News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ikessauro's Diorama

Started by Ikessauro, November 01, 2013, 07:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikessauro

So, I recently added a few more plants to my diorama, the one I used in this years contest. I thought that you might like to see it and give me some feedback, what is good and bad on it. Please let me know what you think. I placed my Bullyland Procynosuchus on the diorama for size reference. I have not edited the photos in any way, these are just like they came out of the camera.

Jetoar

Man, your diorama is awesome  :o. It is a true diorama as I did the last contest but the yours is definetly better. Congratulations again friend  ^-^!
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Georassic

Your foliage is outstanding! Where did you get it? I'm particularly interested in the cycads!

Simon

Beautiful dio, Ikessauro - "piece de resistance" as the French might say ...

postsaurischian

Your diorama is just wonderful, I love it :). The Procynosuchus fits perfectly in.

tyrantqueen

Looks excellent. I like the water effect.

Balaur

WOW! That is just a heart stopping diorama! Love it! Brilliant diorama! Love the Procynosuchus! ;)

Ikessauro

Thank you guys, I appreciate everyone's compliments.

Quote from: Georassic on November 01, 2013, 08:42:50 PM
Your foliage is outstanding! Where did you get it? I'm particularly interested in the cycads!

Georassic.
Most of the plants are a mix of natural stuff with artificial plants from toy bags. The big dead trees are pieces of grapevine branches. The moss is sawdust colored with acrylics. The bigger palm tree is a composite, the trunk is a real tree branch from a pine and the leaves are from a plastic palm tree, repainted with acrylic paint.

The small ferns are H0 scale railroad palm trees striped apart, so I used only the leaves, also repainted. Some of the ferns are H0 scale plastic models too, but some of them I used natural plant parts to make. The thicker ones in the corner opposite to the lake are made of small pine cones. I used cyanoacrylate glue (super glue) to glue plastic leaves on the tip of the pine cone. I also painted the leaves to look more natural. I can make a tutorial of how I did it if you like.
The small bushes are mostly plastic stuff or triturated painted foam. The water is clear resin.

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Gwangi

Very clever techniques for creating your plants. It is a wonderful diorama.

Georassic

Thanks for the info! That's especially interesting about the model railroad plants. Almost every tree in my diorama is from the model railroad store a few miles from my house. I'll have to look past the wire-and-lichen trees, next time I stop in.

The pine cone idea also sounds useful to me, since my display is open-air and partially exposed to the elements...I need materials that stand up to weather...like pine cone cycads!  ;D
cheers
geo

Federreptil

That's a very very fine diorama scenery in a classic manner. And it is amazing how realistic your greens are looking. I know, how difficult it is to avoid a plastic and too symmetrical look in some types of plants. This is here a cool mix with natural materials.

Neven Florian

Bokisaurus

beautiful piece of diorama! I never had the courage or the time to make one, although I have been wanting to make one for a while now ;) I like how flexible the scene is, you can put/alternate so many figures :)

bL00df0x

Wow I really like the diorama, lots of details. Keep up the good work!

Libraraptor

I´ll definitely be in the diorama section more often now, since I saw all these awful dioramas. And yours has even got a Procynosuchus as a protagonist! Great work, unfourtunately it´s quite an underrated hobby...

CityRaptor

Uh, aweful = bad. I think you mean: awesome.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 15, 2014, 03:27:12 PM
In modern usage, yes. However, the word "awful" didn't always have negative connotations. In past times, something that was "awful" could be described as incredible, awe-inspiring etc. For an example of this, there is the sermon "The Awful Presence of God".

I don't know if that was his intention, but it's an interesting bit of trivia.

Ikessauro

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 15, 2014, 05:27:58 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on March 15, 2014, 03:27:12 PM
In modern usage, yes. However, the word "awful" didn't always have negative connotations. In past times, something that was "awful" could be described as incredible, awe-inspiring etc. For an example of this, there is the sermon "The Awful Presence of God".

I don't know if that was his intention, but it's an interesting bit of trivia.

Thanks for all the compliments on my diorama guys. And it is nice to learn something new about the English language in here. Specially because I work as an English teacher over here in Brazil. :)

Libraraptor

Oops, what I wanted to say about the diorama was:
A W E S O M E !
of course, but hadn´t I confused some vocabulary, we wouldn´t know about tyrantqueens little comment. :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: