You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaprosaurus

Is the Dinogorgon good? Really want to get it,but i need the opinion of others.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Kaprosaurus on December 23, 2017, 11:27:55 AM

I have the dinogorgon. I have no knowledge about paleontology, I am a simple collector, but I think the dinogorgon is very good of the best that Schleich has done this year, only surpassed by the psittacosaurus of the same brand.

As I said is "almost" as good as the gorgonopsido inostrancevia I say "almost" because Safari understands that it is better.

I have all the news of Schleich this year (I am a collector not understood in paleontology) and I can affirm that I have not disappointed any figure of this year except the velociraptor.

Even the therizinosaurus is better with that new varnish of paint although that sincerely to someone who wants to collect very good figures I do not recommend it.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Kaprosaurus on December 23, 2017, 11:27:55 AM

In my opinion it's not a great figure and not so detailed.. an average score..  :-\

Shonisaurus

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on December 23, 2017, 10:07:53 AM
Safari 2018 Prehistoric Wave from Urzeitshop.
(Thanks to Mr. Miron for the super-fast shipping  ^-^ )

..more and better pictures on my collection thread soon..  ::)

:)

What luck you have had Robin.

Unfortunately my urzeitshop mine have not yet arrived. I hope they come after the Christmas Party.  :(

Luckily I bought the daeodon from Dejankins and the mastodon on eBay. At least I already have two of the thirteen figures. I thought that the malawisaurus was going to be bigger.

suspsy

Great comparison shot, thank you!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SBell

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 23, 2017, 01:29:18 PM

What luck you have had Robin.

Unfortunately my urzeitshop mine have not yet arrived. I hope they come after the Christmas Party.  :(

Luckily I bought the daeodon from Dejankins and the mastodon on eBay. At least I already have two of the thirteen figures. I thought that the malawisaurus was going to be bigger.

It's not fair! The Dimetrodon is apparently delayed reaching North America until January...oh well, need to get at least a few 2018 models in 2018!

Jose S.M.

I really like the size of Malawisaurus, it was a small animal for sauropods standards and I like my small sauropods smallish. It's still long enough.

suspsy

I still can't get over how ridiculously oversized the Amargasaurus is. Don't get me wrong, it's clearly a very well-sculpted and accurate toy, but given that the actual animal only weighed about as much as a hippo or a rhino, I just feel that Safari should have gone with a sauropod that's truly BIG. Giraffatitan, Alamosaurus, or Dreadnoughtus immediately spring to mind. Or Turiasaurus. It's the largest known European dinosaur, it's got a fairly unique appearance, and it's never been represented in toy form to my knowledge.

Ah well, what's done is done. I'm just not going to buy the Amargasaurus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

I've always wondered on how Safari price their figures.
The Malawisaurus (21.99) seems to be a lot smaller than the Amargasaurus (24.99), yet they only have a 3 dollar price difference.
And the Anzu (11.99), despite being one of the smaller releases of this year, is rather pricy for it's size compared other larger and bulkier figures. For example, it's the same price as the Triceratops, yet it is much smaller and uses less material.

Okay onto the figures:
The Amargasaurus is just unnecessarily large, like suspsy said it would've been much better if the spot was given to some truly gigantic sauropods. Now 100% confirmed to be off my "to buy" list.
The Dimetrodon doesn't bug me as much as before, but the sail coloration is still bad, very cartoony.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: suspsy on December 23, 2017, 03:09:40 PM
I still can't get over how ridiculously oversized the Amargasaurus is. Don't get me wrong, it's clearly a very well-sculpted and accurate toy, but given that the actual animal only weighed about as much as a hippo or a rhino, I just feel that Safari should have gone with a sauropod that's truly BIG. Giraffatitan, Alamosaurus, or Dreadnoughtus immediately spring to mind. Or Turiasaurus. It's the largest known European dinosaur, it's got a fairly unique appearance, and it's never been represented in toy form to my knowledge.

Ah well, what's done is done. I'm just not going to buy the Amargasaurus.

I'm also really surprised. I thought the Amargasaurus was going to be around half the size of their Feathered Red, maybe around 3 or 4 inches tall. I thought the Malawisaurus was going to be the giant figure, but instead it's tiny! A little disappointing tbh.

Jose S.M.

I agree about the size of Amargasaurus, what's the point in taking a small sauropod and making it huge, in a very different scale than their other sauropods. It would have being better to make a big sauropod closer to the Diplodocus scale. I think I would have gotten the amarga if it was 1:40-1:35 scale,  after seen the sculpt even if I dislike the colors, I would have just repainted it (look at me, paint some figures and think I'm a pro  :)) :)), it would have been a simplistic color scheme tbh) but at that size it's a no for me. 

stargatedalek

I love the Amargasaurus size, it's a fairly small animal so making it huge like that lets me use it with a lot of figures of smaller animals. You're never going to get 1:40th scale with a Velociraptor, toucan, hermit crab, or iguana (that you can actually see anyway!) so instead it's nice to have at least a smaller sauropod in a large scale. If I'm not wrong it's close to 1:22? My preferred scale is 1:12 so that'll still do nicely.

Lanthanotus

Big positive for Urzeitshop and DHL, I also got my parcel today with lots of the new Safaris. I knew about the size of the Amargasaurus, but the sculpt made it a must buy (still I will probably add lips to the upper jaw). And after all, Safari is a toy company, so scaling figures to each other is proably one of their lesser concerns. The Amarga sure makes for a great toy and it should stand out on any shelf next to other figures. The Malawisaurus could have been a bit bigger imo, but it's a nice sculpt, the paint job however cries for a workover. Most surprising was the Triceratops, a great and hefty figure. Doug sure knows his ceratopsians.

Shonisaurus

What I do not understand is that urzeitshop sell us the hyaenodon safari more expensive than its par triceratops Safari which is a bit bigger.

The papers must have been changed. On the other hand the macrauchenia for what I see in the photo is bigger than imagined. And the malawisaurus ... is a pretty figure but too small for what I expected from what I see in the photo. I was wrong about Dan's promotional photo in that prehistoric mammals were oversized with respect to malawisaurus, it was not a fake photograph.

On the other hand I prefer in its more careful elaboration the amargasaurus to the malawisaurus (that being an exceptional and good figure) is not as I would have liked. I see in his eyes a hieratic and somewhat forced posture like the paintings that the Egyptians made to their gods and I say this with all the respect the world has for the sculptor. I like it but not as much as the amargasaurus.

Regarding the dimetrodon against the criticism of the painting, it seems to me a fantastic figure even better (for me) than the dimetrodon Collecta although both make a great team. I think the best dimetrodon made to date by Safari. Especially I like the correct head of pelicosaurus made by Doug is for me correct, I have never seen any dimetrodon with that outstanding feature san.

The megacerops from what I see in Robin's photo is bigger than I expected, I'm also perplexed that it's cheaper than the hyaenodon of the same brand. It is for me a more scientific figure than that of Collecta, for what makes it somewhat superior although they are both tied in genius. The same can be said about the uintatherium Safari of its Collecta counterpart. What I would have liked from both of them would have been a little bigger. They are very beautiful especially this new uintatherium but they know little by their medium size.

The anzu is a unique figure in the toy market next to Jetoar, which is why I value that figure a lot, so I have seen in the photos and videos this figure has beautiful feathers very well placed.

The amargasaurus in front of the criticisms made by most of the members of the forum seems to me (it must be pointed out that I am an ignorant in paleontology and biology) the best figure of amargasaurus made so far. And I can say it in advance since I still do not have that beauty.

As far as the Safari daeodon is concerned, it is more realistic in its colors that, without being extravagant or bland, bring me closer to the idea of ​​what a daedon must have been than its Collecta and Mojo pairs (apart from being more precise in what referring to the hooves of the hooves). The one of Collecta spoils it much its war paintings that are own of the philosophy and aesthetics of Collecta and the one of Mojo that being an acceptable figure does not have the genius as for painting (very extinguished) that its Collecta and Safari pairs. For me the figure Safari is a great figure even being much less than that of Collecta.

