News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Posting images

Started by DinoToyForum, March 25, 2012, 06:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

Well I have lost all of my images as well. Say goodbye to my collection thread and no more shots of my Safari Ltd originals. I have a feeling if you are on a free image host eventually they will do the same as Photobucket, draw you in, get invested in it then hold your image collection hostage for money. For that reason I am hesitant to start over.
Postsaurischian may I add my regrets to the loss of your Beautiful Dinos thread as well, a real loss to the DTF but I know how you feel.

Patrx

Well, this is a very distressing turn of events  :-\

Reptilia

Yes, very sad to lose postsaurischian's thread, he's the best photographer and has one of the best collections here, in my opinion. Feels a bit like extortion what Photobucket is doing.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 30, 2017, 09:26:28 AM
I  was also asked to pay $400 to go on with my account. It seems my time of posting pictures here is over :'(.
Yes, I could start another account elsewhere, but what about the hundreds of photos already posted?
Too much work to bring them back. It has been a great time, but I quit. It's very frustrating. Bye bye Beautiful Dinosaur mix - R.I.P.

I'm a super fan of your fantastic thread.
I have ALL your pictures saved on my hard drive.
But it's very, very sad that you quit with your thread.
"Beautiful Dinosaur Mix" is one of my favorite on DTF.
It won't be the same without your photos..  :'(

BlueKrono

Doug may have a point - PI could just as easily do what PB has done. Best not to invest to much time and effort in something that you don't have control over I guess. Easy enough for newer members like me to say... I really feel bad for you folks who are blocked from your photos.

All of my PB pics on this site are still functional. Perhaps because I used that site for so few (less than 2 gigs) that I'm still within the limit of free pics according to the Terms of Service?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

sauroid

Postsaurischian's photo thread is a DTF icon and would be too bad if the files there are gone. i understand his frustration.

my photos are still in PB because i have used up only about 50% of the allowed consumption but all my pics are gone from all my posts. i can still retrieve all the pics from PB and but that would be so tedious. i might just start all over again, take new "better" pics, and restart/repost.

wish we could just post pics like in FB, direct from our own files.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Jose S.M.

Then, if all free hosting images sites can and probably will do the same at some point, what other  options are?  It will be very sad to see the collections threads gone all together.

Patrx

Photobucket has been pretty rubbish for years now, unfortunately. Even before this, they were throwing ads at visitors in shady ways and attempting to sell prints of every uploaded image. You can, of course embed photos from Facebook, but they shuffle their infrastructure around every now and then, in which case the links here would have to be updated.

There are other hosting sites like Flickr and Imgur that appear to be pretty stable, and while it's true that they could implement something similar to this PB thing in the future without warning to or input from users, they might be the safest bet outside of paying for space somewhere.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I switched to Imgur this morning, but I'm also considering Flikr. TBH photobucket was awful with not only their ads, but the website was always so slow and hard to use.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Simon

I guess this thread explains why my recently posted photos of PNSO critters "Wilson" and "Doyle" mysteriously vanished 2 nights ago.  Well, ask and ye shall receive.  Photobucket just "dropped" this on us with no notice, no warning, no options.

I used them for 10 years.  So ... I just deleted my Photobucket account, and let them know in no uncertain terms why.  I urge everyone else to do the same. The only acceptable reply to this kind of extortion is "Good Riddance".

So, what are some good free services that will allow us to post "third party images"?  Anyone have any positive experiences to share?

stargatedalek

I use Deviantart, the uploading process is comparatively lengthy and it's not fond of bulk uploading, but there's no storage limit (there's a limit on private storage though, which more or less functions as an overflow for bulk uploading), and you're guaranteed relative stability.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I really hope we don't see hide or hair of photobucket ever again. Very frustrating. On a related note, I think I can say I've learned to save whatever pictures I can if I think I could ever use them for reference in the future... especially with the Faunacasts archive.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Takama

I Gave up on Photobucket years ago. and now that its getting more agressive, I cant say im surprised

I used to use it, until the ads startied downloading things to my computer WITOUT MY PERMISSION. SO i use Ad Block, and for a while, it worked.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(BUT NOW THEY WONT LET ME USE IT WITH AD BLOCK!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

So i basically said Screw you to the website and moved to Flicker

Reptilia

Always hated Photobucket, and never understood why people use it. It is full of ads and takes ages to load a page, I can't even imagine what a pain must be to upload just a single picture there. People using Flickr have any problem? I think it requires an account, right? Can you access with a Yahoo ID?

Takama

WElp      Say good by to ALL the photos in the Faunacasts Archive  ::)

Thank you photobucket, i hope you perish >:(

SBell

Quote from: Reptilia on June 30, 2017, 09:36:21 PM
Always hated Photobucket, and never understood why people use it. It is full of ads and takes ages to load a page, I can't even imagine what a pain must be to upload just a single picture there. People using Flickr have any problem? I think it requires an account, right? Can you access with a Yahoo ID?

As well as Flikr, it is also possible to post images from dropbox, google photos, and probably others. They aren't simple copy and paste--the urls need to be adjusted one way or the other--but they work, and no ads.

Plus, most people have a gmail account, which means they have a Google account, which means they have a Google photos account--and those things can store  a lot of images.

DinoToyForum

This is awful. Damn Photobucket.

I've updated the original post to advise users to avoid photobucket. I think I will also delete my video tutorial (which shows how to post images from Photobucket) and record a new one with some more reliable and user friendly image hosts.

One can never guarantee a free host or website will remain online indefinitely. This is even true for the Dinotoyblog. However, I'd never do a bait and switch like the despicable Photobucket.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Reptilia on June 30, 2017, 09:36:21 PM

Photobucket was relatively user friendly and inviting at first. Over the years it has gradually piled on the mysery with users too invested to simply leave. Like a bad marriage :-\ This 'ransom demand' for third party hosting will see a lot of people finally pluck up the courage for divorce. The cons have now completely outweighed the pros, and there is absolutely nothing worth staying for.

Even Amazon and Ebay have been effected, and many forums like ours. It made the news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40492668
"Bulletin boards across the globe are being crippled as previously vibrant threads with detailed images are disappearing."

sauroid

Photobucket will hopefully go out of business very soon.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

BlueKrono

I've even seen eBay auctions whose photos have been ruined thusly. Way to break the internet, PB.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: