News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Underrated ornithomimids

Started by Stegoraptor Rex, June 24, 2013, 09:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raptoress

These cute little guys are ornithomimids from TOMY/Learning Curve's line of Dinosaur Train figures. They may not be realistic, but I think they're very cute and I love them. It's nice to see that kids of this generation know about ornithomimids, thanks to Dinosaur Train.

It's a shame there are so few figures of these fascinating creatures. :(

Blade-of-the-Moon

Here's hoping we see more ornithomimids soon !

DinoToyForum

Raptoress

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 19, 2013, 12:12:24 PM
Quote from: Aliciaraptor on December 18, 2013, 02:49:28 PM

These cute little guys are ornithomimosaurs from TOMY/Learning Curve's line of Dinosaur Train figures. They may not be realistic, but I think they're very cute and I love them. It's nice to see that kids of this generation know about ornithomimids, thanks to Dinosaur Train.

It's a shame there are so few figures of these fascinating creatures. :(

I like these little guys. I only have the dinotrain Pliosaurus and Elasmosaurus but they are very cute too with lots of character. Reminds me that we need a dinotrain thread on the forum...

They do indeed have lots of charm and character. :) I'm a big fan of this line of figures. I would love to see a Dinosaur Train thread on this forum! I'd be very happy to contribute to it, too. I have quite a lot of the figures ready to have their pictures taken if anyone is interested. Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't Learning Curve/Dinosaur Train made the only Einiosaurus toys on the market?

tanystropheus

Why are the wrists of Ornithomimids almost universally depicted in a pronating position? Did they (as a group) possess the unique ability to pronate? Did any dinosaur group?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 22, 2013, 05:06:35 AM
Why are the wrists of Ornithomimids almost universally depicted in a pronating position? Did they (as a group) possess the unique ability to pronate? Did any dinosaur group?

Not that I'm aware. I think it's more it makes them look like what people still expect...a villain and a thief. Gives them a more viscous aspect too.

Raptoress

Good question. I've never actually thought about that, but now you say it, almost all ornithomimid pictures I've seen have pronated hands. Does any modern day animal have this feature?

wings

Quote from: Alice the Troodon on December 27, 2013, 02:05:18 PM

Good question. I've never actually thought about that, but now you say it, almost all ornithomimid pictures I've seen have pronated hands.
This is likely to be based off  NICHOLLS and RUSSELL (1985) paper (see http://palaeontology.palass-pubs.org/pdf/Vol%2028/Pages%20643-677.pdf; the paper was published before all the pronation/supination discussions). As explained in Paul (1988) "... unlike those of other theropods, the thumb and fingers of ornithomimus swing toward each other when they are flexed, so the hand works as a narrow hook rater than as a broad rake or grasping tool. when faced with a branch beyond the head's reach, ostrich-mimics may have hooked onto the branch's lower portion with a hand or two and pulled to bring the upper end within reach of the jaws..."; there is also an illustration depicting this idea on page 388 (he didn't label his illustrations so I can only tell you the page number - hardcover version).

Quote from: Alice the Troodon on December 27, 2013, 02:05:18 PM
Does any modern day animal have this feature?
What feature are you referring to? Are you talking about if there is any modern animals that could "actively" pronate/rotate their forearms?

suchomimus

Here's the Ornithomimus from Moose! I'm not sure which line of toys this is in, but I'm pretty sure it's not reflected in their website anymore...

That's an AA battery to help it stand by the way haha.

Manatee

We can add the Favorite Pelecanimimus to the short list; it is by far the best ornithomimid figure. It is both heavily feathered like an ornithomimid should be and its wrists aren't pronated. Plus, we need alvarezsaurs and herrerasaurids and megalosaurs!

Brachiosaurus

Quote from: suchomimus on October 27, 2014, 08:42:21 AM
Here's the Ornithomimus from Moose! I'm not sure which line of toys this is in, but I'm pretty sure it's not reflected in their website anymore...

That's an AA battery to help it stand by the way haha.

I think its from dino magic, a toy line by Moose, it was a drop fizzy egg in water and get a dinosaur toy inside thing

Brontozaurus

Yes! I've got the Therizinosaurus from that line.

The other major gimmick aside from the fizzing eggs is that you can pull them apart and put them back together to make weird new dinosaurs.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Brachiosaurus

Quote from: Brontozaurus on October 28, 2014, 12:05:36 PM
Yes! I've got the Therizinosaurus from that line.

The other major gimmick aside from the fizzing eggs is that you can pull them apart and put them back together to make weird new dinosaurs.
I had the therizinosaur too, but I lost it while riding my bike when I was a kid  :'(

suchomimus

Quote from: Brachiosaurus on October 27, 2014, 12:14:40 PM
I think its from dino magic, a toy line by Moose, it was a drop fizzy egg in water and get a dinosaur toy inside thing

Thanks Brachiosaurus! Now that you say it, I do remember the fizzy egg part  :))

Quote from: Manatee on October 27, 2014, 11:49:23 AM
We can add the Favorite Pelecanimimus to the short list; it is by far the best ornithomimid figure. It is both heavily feathered like an ornithomimid should be and its wrists aren't pronated. Plus, we need alvarezsaurs and herrerasaurids and megalosaurs!

Yup it can be seen here courtesy of Bokisaurus. I think it's the only one ever produced though!

PaleoMatt

alexeratops

OOOOOhhhh yeah! I remember those toys; I used them all the time!
like a bantha!

DC

Well there is the lead Garudamimus http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/Cretaceous_china_files/garuda.jpg
and HLBS had http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/Cretaceous_china_files/hlbsGallimimus.JPG and a rare Deinocheirus
CollectA has two Deinocheirus, a dead Struithiomimus in the T rex mouth, and a new release for 2016.

Oriental Trading company had Ornithiomimus

I have always felt the Marx and MPC figures held up well over time.

The JP mini figures had a Gallimimus.

I am reviewing the Kinto my favorite pelicanmimus in March PT

There is the austrlian Timmimus figure from Yowies and a emetal company

I have seen a number of metal ornithimimids from minor gaming companies. 
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Bokisaurus on June 26, 2013, 02:50:15 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about this little guy ;D
[]

What species and company is that?

Also, does anybody have the Pelicanimimus & Concavenator set from the Fukui Museum? I'd like to see photos of both of those models.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on August 04, 2016, 06:48:39 AM

What species and company is that?

Also, does anybody have the Pelicanimimus & Concavenator set from the Fukui Museum? I'd like to see photos of both of those models.

1) Gallimimus from Primaeval Design (  http://www.achesoncreations.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=655&virtuemart_category_id=50 )

2)  https://flic.kr/p/rLcFPB

https://flic.kr/p/sqqyZW

https://flic.kr/p/sirzat

https://flic.kr/p/rmu4PS

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Thanks! Ooooh, that Pelicanimimus is really pretty! I stumbled across the Pelicanimimus/Concavenator set on eBay, and it looked intriguing, though the seller's photo didn't do them justice seeing as they were still in the package. If I ever find it for less than the $39 (+$12 shipping :P ) asking price I'll have to get it!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: