News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re: Feathering proof

Started by Gwangi, October 04, 2013, 03:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on July 24, 2014, 07:30:37 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on July 24, 2014, 06:49:53 AM
Quote from: Trisdino on July 23, 2014, 10:27:27 PM
I believe in fuzzy sauropods. Yes, I just said that.

Not heavily fuzzy sauropods, of course not, but something akin to an elephant, with a thin covering of protofuzz. And no, that is not unrealistic, or even unprobable, phylogenetic bracketing makes fuzz basal to all dinosaurs, possibly even all achrosaurs, so it seems logical to assume that they had at least some amount of fuzz. Then again, I also belive in fuzzy ankylosaurs, hadrosaurs, and all other forms of dinosaurs. Hell, I would propose a primitive achrosaur, basal to both crocodiles, dinosaurs, and pterosaurs, which is bipedal and covered in fuzz. This fuzz was eventually lost in crocodilyforms, but retained in pterosaurs and dinosaurs.
Actually, that is a good point. Sauropods could well have had sparse feathers.

Ultimatedinoking: Even if pterosaur pycnofibers evolved independently from feathers, it is quite clear that some form of filaments were basal to Dinosauria.

This might be relevant: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/07/140724-feathered-siberia-dinosaur-scales-science/

If the most basal archosaurs had feathers, why do we not find them? Many archosaurs are known to have had armored hides or scales, and you don't see alligators with plumes, do you?

Back to pycnofibers, has anyone thought that they might be byproducts of decay? The remnants of fat depositions? Once a beluga washed on shore and rotted, the carcass soon was covered in a "fuzz" leading people to believe it was a "monster" or weirdly a mosasaur.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on July 24, 2014, 07:43:44 PM

Not heavily fuzzy sauropods, of course not, but something akin to an elephant, with a thin covering of protofuzz. And no, that is not unrealistic, or even unprobable, phylogenetic bracketing makes fuzz basal to all dinosaurs, possibly even all achrosaurs, so it seems logical to assume that they had at least some amount of fuzz. Then again, I also belive in fuzzy ankylosaurs, hadrosaurs, and all other forms of dinosaurs. Hell, I would propose a primitive achrosaur, basal to both crocodiles, dinosaurs, and pterosaurs, which is bipedal and covered in fuzz. This fuzz was eventually lost in crocodilyforms, but retained in pterosaurs and dinosaurs.

Ultimatedinoking: Even if pterosaur pycnofibers evolved independently from feathers, it is quite clear that some form of filaments were basal to Dinosauria.

This might be relevant: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/07/140724-feathered-siberia-dinosaur-scales-science/

If the most basal archosaurs had feathers, why do we not find them? Many archosaurs are known to have had armored hides or scales, and you don't see alligators with plumes, do you?

Back to pycnofibers, has anyone thought that they might be byproducts of decay? The remnants of fat depositions? Once a beluga washed on shore and rotted, the carcass soon was covered in a "fuzz" leading people to believe it was a "monster" or weirdly a mosasaur.

First, even Kulindadromeus has croc scutes on parts of its body. Second, even if the archosaurian ancestor had feathers, that doesn't mean 100% of later archosaurs did. They could have reduced the fluff and retained the scutes or retained the fluff and reduced the scutes, or lost both (hadrosaurs don't have scutes, despite both Kulindadromeus, Triceratops, crocs, and birds having scutes, but nobody ever brings that up...).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on July 24, 2014, 08:35:56 PM

First, even Kulindadromeus has croc scutes on parts of its body. Second, even if the archosaurian ancestor had feathers, that doesn't mean 100% of later archosaurs did. They could have reduced the fluff and retained the scutes or retained the fluff and reduced the scutes, or lost both (hadrosaurs don't have scutes, despite both Kulindadromeus, Triceratops, crocs, and birds having scutes, but nobody ever brings that up...).

I can't tell, are you agreeing with me?
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

stargatedalek

crocodile genetics show signs that their ancestors may well have been feathered/had some form of integument
its worth noting that crocodile scutes and scales are also unlike those of other "basic lineage" reptiles

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 24, 2014, 09:36:08 PM
crocodile genetics show signs that their ancestors may well have been feathered/had some form of integument
its worth noting that crocodile scutes and scales are also unlike those of other "basic lineage" reptiles

Do you have a link to the paper?

It helps prove my point that some theropods could have lost feathers.
-UDK

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on July 24, 2014, 08:55:50 PM

I'm saying feather/scales/scutes is not either/or. It's entirely possible many if not most archosaurs had both. Crocs could simply be weird because they're primarily aquatic.

We have pycnifibres impressing that show them clearly above/stemming from skin impressions, so they're not collagen. Lingam-Solier has argued that the feathers of Sinosauropteryx are actually frayed collagen as you describe, but this effect only happens in marine animals with thick, fat laden skin as you saw. Therefore Lingam-Solier thinks compsognathids were fully aquatic and had fins like newts. Nobody else thinks his evidence is compelling. Nobody has thought pterosaurs were aquatic since 1809, so it's unlikely to be the result of degraded thick, fatty skin ;)

stargatedalek

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on July 24, 2014, 10:00:38 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on July 24, 2014, 09:36:08 PM

Do you have a link to the paper?

It helps prove my point that some theropods could have lost feathers.
other than aquatic theropods I can't imagine how
crocodilians (assuming they had integument) only lost it because they became aquatic

sorry I was unable to find the paper I meant, this one touches on it
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15637693

Trisdino

Again, I am probably the of the most extreme people on this "issue". I believe that fuzz was ancestral to all groups of dinosaurs, now that is not all that contriversal, but I also believe that they did not all loose them. In a group the size of, say, sauropods, it is very unlikely that they all completely lost their fuzz(I do not want to call them feathers, because they kinda are not). They may have mostly lost them, that is realistic, but in the timespan presented, I cannot see a good reason for them to have completely lost them. Sauropods with fuzzy tail tips for display, or manes, seem likely to me.

Then again, I also believe in a hypothetical small bipedal fuzzy basal archosaur existing in the early triassic.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Trisdino on July 25, 2014, 08:26:41 AM
Again, I am probably the of the most extreme people on this "issue". I believe that fuzz was ancestral to all groups of dinosaurs, now that is not all that contriversal, but I also believe that they did not all loose them. In a group the size of, say, sauropods, it is very unlikely that they all completely lost their fuzz(I do not want to call them feathers, because they kinda are not). They may have mostly lost them, that is realistic, but in the timespan presented, I cannot see a good reason for them to have completely lost them. Sauropods with fuzzy tail tips for display, or manes, seem likely to me.

Then again, I also believe in a hypothetical small bipedal fuzzy basal archosaur existing in the early triassic.

Somebody other than David Peters should have a look at this specimen... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosesaurus

Inititially reported to have feathers, disregarded by others, but new finds make that somewhat more likely. Exactly the same thing happened with pterosaurs, which were reported to have "hair" in 1831 but disregarded until the discovery of Sirdes in the 1970s.

Trisdino

I cannot help but notice that you were the last one who edited that article. What did you change?

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Trisdino on July 25, 2014, 01:28:48 PM
I cannot help but notice that you were the last one who edited that article. What did you change?

Hmm, that was last year, but checking the page history shows I was formatting the info box.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on July 24, 2014, 11:04:35 PM
Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on July 24, 2014, 08:55:50 PM

I'm saying feather/scales/scutes is not either/or. It's entirely possible many if not most archosaurs had both. Crocs could simply be weird because they're primarily aquatic.

We have pycnifibres impressing that show them clearly above/stemming from skin impressions, so they're not collagen. Lingam-Solier has argued that the feathers of Sinosauropteryx are actually frayed collagen as you describe, but this effect only happens in marine animals with thick, fat laden skin as you saw. Therefore Lingam-Solier thinks compsognathids were fully aquatic and had fins like newts. Nobody else thinks his evidence is compelling. Nobody has thought pterosaurs were aquatic since 1809, so it's unlikely to be the result of degraded thick, fatty skin ;)

Humans are weird because they walk with a vertical spine.

I see, we'll then, oops.
-UDK

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Trisdino on July 25, 2014, 08:26:41 AM

About the timespan issue... Snakes lost their legs in a few million years, and that change would be even more genetically extreme then simply dropping your coat. Archosaurs had plenty of time.
-UDK

stargatedalek

I like the idea of sauropods having display structures on their heads or tails, or sparse coverings
as crocodiles show just because an animal has the genetic capacity for feathers does not necessarily mean it had them, but it does mean it would be fairly simple (comparatively) for the animals within that group to loose or gain such features

Yutyrannus

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 25, 2014, 10:03:27 PM
I like the idea of sauropods having display structures on their heads or tails, or sparse coverings
as crocodiles show just because an animal has the genetic capacity for feathers does not necessarily mean it had them, but it does mean it would be fairly simple (comparatively) for the animals within that group to loose or gain such features
Chances are crocodiliformes never had feathers, pterosaurs and dinosaurs are the only members of Ornithodira. It is likely that their feathered ancestor was a primitive ornithodire, rather than just a primitive archosaur.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 25, 2014, 10:03:27 PM

Now I'm lost, your talking about saurofuzz and then going on to say feathers were easily lost?
-UDK

stargatedalek

I was saying from an artistic perspective I like the idea that sauropods could have had light feathering

and then saying that just because all dinosaurs had the genetic capacity of feathers/integument, doe not mean they necessarily had feathers (since crocodiles also possess said genes and yet they lack feathers)

Yutyrannus

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 26, 2014, 12:10:43 AM
I was saying from an artistic perspective I like the idea that sauropods could have had light feathering

and then saying that just because all dinosaurs had the genetic capacity of feathers/integument, doe not mean they necessarily had feathers (since crocodiles also possess said genes and yet they lack feathers)
As I just said crocodiles probably did not have a feathered ancestor.

Trisdino

Crocodiles had reasons for loosing them, dinosaurs did not. Archosaurs, but especially birds, are very dependent on visual communication, to which feathers are excellent. The concept of sauropods retaining feathers, but using them for display and nothing else seems fully reasonable to me.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Trisdino on July 26, 2014, 06:51:58 AM
Crocodiles had reasons for loosing them, dinosaurs did not. Archosaurs, but especially birds, are very dependent on visual communication, to which feathers are excellent. The concept of sauropods retaining feathers, but using them for display and nothing else seems fully reasonable to me.
Again, as I was saying the feathered ancestor of both dinosaurs and pterosaurs was likely a primitive ornithodire, a group that excludes crocodiliformes. Therefore crocodilians would never have had any feathers to lose.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: