You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New, large Tyrannosaur found - 80 MY Old - in UTAH

Started by Simon, November 07, 2013, 05:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Krissy

Wow that's exciting. A bit more detail here http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/nov/06/lythronax-argestes-tyrannosaurs I can't find much detail about the feathers and their placement on the body anywhere, but we'll see. It's amazing how robust the skull is, I never thought we'd see such powerful Tyrannosaurids so early in the fossil record. And this looks like it might solve the question of where exactly the late Tyrannosaurids came from, Asia or North America.

Also, 'King of Gore' is just a really cool name.  :))

tyrantqueen

Cool discovery, but actually it says mentions scales and feathers in one sentence. It was pretty easy to miss.

QuoteIt was 24 feet long and 8 feet tall at the hip, and was covered in scales and feathers, Loewen said. Asked what the carnivorous dinosaur ate, Loewen responded: "Whatever it wants."

How big is this tyrannosaurid compared to Yutyrannus?

Gwangi

Are feathers really preserved for this guy or is that just something the journalists are assuming because feathers are on the model?  :-\

wings

Quote from: Gwangi on November 07, 2013, 12:32:01 PM
Are feathers really preserved for this guy or is that just something the journalists are assuming because feathers are on the model?  :-\
It is likely to be an assumption since on the original paper the preserved integument (if any) was never mentioned (http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0079420). I doubt there is any found since it wasn't listed in the material section.

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

amargasaurus cazaui

They basically recovered the skull and little else, and no, there were no feathers found with the animal. He is basing his comments on the given associations that theropods seem to share, and not the skeletal remains found. His precise comment was...the dinosaur would have had feathers when living...not that the remains showed feathers.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Yutyrannus

Awesome! I will probably add this to my series, Dinosaurs: Monsters of the Mesozoic.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

tyrantqueen

Quote from: wings on November 07, 2013, 01:10:50 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on November 07, 2013, 12:32:01 PM
It is likely to be an assumption since on the original paper the preserved integument (if any) was never mentioned (http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0079420). I doubt there is any found since it wasn't listed in the material section.
Isn't this a bit disingenuous on the new reporters' part? :-X People might get the wrong idea and think there was fuzz/feathers preserved when there wasn't. I'm not saying it wasn't fuzzy in real life btw.

QuoteThey basically recovered the skull and little else, and no, there were no feathers found with the animal. He is basing his comments on the given associations that theropods seem to share, and not the skeletal remains found. His precise comment was...the dinosaur would have had feathers when living...not that the remains showed feathers.
Oh, I get it now. I didn't see your post.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.