News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Question about scale size?

Started by Chimera778, November 23, 2013, 04:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chimera778

OK...so almost all of my Carnegie dinosaurs are supposed to be at 1:40 scale.....but it doesn't work out to me.  The Allosaurus seems to big for that scale, in both new and old models, as does the Pachycephalosaurus, and maybe some others.  Some though seem to be fairly good at that scale, the Stegosaurus, T-rex, Triceratops,  Parasaurolophus, and more.  I am basing this on a lego minifig, which seems to be a decent marker for 1:40 to me anyways.  Has anybody else noticed this?  Is it because of re-estimates of animal size from year to year? 

tyrantqueen

I don't think Carnegie's models are in a consistent scale any more. On Safari's website, they state that the scale of the collection varies from 1:5 to 1:65. For example, their Anniversary rex isn't 1/40 scale. It's more of a 1/35:

Try their offficial website for information on an individual model's scale: http://safariltd.com/product/search?q=dinosaur&x=0&y=0

Everything_Dinosaur

As we understand the situation with Safari Ltd, there has been a re-think over the scale of their Carnegie Collectibles range.  It had the umbrella scale statement of 1:40 applied since the early days, but as models such as Caudipteryx, Microraptor and the aforementioned Pachycephalosaurus model were added so the scaling statement became very "loose" and no longer applicable over much of the range.  At Everything Dinosaur we try our best to provide a scale statement if given, we also measure models individually an put up details such as total length, head height etc which hopefully provide more a a guide to an estimate of model scaling.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.