News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

JP Dino Showdown Allosaurus repaint

Started by johnnykaje, May 06, 2013, 03:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnykaje

Hello everyone, I've followed the blog for years but never posted in the forum until now.

I bought the Allosaurus from the new JP line, and while I liked the sculpt I really hated the color scheme. So I attempted my first ever repaint. I based it on a male green iguana, with kind of a bright blue chow chow coloring in the mouth.

I documented my progress in depth on this blog post.

Let me know what you think, I'd appreciate some criticism before I try this again.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Looks good !  I think maybe some more color or depth for the upper jaw of the head though ..it looks a little out place on the awesome body right now.

darylj

tyrantqueen

I'd make the colours (particularly the orange) a bit paler, they seem a bit intense compared to the real animal.

But then again I have never kept pet Iguanas so I wouldn't really know.

johnnykaje

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 06, 2013, 04:36:38 AM
Looks good !  I think maybe some more color or depth for the upper jaw of the head though ..it looks a little out place on the awesome body right now.

Aaargh I know. I think I built up too many base color layers, I tried to do a wash like on the lower jaw but it just sat there.

Next time I'll do the dark detail washes beforehand.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Iguanas tend to vary a bit in color..I've seem some very dull specimens and some exceedingly bright ones..depending on diet, sunlight, ect. I used to really be into herps of all kinds and had several animals.

An iguana really suits the look of him though. :)

CityRaptor

I wonder if those factors also affected the colors of Dinosaurs.

Topic: Nice custom, so colors based on  an Iguana instead of an Agamid.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

DinoToyForum

Great custom job!  8) And welcome to the forum ;)

johnnykaje

Quote from: CityRaptor on May 06, 2013, 06:42:14 PM

The original color scheme was based on an agamid? Which one?

RockyMountainRex

Your paint job looks great!  I really like how you blended the tail.  The only thing I can add for criticism that you were looking for would be to second what Blade said; the top of the head does look a bit barren in comparison to the rest of the body.  But I hesitate at even adding that... you did a great job I think!   :)
Rawr!

CityRaptor

Quote from: johnnykaje on May 07, 2013, 01:09:45 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on May 06, 2013, 06:42:14 PM

The original color scheme was based on an agamid? Which one?

This one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calotes_mystaceus
Atleast looks like it. If you google it, you even get some closer matches. While it does not match 100%, once could atleast assume an influence. Some Hasbro Employee probably goggled "Colorful Lizard"
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Harukin

I like this one a lot, great job! Oh, did I mention already that blue is my favorite color?  ;D

0onarcissisto0

If the sculptor has nothing but science his hands will have no art.

- DK -

Gwangi

Beautiful paint job on that guy. Much better than the one it came with. Shame it didn't come with that one, I would own one already if it did.

Hellraptor

That repaint is so nice, really great work on it. The iguna colours is a spot on. Do you plan on geeting the Pachyrhinosaurus aswell ?
Taking dinosaurs of this islandis the worst idea in the long, sad story of bad ideas

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.