News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Vivarium / Karlsuhe

Started by postsaurischian, April 09, 2013, 04:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

There's a Quetzalcoatlus model right in front of our Museum of Natural History in Karlsruhe.
It looks just like the CollectA Hatzegopteryx ;D!

The 'Flying Reptiles' exhibition starts on April, 25th. Of course I'm gonna go there and take some pics ;).

juju1305

OMG, it's esaxtly the same as the CollectA hatzegopteryx :) I'm so going there, it's just an hour from home

CityRaptor

Likely going there in September.

Pretty awesome!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Balaur

Wow! That Hatzegoteryx is great!

radman

Please, let's see a pic of our resident rocker dude standing in front of it!  Sculpture does look great btw.  ;D

postsaurischian

Quote from: radman on April 09, 2013, 06:31:06 PM
Please, let's see a pic of our resident rocker dude standing in front of it!

That's the plan ;)!

P.S.: You know, there are only two kinds of music: Rock and Roll ;D!

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

postsaurischian

Quote from: radman on April 09, 2013, 06:31:06 PM
Please, let's see a pic of our resident rocker dude standing in front of it!  Sculpture does look great btw.  ;D

Here's the pic :):

I've been to the exhibition. It's not that big. Maybe not worth a longer voyage.
It's not a Pterosaur exhibition, it's about flying & swimming in general and just two rooms are filled with paleontologic stuff.
The Pterosaur room is pretty big though. Here are some pics .......

A plesiosaur (Rhomaleosaurus?) for Dr. Admin :)

Jetoar

Wonderful images of this exhibition  ^-^. Thanks for sharing friend.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

DinoToyForum

That's no Rhomaleosaurus. At least not any more. I should know, I named it ;) ;D (It's a cast of Meyerasaurus)

Great pics!

Edit - also, what's the plesiosaur model supposed to be? I'm guessing Hauffiosaurus, given the location?

postsaurischian

I was thinking the same. From some of your posts Rhomaleosaurus looked different (shorter neck, larger head, aso.), but they name it Rhomaleosaurus victor.
Here's a pic of the skeleton's describtion:

Should I contact the museum's director to change that?

Unfortunately I didn't take notice of the other plesiosaur model's describtion :-[. Maybe I can do this at a later date.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 14, 2013, 02:51:16 PM
I was thinking the same. From some of your posts Rhomaleosaurus looked different (shorter neck, larger head, aso.), but they name it Rhomaleosaurus victor.
Here's a pic of the skeleton's describtion:

Should I contact the museum's director to change that?

Unfortunately I didn't take notice of the other plesiosaur model's describtion :-[. Maybe I can do this at a later date.

Yeah, Meyerasaurus victor was known as Rhomaleosaurus victor before we renamed it in 2010. Museums tend to be slow at updating their labels.

Gryphoceratops

Awesome photos!  I wonder who the artist is behind those models.  The Pterodactylus is especially cool in my opinion. 

ITdactyl

Is the grounded model outside the museum really labelled Hatzegopteryx?  I know the flying one is, based on the museum website.

postsaurischian

Quote from: ITdactyl on June 21, 2013, 07:16:00 AM
Is the grounded model outside the museum really labelled Hatzegopteryx?  I know the flying one is, based on the museum website.

I had another look at the outside model and it's labelled 'Quetzalcoatlus'.
I just named the thread after the impression I had when I saw the first pic which immediately reminded me of the CollectA figure.

By the way - what is the main difference between these two species anyway?

ITdactyl

I probably "sounded" like a douche asking that question...  >:D  Yeah, found the confirmation on the museum's website.

Apparently it is a Quetzalcoatlus.  While the flying model inside is a Hatzegopteryx (which replaced their old flying quetz model).  Apparently, they're also adding a Nyctosaurus soon.

Not sure how the two differ in reality.  The models seem to have a slight difference in the jaws.  I'm reading through related articles but can't find a substantial answer to THAT question.

wings

Quote from: ITdactyl on June 22, 2013, 12:18:04 PM
...Not sure how the two differ in reality.  The models seem to have a slight difference in the jaws.  I'm reading through related articles but can't find a substantial answer to THAT question.
You might need to wait quite a bit longer on the description on Quetzalcoatlus to make the comparison...

"no definition for Quetzalcoatlus, the referral of the Q. sp. material to this taxon is also questionable....despite...unearthing almost 40 years ago, there is almost nothing written or illustrated of Quetzalcoatlus...Texas Memorial Museum has placed a strict embargo on the release of information about Quetzalcoatlus until the full monographic description has been properly published. This has been promised since at least the 1980s and, in the meantime, getting access to the material seems to be extremely difficult..." (from http://pterosaur-net.blogspot.com.au/2010/05/embarrassing-questions-on.html)

postsaurischian

I took some more pics at our Vivarium.
Here is our well known Procynosuchus, the model the Bullyland figure is based on:

....... and its cute neighbours (I wish Bully had made a figure of this one too) :):

Newt

Those are very nice exhibits! I wish there were something like that near me.

The Procynosuchus looks strikingly odd with its snake eyes and carnivoran-like rhinarium. Sort of like an alien badger.

postsaurischian

:) ... some more pics from the Vivarium ...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: