News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Sea reptiles on land

Started by Brachiosaurus, January 14, 2014, 11:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brachiosaurus

I know that many of the sea reptiles of the Mesozoic were to large to go on land and not die, but lets say a young pleasiosaur, pliosaur, or mosasaur got beach by a storm or something and was uninjured. Does anyone think they would be able to haul themselves back into the water?

SBell

Quote from: Brachiosaurus on January 14, 2014, 11:46:27 PM
I know that many of the sea reptiles of the Mesozoic were to large to go on land and not die, but lets say a young pleasiosaur, pliosaur, or mosasaur got beach by a storm or something and was uninjured. Does anyone think they would be able to haul themselves back into the water?

A sea turtle is barely able to crawl up far enough to lay eggs. Even small dolphins, when beached, die without help. I don't think there would be much hope for all but the luckiest ones--their musculature and limbs aren't meant for pushing like that.  Maybe a small, very snake-like mosasaur.

But there are people here who could probably speak to physiology better than me.

tyrantqueen

Maybe. But there's the possibility they could be picked off by predators when they're on dry land. If they had been in a storm, they could have also been exhausted by fighting the waves and be unable to defend themselves (and of course they're out of their element)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.