News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Carnegie Mountain Help...

Started by Minnesota Jones, June 26, 2013, 05:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minnesota Jones

Hi!  I'm back.  I was on the old forum for a little bit and never signed up on the new one until now.  Anyhoo...  I just picked up a Safari Mountain direct from Safari Ltd and it's BIG!  I forgot how big this thing was.  But there's no sticker on the bottom (a good thing actually) since they use it for many of their lines and not just the Carnegie Collection anymore.

I'd love to "recreate" the original "The Carnegie Institute" sticker that was on this originally to add to mine.  Like in this photo from wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Carnegie_1st_10_years.JPG

I can make out "The Carnegie Institute" at the top, then something like "Auth.... blur blur blur (STUPID FLASH... HA!)... Collection from Safari Ltd."  And a little logo.  The logo is four little boxes this one on an old tag:

http://therizinosaurus.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/protoceratops-copy-2.jpg

Anyone have an original mountain with the sticker that you can hi-res a photo for me?  Or better yet... make me an original sticker repro and I'll pay ya for your troubles and mailing...

Also, I see lots of photos on the web of various eras of Carnegie "critters" on the mountain.  I'd like to display mine with just the original ones that were available when the mountain was first released.  I'm guessing based on the spots available for figures that the mountain came out around 1995 as there's room for all the animals made up thru 1995's Plateosaurus or so, just before the 1st round of repaints hit.  So... anyone have photos of what this display looked like "in the day" when it was brand new and just the original 1989-1995 or so figures were on it?  Any help is of course appreciated.

Mike
MN Jones

amargasaurus cazaui

I have one of the older, perhaps original mountains from Carnegie, that has most of the original line-up as it was offered. The one in your first link is not accurate particularly with many later models just stuck in various spots. Also the sticker your trying so hard to recreate at least in my version is not even close to that.The sticker in that spot for mine is either black or a dark brown color. I will strive to get some pictures for you so you can compare.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Minnesota Jones

Thanks!  Yeah, I can see the extra dinos on there, looks a bit crowded.  But a lot of the original ones (like the Sauropods) look to be pretty close in some spots.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

amargasaurus cazaui

I managed to take you a nice picture of my mountain tonight. I am unsure if there were older versions but I have owned this one for at least a dozen years . As you can see , it has many of the retired models placed on it, and the label as I described

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Everything_Dinosaur

Great to see so many retired and now quite rare pieces all together like that, brought back a few memories about my own Carnegie Collection and the models I had a few years ago.

KeU

Should swap out the Tyrannosaurus and Allosaurus for the original ones. I think those in the picture are the face lifted ones.

amargasaurus cazaui

The point with altering the mountain is that , at this point it is how it came to me. I bought it in the belief it had been used as a sales demo piece, and still has the pieces it had when it was made. I do not think there are mountains that were made that actually contained all the original first line-up figures. I believe the line was already well established and into the mid nineties somewhere before the mountains were released. So while mine does not contain the original line up from Carnegie, it might well be one of the original release mountains or earlier models, at least. I have seen pictures that show the Austrilopithecus figures also attached towards the top of some mountains that implies there could well be an older model with different figures than mine or an even older version in other words.
  I can tell you that mine has the figures attached via stick um on the feet, and is how it came to me when originally purchased at least a dozen years ago. The older mountains apparently have the brown sticker rather than the white one seen in more current releases as well.

Minnesota Jones

Great display!  Any chance of a photo of just the sticker on the front from head on dead center?  A shot I can right click and printout on sticker paper?

wgzimmerman3

Hi Everybody! My name is William and i've got a Carnegie display i'm trying to sell. It's in excellent condition with all the stickers on it (EXCEPT) the main one on the front that Mr. Jones spoke of. If anyone would like to make me an offer, my telephone number is (817) 487-1997 These are very rare and hard-to-find pieces. My wife said she thinks she had ordered it from Carnegie many years ago for my stepson. I will also post an ad and photos of it (if i can figure out how to upload them) in the classifieds section.  Thanks for your time!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.