News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rich72's Pimp My Papo

Started by Rich72, April 20, 2013, 02:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmperorDinobot

Goldensamuel

Beautiful, The spino is my favorite.

Battatitan

Amazing repaints  :D I like the Carno and much-improved raptors the most.

It would be interesting to see a work-in-progress. do you have any you could show us? I know that a magician never reveals his secrets but your repaints are intrinsically beautiful  :-[

Hellraptor

Really nice repaints :) i feel inspierd to the same to my own papos :)
Taking dinosaurs of this islandis the worst idea in the long, sad story of bad ideas

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Rich72, how much would you charge to do this repaint for, say, the Spino and Raptor?
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Rich72

Hi, thanks for the comments and sorry for the absence. I have been asked on another site to sell a figure or repaint one.... I've never really thought about it so I don't know what is reasonable. I'm happy to hear any suggestions on price etc. I'm no pro but I do take good care while painting the figures.

My Spino wont stand up anymore annoyingly and I don't know how to fix it. any suggestions also welcome.

would love to see any other papo repaints posted here too.

Rich72

Quote from: Megalosaurus on August 03, 2013, 12:04:04 AM
Quote from: Rich72 on April 29, 2013, 01:44:47 PM
if the marketing photos were an accurate depiction of the final product, it wouldn't irk me so much. Some of the models I have received look nothing like the advertised colour schemes, or simply a lesser imitation of the marketing photo. [...]

Hi Rich72.

Your repaints are very good. It will be awesome if you repaint the Papo Brachiosaurus to look like the preview stock photos.

I want to do something a little more colourful with the Brachiosaurus... I have a few ideas and will try to take photos as I go along if I remember to do it! I really want to do the two t-rex figures first.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Rich72 on December 02, 2013, 04:34:34 PM
Hi, thanks for the comments and sorry for the absence. I have been asked on another site to sell a figure or repaint one.... I've never really thought about it so I don't know what is reasonable. I'm happy to hear any suggestions on price etc. I'm no pro but I do take good care while painting the figures.

My Spino wont stand up anymore annoyingly and I don't know how to fix it. any suggestions also welcome.

That's a common problem with the Spino. I guess it's the plastic sagging over time. Mine has been like that pretty much since I bought it. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do.

Jetoar

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 02, 2013, 09:26:20 PM

That's a common problem with the Spino. I guess it's the plastic sagging over time. Mine has been like that pretty much since I bought it. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do.

What I usually do in these situations is put the figure in hot water, not scalding, but hot enough to soften the material and make it maleable. Once it is soft, while holding the figure in the the correct position I put it inside cold water so that the material hardens inmediately and keeps the new position.

Hope that helps  ^-^
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Jetoar on December 02, 2013, 10:48:23 PM

What I usually do in these situations is put the figure in hot water, not scalding, but hot enough to soften the material and make it maleable. Once it is soft, while holding the figure in the the correct position I put it inside cold water so that the material hardens inmediately and keeps the new position.

Hope that helps  ^-^
How do you know the plastic won't sag again?  Maybe it'll keep its new position for a while, but if you're storing the figure in the same conditions that caused the original to sag, seems like it would happen again.

It's worth a try, I guess.

Jetoar

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 02, 2013, 11:19:25 PM
Quote from: Jetoar on December 02, 2013, 10:48:23 PM

Hope that helps  ^-^
How do you know the plastic won't sag again?  Maybe it'll keep its new position for a while, but if you're storing the figure in the same conditions that caused the original to sag, seems like it would happen again.

It's worth a try, I guess.

I have fixed all my figures with this system and I dont have problems again. However, You must do well and wait  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

Rich72

Great, I'll try that. The only issue for me is that the paint is likely to come off with the heat.... I wasn't loving that paint job anyway so it might be an excuse to redo the whole thing.

Thanks a lot for the tip!

Jetoar

Quote from: Rich72 on December 03, 2013, 11:40:15 AM
Great, I'll try that. The only issue for me is that the paint is likely to come off with the heat.... I wasn't loving that paint job anyway so it might be an excuse to redo the whole thing.

Thanks a lot for the tip!

I have done that with my own papo figures and it worked, and the paint wasnt affected at all  ^-^.

Rich72

I have used acrylic paint which usually comes off in very hot water but I'll give it a go....

EDIT: thanks for the tips, seems to have worked beautifully so far. Spino is standing proud and i sort of managed to fix its weird arm. The arm does not want to stay as well as other parts of the model though and I suspect it is made of a slightly more rubbery material.

slightly remodeled the heads and arms of the raptors to try and make them appear a little different.... so far so good and only a tiny bit of paint loss. nothing to panic about.

thanks again

Everything_Dinosaur

Great re-paints, for us the pick is the Spinosaurus, with the Velociraptors a close second, well done.

Jetoar

Quote from: Rich72 on December 03, 2013, 03:40:41 PM
I have used acrylic paint which usually comes off in very hot water but I'll give it a go....

EDIT: thanks for the tips, seems to have worked beautifully so far. Spino is standing proud and i sort of managed to fix its weird arm. The arm does not want to stay as well as other parts of the model though and I suspect it is made of a slightly more rubbery material.

slightly remodeled the heads and arms of the raptors to try and make them appear a little different.... so far so good and only a tiny bit of paint loss. nothing to panic about.

thanks again

I am glad it worked  ^-^.

Carnosaur

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Carnosaur on December 07, 2013, 09:35:55 PM
how about this guy over on Deviantart?
What does this have to do with the topic at hand?

Carnosaur

Just that he does some pretty nice papo repaints

Rich72

Hi Carnosaur, that is a nice repaint. I'm about to start another Allosaurus repaint so will hopefully put up soon

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: