News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nice Archaeopteryx

Started by Sumo, March 31, 2012, 06:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sumo

Look, isn't it pretty? No awkwardly stuck on "hands", no lizardy head... *dreamy sigh* I just had to share it! :D Would you believe it's from the 1930s?

It's from a book called The science of life by Julian Huxley (et al) that I managed to snag at a library auction. Obviously the science in the book is pretty outdated, but there's some fantastic art. This was drawn by someone called L.R. Brightwell who seems to be a general wildlife artist.

[attachment msg=3782][/attachment]
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

Tylosaurus

Yeah very nice indeed, maybe you or someone from this fantastic board should do a repaint of that art and add color to it, give it more life :)

Sumo

Color?! Eep!  :o Not me then... Though it would be nice to see one in something other than the standard blue-green-brown combo. (I'm currently repainting one of my Bullylands, and it's orange. ;D)
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

Gwangi

That must be one of the better Archeopteryx reproductions I've seen, especially for its age. Looks more like an actual bird (as it should) instead of some strange bird/reptile chimaera.

Sumo

Exactly! It's amazing how rare that really is. Did a quick tour of Wikidino, and... yikes.
And the artists who know what they're doing try too hard to show they've got the anatomy right and end up with these super-skinny, peeled looking critters that in no way reflect how a feathered animal looks. (One of my main quibbles with GSP - there really is no need for him to do life restorations, because they look exactly like his skeletals anyway.)
- Dr Darren Naish

Gwangi

Quote from: Sumo on March 31, 2012, 09:59:30 PM
Exactly! It's amazing how rare that really is. Did a quick tour of Wikidino, and... yikes.
And the artists who know what they're doing try too hard to show they've got the anatomy right and end up with these super-skinny, peeled looking critters that in no way reflect how a feathered animal looks. (One of my main quibbles with GSP - there really is no need for him to do life restorations, because they look exactly like his skeletals anyway.)

Good point there on GSP. Feathered animals look very different from their counterparts without them and illustrations should reflect that.

I like to show people these two illustrations when discussing this topic. I think a lot of feathered dinosaur artists should pay more attention to modern birds.

As for Archeopteryx, my personal favorite illustration is this one by Peter Schouten.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.