News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo Tyrannosaurus - The stock dinosaur

Started by Hermes888, August 19, 2013, 06:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duna

This is an exhibition that is on tour through Spain, it was in my town one or two months ago. The posters for the exhibition were placed everywhere, I was about to get one when it finished.  ;D

The Papo brown standing rex on the poster didn't make me go to see it, as it seemed quite meh.

Duna

I also forgot to mention that there are "REAL" Papo dinosaurs sculpts ...

They are in Asturias, in northern Spain, in the MUJA (Museo del Jurásico de Asturias) (the very same museum that has on display two tyrannosaurus skeletons ... mating.  ;D
When I was there many years ago, the Paposauruses weren't there. They were just exactly the same as Papo figures, even in the colors. But they have been repainted recently.

The star of this thread:

Repainted in blue:

Now it has a blue baby, too!

They even have the running version, too!  :o

Triceratops, first version:

Repainted and with a nest:

The first version of Papo Muja Parasaurolophus:

The repainted parasaurolophus, too (just a bit of color on top):

Velociraptor:

Repainted:

Stegosaurus. I don't know if it has been repainted, too, but probably. The brachiosaurus is the 1993 Schleich with even the very same head.

Pteranodon, first version. Yes, it has been repainted later, too.

Pachycephalosaurus

Faelrin

avatar_Duna @Duna That's a very interesting find there. I would have never thought there were life sized statues of those out there.

Honestly I'm truly stunned how prevalent the copy of their pics and models has been (which was in turn of the JP designs in most cases to begin with), that it's truly ascended into this form now (or rather has been for some time it seems). Occasionally you see this happen with Schleich as well, but don't think I've seen this happen with Safari Ltd or CollectA that I can think of. I wonder if this will ever happen to PNSO or another brand out there someday?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Mellow Stego

That pteranodon looks like it was crucified.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

SidB

Interesting to see the older Schleich Brachiosaurus in the background with the Papo Stego. I wonder what sort of financial arrangement exists between/among the partners?

ITdactyl

I spy some non-Papo designs in the background. Are they also toy copies?

I don't know if we can really give the "credit" to Papo - after all, their Tyrannosaurus is just Rexy in her "finale" pose.

Duna

Quote from: Mellow Stego on July 28, 2021, 04:13:42 AM
:)) :)) :))

Quote from: SidB on July 28, 2021, 04:23:10 AM
Interesting to see the older Schleich Brachiosaurus in the background with the Papo Stego. I wonder what sort of financial arrangement exists between/among the partners?
I really don't know. The figures were done by Adolfo Cuetara and repainted I think twice. In the museum webpage it says he created them exclusively for the museum, but we all know that they were not original designs at all.

Quote from: ITdactyl on July 28, 2021, 02:10:37 PM
I spy some non-Papo designs in the background. Are they also toy copies?
Some yes, there are a few more Schleich. I'll post them hidden not to disturb the Papo thread:

Spoiler
The 2007 Schleich allosaurus:

Repainted

The 1993 Brachiosaurus:

There is an euoplocephalus, that could be inspired in the Papo or the Schleich or not. I can't say.

Repainted:

One of the newer figures, a very badly sculpted carnotaurus. It looks inspired in the Disney film but too overfed.

And a generic diplodocus. I liked that figure the most when I saw it years ago.

Camptosaurus. In my opinion, the sculpt is very bad in comparison to the others. Pity for such an interesting species:

Dacentrurus, a very nice figure, too:
[close]

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Mellow Stego on July 28, 2021, 04:13:42 AM
Forget Raptor Jesus, Embrace PteraJesus

avatar_Duna @Duna thanks for showing all these

Duna

Yesterday I went to MUJA, and I must say the Papo sculptures are wonderful. It was a lovely sunny day in the normally cloudy and rainy Asturias. My children had a very nice time, they wanted photos with ALL of them!
And of course, I also wanted one with the blue standing rex. It looks fantastic!
The Pteranodon is no longer crucified and it stands on its feet and has a smaller mate as a companion.
The Schleich brachiosaurus is absolutely impressive, it's like looking at a giant version of the toy. 

Fembrogon

I admit, those big models look pretty cool. those new paint jobs do them wonders too.

Quote from: Faelrin on July 27, 2021, 08:47:28 PM
Occasionally you see this happen with Schleich as well, but don't think I've seen this happen with Safari Ltd or CollectA that I can think of. I wonder if this will ever happen to PNSO or another brand out there someday?

Sometimes I wonder if it might be worth their time for companies like Safari or PNSO to actively invest in licensed stock imagery. It'd be nice to at least have more scientifically-correct toy photos permeating the market instead of what are essentially above-average JP knockoffs.

suspsy

Quote from: Duna on August 04, 2021, 09:36:02 AM
Yesterday I went to MUJA, and I must say the Papo sculptures are wonderful. It was a lovely sunny day in the normally cloudy and rainy Asturias. My children had a very nice time, they wanted photos with ALL of them!
And of course, I also wanted one with the blue standing rex. It looks fantastic!
The Pteranodon is no longer crucified and it stands on its feet and has a smaller mate as a companion.
The Schleich brachiosaurus is absolutely impressive, it's like looking at a giant version of the toy. 

That T. rex is clearly not full grown.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

Saw an inflatable Papo Triceratops lookalike yesterday at the Jurassic Encounter thing I went to yesterday (which I posted earlier about in this thread as their banner uses pics of the figs, as can be seen below, more pics and info here):

And a silhouette of the ever pervasive Papo standing/squatting Tyrannosaurus on the back of a t-shirt I got from it:

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Nixx

Saw this while browsing, referenced from the running rex or too much of a stretch? ???

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Nanuqsaurus

And they just keep coming! As seen on an ad from a nearby zoo in The Netherlands:

Justin_

They haven't even bothered to edit out the scratched paint on the teeth or make them look a bit sharper.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

It's very disappointing when Museums do that.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Justin_ on October 21, 2021, 05:56:26 PM

They haven't even bothered to edit out the scratched paint on the teeth or make them look a bit sharper.
The last one also had The Isle models in it
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

need4swede

Spotted this one at Wal-Mart the other day

- Swede

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: