News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

My first prehistoric model finished.

Started by ningoth4, October 25, 2013, 01:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ningoth4

These are a few pics of my first prehistoric model build. It is a Gastornis/Propaelotherium. The sculpts were done by Max Salas and Shane Foulkes. I have painted the waddles since these were shot as I had forgotten to do them and Shane noticed it in a post elsewhere. The "Terror Bird" is officially listed as a Phorusrhacos, but I decided to go the Gastornis direction based on some research I have done placing these two animals together in the same place and time period. Thanks for looking.  :)

Kevin   

Doug Watson

Quote from: ningoth4 on October 25, 2013, 01:03:45 PM

These are a few pics of my first prehistoric model build. It is a Gastornis/Propaelotherium. The sculpts were done by Max Salas and Shane Foulkes. I have painted the waddles since these were shot as I had forgotten to do them and Shane noticed it in a post elsewhere. The "Terror Bird" is officially listed as a Phorusrhacos, but I decided to go the Gastornis direction based on some research I have done placing these two animals together in the same place and time period. Thanks for looking.  :)
Kevin,
I just have to say WOW! That is the best and most naturalistic painting I have seen in a long time. I especially love the legs, very Emu like. Also the blending on the beak, top drawer. I can't wait to see more. Doug

Kevin

Doug Watson

Kevin,
Sorry for the double post but I really screwed up my first attempt.

I just have to say WOW! That is the best and most naturalistic painting I have seen in a long time. I especially love the legs, very Emu like. Also the blending on the beak, top drawer. I can't wait to see more. Doug

Blade-of-the-Moon

I have to agree..I'm not much on the terror birds ( prefer my dinos a bit older ) but it looks fantastic and very realistic. I suspect you might have some commission work in the near future .  ;)

postsaurischian

:o Very beautiful :D!

Yes, the blending on the beak is astonishing! Wonderfully painted.
Does the Gastornis have glass eyes?

ningoth4

Quote from: Doug Watson on October 25, 2013, 02:59:21 PM
Kevin,
Sorry for the double post but I really screwed up my first attempt.

Thank you Doug! I have had several really nice comments on the beak, so that has been really kewl! I spent a lot of time on the beak and legs as I felt they were going to be key to that natural look. Thanks again for the comment it is greatly appreciated. :)

Kevin

ningoth4

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on October 25, 2013, 05:28:36 PM
I have to agree..I'm not much on the terror birds ( prefer my dinos a bit older ) but it looks fantastic and very realistic. I suspect you might have some commission work in the near future .  ;)

Thank you! Your comment is greatly appreciated! It is very kewl you think I may be able to do commision work. :)

Kevin

ningoth4

Quote from: postsaurischian on October 25, 2013, 08:57:21 PM
:o Very beautiful :D!

Yes, the blending on the beak is astonishing! Wonderfully painted.
Does the Gastornis have glass eyes?

Thank you! I struggled with the beak for a while and then got some input frm Martin Garrett that reminded me of some techniques I use on my female figures and it worked great on the beak. And yes, the eyes are glass on the Gastornis but not the Propaleotherium. They were handpainted.

Kevin

spaniardraptor

ataraxus

it`s very well done, a clean painted and colorful paintjob!

ningoth4

Quote from: ataraxus on November 12, 2013, 04:11:54 PM
it`s very well done, a clean painted and colorful paintjob!

Thank you! Your comment is super appreciated. I have my next dino built and ready for paint. I need to get on that, but at the moment I am building a new Steampunk girl kit that has my attention. But I iwll post my Creative Beast Dilophosaurus here when I get him painted. :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.