As for the ankylosaurus for me it is a better substantial compared to its exceptional figure of Carnegie. It seems to be about the same size as Carnegie's or Favorite's for what I've seen in the pictures but it's more finished than these. What may spoil your figure a little is the coloring of the plates.

Finally the regaliceratops of Safari is one of my favorite figures because I knew little by little his pair of Collecta 2017 due to its extreme smallness. Collecta's regaliceratops is nice but what spoils it is its size made on a scale whose smallness does not make it so attractive to me if it were a bit bigger than the styracosaurus Collecta 2017. In exchange the Safari regaliceratops is at a medium scale whose conservative but not bland colors make it very attractive and redimensionan that figure, apart from seeing that in the promotional photos this figure without being large is a voluminous thing that I also appreciate in the case that it is not a medium-large or large figure .

To finish the mastodon (which fortunately I have with the daeodon) is a beautiful figure and very rare to find in the toy market of the dinosaur and prehistoric animal (whose last case is this since it is a mammal). For me it is the mastodon (American mammoth) that I wanted and that illustrated my books about prehistory.

In general this year Safari has made a very prolific year and whose competition in both dinosaurs and prehistoric mammals is putting a lot of pressure on the rest of dinosaur and toy animal companies, without the companies of Mojo, Papo, Collecta and even Schleich do not fall behind. Not to mention other companies such as Vitae, Eofauna or even Rebor whose dinosaur companies are going to be a constant threat to companies of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals that we know of a lifetime.

As a postdata I totally agree with suspsy that a turiasaurus should be performed by Safari or any toy dinosaur company. It is a very cool figure, that by the knowledge we have paleontological (reasonable parts of the skeleton are preserved) as by its immense size (one of the largest sauropods in Europe). Apart from that it is one of the most emblematic dinosaurs in Spain along with the pelecanimus and concavenator.

I would like the size to be large and considerable but without exaggeration because otherwise my shelves would not support the weight of such a giant.  :)

Faelrin

I still have mixed feelings about the Dinogorgon, but if it really is more tan like the one in the promo pic I might still consider getting it. Think I will need to see that Dimetrodon in more images too, but it seems like the red on the sail is not as bright as it was in the promo pics on the website. So I might consider getting it (I think this is playing out the same as it did for the 2017 Parasaurolophus. I liked the sculpt, but the color scheme not as much. That isn't to say I hate the color scheme though, but I easily favor another figure's color scheme over it).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Roselaar

Scored this big lot of mostly Asian dinosaurs on the British eBay the other day:

Many of these figures need identification.  ;)

sauroid

i see Kabaya Dino World Set 2 bigger figures (T. rex 2 versions, Spinosaurus, Allosaurus), Kabaya Dino World Set 1 smaller figures (Gallimimus, Quetzalcoatlus, Pachycephalosaurus, Plesiosaurus, T. rex, Lambeosaurus, Stegosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Archaeopteryx, Maiasaura, Oviraptor, Iguanodon), Fame Master (Elasmosaurus, Ankylosaurus, T. rex), Bandai predation set (Allosaurus, the two Velociraptor, Pteranodon), Furuta (Spinosaurus, Triceratops). the others i cant really see to ID properly. :)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Roselaar

Quote from: sauroid on December 24, 2017, 04:45:19 PM
i see Kabaya Dino World Set 2 bigger figures (T. rex 2 versions, Spinosaurus, Allosaurus), Kabaya Dino World Set 1 smaller figures (Gallimimus, Quetzalcoatlus, Pachycephalosaurus, Plesiosaurus, T. rex, Lambeosaurus, Stegosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Archaeopteryx, Maiasaura, Oviraptor, Iguanodon), Fame Master (Elasmosaurus, Ankylosaurus, T. rex), Bandai predation set (Allosaurus, the two Velociraptor, Pteranodon), Furuta (Spinosaurus, Triceratops). the others i cant really see to ID properly. :)

That's a good start, thanks!

LeapingLaelaps

Hey, long time no post! ::) We opened presents a day early this year, here's my Christmas haul! I also got some money, gonna buy some of the new Safari stuff >:D

BlueKrono

I see the Spinosaurus near the middle, but is the one closer to the left side an Ouranosaurus?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: