News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Maybe Thylacosmilus?

Started by SBell, January 05, 2014, 03:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

I was reading Mauricio Anton's newest book today, "Sabertooths" (a must-have by the way) and came across his drawing of Thylacosmilus (an animal only made, so far, by a few resin modelers--and, I suppose, the upcoming GeoWorld figure).

This isn't it, but the idea is similar:

It then hit me--there is a figure that may be inspired by Thylacosmilus (that missed the mark in a couple ways...)

The big similarity is of course the neck, head and postcranial shape. The tail and manidbular flange are of course missing because this figure isn't exactly high-end.

Or am I just seeing things? It's funny that, for once, a cheap sabre tooth cat has a short tail, and it probably isn't even a cat (and should have a long tail!). This may be one that even I could modify to look 'right' if I were inclined and motivated to do so!

Gwangi

Thylacosmilus walked plantigrade, the toy looks digitigrade.  :-\

SBell

Quote from: Gwangi on January 05, 2014, 02:52:44 PM

So it does (although, again, some glaring errors regardless of species). I was more looking at the head and neck shape, which is unlike any saber-tooth feliform that I'm aware of.

Gwangi

The neck and some aspects of the body do look similar. I'll bet whoever designed it used a Thylacosmilus in part to design a sabertooth without even knowing what a Thylacosmilus was.

SBell

Just reading stuff on saber tooths (Mauricio Anton's book). Apparently we aren't very clear on the stance of Thylacosmilus (or many other saber tooth animals) so it 'might' not be incorrect. Just less correct!

Jetoar

I think that it is a copy of Kaiyodo UHA dinotales Smilodon.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Gwangi

Quote from: SBell on January 12, 2014, 06:38:53 PM

Just reading stuff on saber tooths (Mauricio Anton's book). Apparently we aren't very clear on the stance of Thylacosmilus (or many other saber tooth animals) so it 'might' not be incorrect. Just less correct!

I see, I was not aware of that. When I read "Big Cats and their Fossil Relatives" I believe it was stated that they were planigrade but that book is a bit aged.

SabertoothKittens

It could just be a copy of an existing Smilodon toy, but it's also possible that the toy was made by people who lump all saber-tooth "cats" together and used pictures from a number of saber-tooth "cats" to create the toy. (sort of like how a lot of chinasaurs aren't made to resemble a specific species, they want a collection of stock dinosaurs so for, say, a sauropod, they throw together traits from a number of different sauropods rather than try to make an apatosaurus or brachiosaurus)

wings

Quote from: Gwangi on January 13, 2014, 01:18:27 AM

I see, I was not aware of that. When I read "Big Cats and their Fossil Relatives" I believe it was stated that they were planigrade but that book is a bit aged.
Perhaps since they are related to the marsupials and most if not all marsupials are plantigrade...

SBell

Quote from: wings on January 13, 2014, 10:43:51 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on January 13, 2014, 01:18:27 AM

Perhaps since they are related to the marsupials and most if not all marsupials are plantigrade...

There is that. The problem is that not all of the bones are known (apparently it appears that the hind foot is semi-plantigrade) but who knows what effect the unique lifestyle of a highly-derived, sabre-toothed predatory marsupial would have on it's overall physiology and morphology. But yeah,most likely it's just a strange rendering of a bunch of different sabre tooth animals without much regard to which one.

Megalosaurus

Wow.
I have that figure. I bought it in a flea market. It will be interesting to customize it in that marsupial. I hope you decide to do it.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

wings

Quote from: SBell on January 13, 2014, 01:57:15 PM
There is that. The problem is that not all of the bones are known (apparently it appears that the hind foot is semi-plantigrade) but who knows what effect the unique lifestyle of a highly-derived, sabre-toothed predatory marsupial would have on it's overall physiology and morphology...
I suppose it could well be true since if you look at a Tasmanian Tiger; it could be both...

SBell

Quote from: Megalosaurus on January 13, 2014, 07:27:22 PM
Wow.
I have that figure. I bought it in a flea market. It will be interesting to customize it in that marsupial. I hope you decide to do it.

I lack...skill. But it's kind of a crappy figure (people may notice that it is not in any of my collections photos--it did not make the cut). I'd be less wary if I had a spare but then, I have too much anyway!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.