News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

NEW Papo, Schleich, CollectA bootlegs

Started by sauroid, January 19, 2014, 01:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

have you seen these new knockoffs made by the chinese company Nayab? (the T.rex looks even much better than the previous Papo fake that was posted recently).

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

Huh, interesting. I have some Safari bootlegs lying around, and these look pretty similar in style. I can tell you that they look okay at a distance, but when you get up close the details are inferior compared to the original sculpture.

Do the photos (and figures) belong to you?

sauroid

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 19, 2014, 01:36:53 PM
Do the photos (and figures) belong to you?
no. i got them from the Nayab website. they even copied some extant animal figures from the same brands.
http://www.nayab.com.hk/Products/Animal_Kingdom/Realistic_Animals_Series/list_106_1.html (i dont know if posting links is allowed)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Roselaar

And they also ripped off Chap Mei's Dino Valley tagline. ::) Interesting mix off bootlegs, makes for a rather inconsistent set of figures.

What's 'nltra-cool'? An abbreviation for 'not ultra cool'? :)

CityRaptor

Interesting bootlegs, they are even ripping off the Schleich package. So, if S = Schleich, does that mean that B = Bootleg?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

"The new age of models is coming"...lol, what a riot. That age is already here people, otherwise you wouldn't have models to bootleg!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on January 19, 2014, 06:50:48 PM
"The new age of models is coming"...lol, what a riot. That age is already here people, otherwise you wouldn't have models to bootleg!
If they have anything to do with it, it will be a dark age >:D

Carnosaur

That's why i don't buy bootlegs.
I'd rather spend my money supporting the companies who make great figures so they will continue doing so.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Carnosaur on January 19, 2014, 07:39:46 PM
That's why i don't buy bootlegs.
I'd rather spend my money supporting the companies who make great figures so they will continue doing so.
I agree. Although it can be amusing sometimes seeing how hard the bootleggers fail at copying the original models (some bootlegs I owned had some hilarious Engrish descriptions, as well) but for the most part I'd rather support the original creators.

Sometimes, bootlegs can even be unsafe, because they haven't had the proper safety checks (and they could have been made in a factory somewhere, using lead paint)

CityRaptor

Yes, that aswell. Inferior quality and safety concerns, aswell as them being a form of theft. Real Deal or Nothing!
Weren't some of the Papo bootlegs in another tread also more expensive than the ones they copied?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sauroid

these could be available only within China.

Libraraptor

Blatant copies. Mostly comibing a Schleich and a CollectA one.

Doug Watson

Just so you know the making of knock offs or recasts is not a victimless crime. In the 80s and 90s when the garage kit business was at its peak unscrupulous companies out of Asia started doing recasts of the popular vinyl kits and charged a fraction of the original price for their low quality rip offs. They were smaller from remoulding shrinkage, had loss of detail and often were riddled with air bubbles and pour fit. The re-casters didn't have any of the expenses like research, sculpting or licensing. This practice hurt the business so bad we lost companies like Screamin, Horizon, and Geometric. Not to mention who knows how many independent kit makers.
Not only did we lose the legitimate companies, freelance sculptors lost their work as well. Even enthusiast magazines were hurt from loss of advertising. The loss of the legit companies has also resulted in less variety since the rip off companies don't produce anything new and original.
Now if you want one of Horizons amazing Stan Winston Jurassic Park vinyls you have to pay inflated amounts on eBay when you can find them. The irony is some of those cheap recasts can also still be found on eBay and some of those are now approaching the original retail prices.
Do not support re-casters it is theft.

sauroid

China is the guilty source of all this piracy. from toys to gadgets, DVDs/Blue-Rays, designer apparels/accessories, softwares, you name it.

Hermes888

Quote from: sauroid on February 09, 2014, 03:56:31 PM
China is the guilty source of all this piracy. from toys to gadgets, DVDs/Blue-Rays, designer apparels/accessories, softwares, you name it.
Up to and including a bootlegged Colbert Report.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: sauroid on February 09, 2014, 03:56:31 PM

This is a really interesting documentary about the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV_bDXgeg7Q

The fake eggs thing is insane.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.