News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

brandem's sculpture {recent art 2019}

Started by brandem, September 08, 2013, 09:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manatee

Looks great! The Balaur is very detailed.

SBell

Quote from: brandem on November 03, 2014, 06:39:31 AM
that is believed by quite a few thanks to the hip but what bearing does that have on the reconstruction? those who assigned balaur to aves are the same who assigned Anchiornis huxleyi to aves, and anchiornis had a very dromaeosaurian skull so I don't think i'm off basing the skull on dromaeosaurs,

as far as the body and limbs we can look at what bones we do have, and I don't think those are too far off;
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/wiredscience/2010/08/25067-660x508.jpg

only remaining aspect I question might be the tail, which if Balaur is a proper prebird and the birdlike elements cannot be considered convergent evolution, could go either way depending on how close she falls to Pygostylia,

but I guess the question is since I didn't call her a dromaeosaur why do you bring it up?

I had the same question, but I thought I'd leave it to the sculptor to answer!

SBell

Quote from: brandem on November 03, 2014, 03:53:02 AM
hey all it feels like forever since I've been able to add new sculpts here but here goes;
first in conjunction with member takama we are adding the sereno spinosaurus to the tiny titan line of dinosaurs! in time he'll be joined by Onchopristis numidus to make the Kem Kem Combatants set.

I just realized I had a question from this part--why is it 'always' Onchopristis now? Why not Mawsonia (done once with Takara), or Oniichthys (AKA Atractosteus, done with the original Kinto Desktop)? To say nothing of Bawitius or Retodus (AKA Ceratodus). They are all big (in the 15ft-9ft range) and weren't featured in that one Discovery Channel show!

I'll admit, for some reason I put together an all-stars bony fish lineup that should be done from that time & place. But the scale would need to be larger for the wider range.

brandem

True it does seem to always be Onchopristis, I suppose because of the embedded tooth that they associated with the species, and that to the fact that in general people are not very creative and tend to associate species together (I mean dienonychus only ate tenontosaurus am I right?)  but I personally don't consider it a set without 4 so I would expect to see retodus and Mawsonia as well (there is already a juvie mawsonia in its mouth)

Yutyrannus

Quote from: brandem on November 03, 2014, 06:39:31 AM
that is believed by quite a few thanks to the hip but what bearing does that have on the reconstruction? those who assigned balaur to aves are the same who assigned Anchiornis huxleyi to aves, and anchiornis had a very dromaeosaurian skull so I don't think i'm off basing the skull on dromaeosaurs,

as far as the body and limbs we can look at what bones we do have, and I don't think those are too far off;
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/wiredscience/2010/08/25067-660x508.jpg

only remaining aspect I question might be the tail, which if Balaur is a proper prebird and the birdlike elements cannot be considered convergent evolution, could go either way depending on how close she falls to Pygostylia,

but I guess the question is since I didn't call her a dromaeosaur why do you bring it up?
I brought it up because it looks to be a dromaeosaurid or at least a more primitive bird than it is thought to have been (a recent study apparently showed it to be sister to Pygostylia). Based on what it known of it, this model is still accurate but based on that recent study, it would probably have had a beak and a shorter tail. Either way, it is still a very cool model :). Actually I think it would be sort of cool if you made models of both ideas of Balaur.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

brandem

Well thanks, that cladistic analysis also suggested a great variety in avalian groups, but there is an area on my model that can be painted in a beak like fashion, heck I can even shave off the teeth, also the tail is molded separately so all I would need is some suggestion of what the tail should look like.

Paleogene Pals

Hey Brandem,

How much is the Balaur? You probably said it before, but I am too lazy to go look it up.  >:D

brandem

Hey, at this time I am thinking 7 for balaur and for anyone wanting to know 12 for spino and 20 for the full set once the fish are done.

Dinomike

I like the Spino a lot! When will it be available to order?
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Takama

brandem

Takama is right, anything on here you see a painted version of is ready to go.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I wanted to mention this here first, Brandon and I have been talking and he is going to create a small family group of Microceratus/Aquilops for our Park, our group will include 3 adults and couple juveniles. They will have the same basic body but either head can be added to make either species.

Now the cool thing, if that wasn't cool enough..lol is they will also be for sale as kits and I think finished pieces.

Keep an eye here for updates as we get started!

triceratops83

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 26, 2014, 05:24:18 PM
I wanted to mention this here first, Brandon and I have been talking and he is going to create a small family group of Microceratus/Aquilops for our Park, our group will include 3 adults and couple juveniles. They will have the same basic body but either head can be added to make either species.

Now the cool thing, if that wasn't cool enough..lol is they will also be for sale as kits and I think finished pieces.

Keep an eye here for updates as we get started!

Very excited!
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Wow Brandon's quick!

Already started a head sculpt:

Alexxitator

I just fell in love...
...with a head!
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

triceratops83

I can't wait for these to be available!
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Manatee

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 28, 2014, 10:30:43 AM
Me neither! If they are released I'll probably get a juvenile, because I have no room for a two foot long Microceratus/Aquilops.
Also, which one is it?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Manatee on December 28, 2014, 01:50:38 PM
Me neither! If they are released I'll probably get a juvenile, because I have no room for a two foot long Microceratus/Aquilops.
Also, which one is it?

That's why we figured to make the juveniles available as well. Small enough for most shelves.

I had originally planned on Microceratus, but Brandon had the idea of just making different heads and doing both species, there will also be three body types with mix and match limbs so you can make your mini family group if you want.

Manatee

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 28, 2014, 04:52:15 PM
Also, which one is it?

That's why we figured to make the juveniles available as well. Small enough for most shelves.

I had originally planned on Microceratus, but Brandon had the idea of just making different heads and doing both species, there will also be three body types with mix and match limbs so you can make your mini family group if you want.
That's cool! I'd probably get an Aquilops, it being a newly discovered genus and all.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Manatee on December 28, 2014, 04:53:12 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 28, 2014, 04:52:15 PM
Also, which one is it?

That's cool! I'd probably get an Aquilops, it being a newly discovered genus and all.

They are very similar so I'm not sure if we'll have both in the park or just one. I might be able to do both if spaced far enough away. It's like I've been trying to decide between Oviraptor and Anzu.. lol

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: