News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Help identifying fossils

Started by Tumbleweeds, October 12, 2013, 07:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tumbleweeds

Hi,
This fossil was found in south central Colorado. I was hoping someone may be able to identify what plant it might be. I have a couple of other fossils I'd like to see if anyone knows what they may be too.
Thank you.

DinoToyForum

Looks like fossil bark to me, could be Lepidodendron/Stigmaria or something similar. Do you know what age the rock is?

Tumbleweeds

I believe it's Permian or Pennsylvanian, more likely the latter.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Tumbleweeds on October 12, 2013, 08:56:01 PM
I believe it's Permian or Pennsylvanian, more likely the latter.

Well, if it's Pennsylvanian (Upper Carboniferous) then Stigmaria root is a good bet :) I'm no plant fossil expert though, so second opinions would be welcome.  O:-)

Tumbleweeds

Thank you very much! It sure looks like it when compared to other pics of Stigmaria root.

Any chance these little critters are identifiable? Each is about the size of a grain of rice. It's fossil limestone from west of  Pagosa Springs, CO. Looks kind of like a fossilized "hatch" of something. Possibly Ordovician or Mississippian. I have a few more to identify after these. Thanks

fleshanthos

That's a Stigmaria root - consider these from Joggins Fossil cliffs, same approx age.
(I don't know which exact age, but the 4 hr walk included Penn.)

The other ones looking like little rice grains are like sow bugs; I remember seeing (and having a sample) of the exact same Isopod-like creature. I'm sorry, I don't remember the name. I will ask someone in the know.
I would guesstimate Ordovician; the fossils where my sample had come from certainly are.

People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Laughable Beliefs

Tumbleweeds

Quote from: fleshanthos on October 14, 2013, 10:04:03 PM
That's a Stigmaria root - consider these from Joggins Fossil cliffs, same approx age.
(I don't know which exact age, but the 4 hr walk included Penn.)
Those are nice, looks like they're pretty good sized.

QuoteThe other ones looking like little rice grains are like sow bugs; I remember seeing (and having a sample) of the exact same Isopod-like creature. I'm sorry, I don't remember the name. I will ask someone in the know.
I would guesstimate Ordovician; the fossils where my sample had come from certainly are.
Much appreciated, thank you.

Here's a bug that belongs to a friend. About the size of a fly. Colorado, late Oligocene. I'm not even sure how insects are named but it'd be nice to have something more scientific to call it than 'bug'.  :)
He found another last weekend, a bit smaller but has the wings that are visible. I can try to get a pic to post of it.

stemturtle

Quote from: Tumbleweeds on October 14, 2013, 05:57:41 PM
Any chance these little critters are identifiable? Each is about the size of a grain of rice. It's fossil limestone from west of  Pagosa Springs, CO. Looks kind of like a fossilized "hatch" of something. Possibly Ordovician or Mississippian. I have a few more to identify after these. Thanks

Fusulinid and a grain of rice

This is an example of the single-celled order Foraminifera.  It is from Missouri during the Pennsylvanian. I got it on eBay.
I am not a paleontologist, but it looks similar.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

fleshanthos

Actually, I'm glad you posted Stem- I need to issue a retraction on those being Isopod-like "bugs".
I looked at his second fossil which has the specimens in cross-section and NOT closely at the first one.
So no, these are not the bugs I'm looking for.
I will try to find mine which is in carbonized shale, to post a pic later.

Tumbleweeds

Quote from: fleshanthos on October 16, 2013, 01:38:10 AM
I looked at his second fossil which has the specimens in cross-section and NOT closely at the first one.
Just to clarify, both pictures are of the same fossil. The first pic is from the top side, the second pic would have been the bottom of it as it sat on the ground so the bugs look kind of squished. Sorry for any confusion.

fleshanthos

Those black "pills" aren't bugs; they're made up of chambers. Looks like probably some kind of coral-like zooites.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.