News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pixar's "The Good Dinosaur"

Started by scallenger, August 10, 2013, 03:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Probably lots of food for the "Ugly Ugly Dinosaurs" thread.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 03, 2014, 06:10:44 PM
Eh...it's stylised. It's supposed to tell a story, they're not trying to make it true to life. No-one complained about the insects in A Bug's Life, for example:

Look at the size of that head! It's way oversized ::) Why doesn't she have mandibles? Why is she missing a pair of legs? Why is she purple? Blah blah blah...

Well, if those were proper ants, they would not have had problems with Hopper.

"You see, while we were collecting food during the summer, the grasshopper was lazy. When he demanded our food, we ate him!"

I was also just pointing out how odd those sizes were with a proper head, and how big those bugs are with that one.  And how ugly that kid is.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Iguanocolossus

Quote from: SBell on April 04, 2014, 02:22:22 AM
Looking at that image does not give me great confidence--it feels more like the level of "Cars" or (shudder) "Cars 2" than Wall-E, Ratatouille or Up. In other words, the lever of merchandise-driver and fund-raiser, not necessarily a movie-making piece-of-art.

Yeah, same here. I was hoping for something like Finding Nemo, but that poster gives me a seriously bad feeling.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: CityRaptor on April 04, 2014, 08:35:43 AM

Eh...it's stylised. It's supposed to tell a story, they're not trying to make it true to life. No-one complained about the insects in A Bug's Life, for example:

Look at the size of that head! It's way oversized ::) Why doesn't she have mandibles? Why is she missing a pair of legs? Why is she purple? Blah blah blah...

"You see, while we were collecting food during the summer, the grasshopper was lazy. When he demanded our food, we ate him!"

I was also just pointing out how odd those sizes were with a proper head, and how big those bugs are with that one.  And how ugly that kid is.

Inferno! :D
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

tyrantqueen

This is what A Bug's Life would have been like if it was realistic:

>:D

postsaurischian

Nice pic >:D!

In this scene it's probably the ants who speak with a Mexican accent >:D ..... ::) ;D .... C:-) "stop it, already!"

I'm in the happy position of being able to look forward to the movie :).

brandem

And here I thought the "bugs" in the story were supposed to just be what the dinosaurs referred to the humans as and it would be sort of a metaphor for how humans in general view the animal world, oh well giant bugs it is

Err, also... Inferno, terrorize!

Brontozaurus

Quote from: CityRaptor on April 04, 2014, 08:35:43 AM

Not being rude or anything but I love that your example of a 'proper' ant is a supersized fire ant that transforms into a pyromaniac robot.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

CityRaptor

I needed a CG ant that was made around the same time as a Bug's life.

@brandem: I expect the Dinosaurs to see humans as just another pest. The Main Antagonist is therefore either Kron 2.0 or what is basically Talon from Primal Rage.
Oh no

KaraWildsong42

Quote from: CityRaptor on August 14, 2013, 06:08:46 PM
Maybe they are Farmers, too. Just a different kind of Farmer:

I can actually see it as a reason, why that little Monkey comes around...

Rofl! That picture is great! It's humane as long as they're free-range humans, right?

As far as how I feel about the movie, I think it'll be cute and fun; which means for me, it will be a rental or a "wait til it comes out on Netflix". We usually only spend money to GO see a movie if it's something that we think will be truly epic. Pixar has never let me down from what I've seen of theirs (even some of the independent shorts some of their artists do), so I don't see any reason why I won't enjoy this one too. Now...the rational side of me says there are tons of things 'wrong' with the movie, as people have already mentioned.... But that's the beauty about kid movies; they let you suspend belief and enjoy an hour in a half of imagination and laughter.  :)) If anything, its awesome news for the dinosaur community, with this movie and Jurassic World coming out, dinosaurs are making a comeback in mainstream media! Maybe we'll see more figures come pouring out of the companies to meet the new demand of the younger generation!  ;D
You're not allowed to call them dinosaurs any more," said Yo-less. "It's speciesist. You have to call them pre-petroleum persons. -Terry Pratchett

HD-man

I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Blade-of-the-Moon

Mojoceratops

So I guess the existing theatrical posters no longer apply.

Seijun

Could just be the story line that is changing and not the art, but who knows. I am not expecting scientifically accurate dinosaurs but I don't really care either way. With pixar, it is the stories that appeal to me :)
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

CityRaptor

Change is hopefully for the better. Although I still don't expect to buy any Merchandising from that Movie....
Oh no

CityRaptor

New Teaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lsIrASLD-Q

Destroyed every Dinosaur on Earth...does that imply that the creators of that trailer are BANDits? Dinosaurs in space?

Well, those Pixarsaurs do look terrible, and combining them with the realistic backgrounds makes it worse.
Oh no

Tallin

To be honest, they don't look bad at all to me. As an animator myself, they are simply following pixar's style of simple, relatable charming characters, and keeping them fairly simple with mean that their movement and actual animation will be great. They are caricatured, and isn't that better than trying to look realistic and failing? This film has NEVER said that it's an accurate representation of dinosaurs.

As a result, I'm really looking forward to this movie. It will (with any luck) have the charm and deep story-telling elements of the good pixar films (Up, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles). Jurassic world is seriously getting on my nervous because it is marketing its awesomebro dinosaurs as 'the real thing' when they clearly are not. Pixar is not doing that in the slightest here; even a child will see this is clearly stylised.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Tallin on June 02, 2015, 09:30:19 PM
To be honest, they don't look bad at all to me. As an animator myself, they are simply following pixar's style of simple, relatable charming characters, and keeping them fairly simple with mean that their movement and actual animation will be great. They are caricatured, and isn't that better than trying to look realistic and failing? This film has NEVER said that it's an accurate representation of dinosaurs.

As a result, I'm really looking forward to this movie. It will (with any luck) have the charm and deep story-telling elements of the good pixar films (Up, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles). Jurassic world is seriously getting on my nervous because it is marketing its awesomebro dinosaurs as 'the real thing' when they clearly are not. Pixar is not doing that in the slightest here; even a child will see this is clearly stylised.
:))

Dinomike

I think the trailer looks promising! I'm hoping the break Pixar took has renewed their screen writing! Cars 2, IMHO, was a bit of a dissappointment in that area.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Tallin

Haha, Cars 2 and Planes certainly had a lower budget feel to them...and thank you TQ ^_^

The cars and planes franchises are most likely to satisfy Disney's needs to appeal to a very young audience, and also have a good opportunity to produce lots of toys to make even more profit. Meanwhile, you usually get another team working on the better quality Pixar films.

I thought the trailer looked quite charming myself - we need something to get the little kids into dinosaurs after all! (Personally, the Land Before Time movies inspired me tons as a kid, even though they were veeery inaccurate haha)

Gwangi

I have been optimistic about this movie since the beginning. Pixar has an amazing track record with only "Cars 2" really being a big letdown, although I didn't care for "Cars" either. "Planes" BTW was Disney only, not Pixar. I'm looking forward to this movie and the stylized dinosaurs are in keeping with the Pixar style. Their insects don't look like real insects. Even their humans don't look like real humans. I'm glad the dinosaurs still appear to be dinosaurs and not humanized dinosaurs driving cars and wearing cloths...like the sitcom "Dinosaurs". I was a little worried about that.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: