebay and see the multitude of items out there. How could that be contained in one volume and be portable? I think many lines we all love could have been considered but we need to respect the Authour's decision on the content.

Steve

CityRaptor

Now, this sounds much better.

Edit: Seems to be fixed already.
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: