News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The reissue of limited editions

Started by postsaurischian, February 04, 2014, 06:59:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

QuoteI collect what I like and if it appreciates in value  so much the better. Once I get my hands on them the dinosaurs I have are worthless, or perhaps priceless, depending how you view it...
I tend to collect in the same way. I buy stuff that appeals to me, not because it's rare. And stuff I buy I usually personalise them in some way, such as repainting them. They are more special to me after that.

Your mum seems like a wise lady :)

Ikessauro

I consider myself a kind of completist collector, always seeking models to complete a set. When I finally get a set complete and the company releases another piece, it can be both a joy or a nightmare. You see, when it is a cheap toy set, you simply get the newly release one, but when the new piece costs $300 or more it can be a bit annoying. Specially when it is just a repaint of a limited piece. Another problem with repaints is that if you want a complete set, with every color variation available, newly released repaints just get in the way of you buying another model. Papo is an example of it. If they didn't release the Raptor with JP3 paint job, they could have done another species or I at least could have saved the money for another different sculpt. Instead of the new Brown T.rex they could have done Dilophosaurus or CArnotaurus earlier, or even Giganotosaurus.

Anyway, I don't collect for money, but because I like it. I on the other hand can't lie about my preference for rare toys. I love to have a very scarce model, like Papo Brown Running T.rex. If someday Papo releases it worldwide, I would not be the most happy collector, because something I have just went from the top of the most wanted list to the very bottom of it. Things like that are what makes a collection special. If everyone had the exact same number of models from the same manufacturers, a lot of the fun of collecting wouldn't exist.

tyrantqueen

QuoteI know of pieces I want but will never get..like that darn Rex Mundi that keeps popping up in front of me.  ( Thanks Shane ! )
Off topic, but wasn't that model going to be rereleased? There certainly wouldn't be any complaints from me if that were the case.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Wow. Lots of great opinions. For myself, I can see where postsaurichian and the others are coming from...but then again, I'm happy and excited to have the chance to finally get the Spino and Styracosaurus. I have always looked longingly at these models, and to have a second chance is great. I guess it just depends on which side of the table you're on. If you already have Sideshow models, it might not be an amazing thing to have those models re-released. But for people like myself, it is a cause for celebration.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 04, 2014, 06:50:03 PM
Quote"  Dr. Ian Malcolm: If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now

[bangs on the table]

Dr. Ian Malcolm: you're selling it, you wanna sell it. Well...  "
I don't really understand, are you implying it takes discipline, knowledge and responsibility to own a resin statue? :-\

I summed it up here : " You sort of have to read into it but a similar sentiment. It cheapens things. "

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 04, 2014, 07:02:43 PM
Oh, something else I forgot to mention. A really fun part of this hobby is hunting down bargains. I won an Invicta Troodon in a eBay lot for 50p once. It brought a smile to my face because it was like finding a hidden treasure. So, looking at the toy, it brings back happy memories of that experience. Just because I didn't spend a hundred pounds on it doesn't mean I don't appreciate it or have nice memories attached to it. Just something I want to point out.

But why was it such a good deal ? Because they usually sell for more and are more rare right ? And getting it like that made you happy. :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 04, 2014, 07:06:49 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 04, 2014, 06:44:47 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 04, 2014, 06:34:07 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 04, 2014, 06:05:57 PM
Quote from: Patrx on February 04, 2014, 06:00:34 PM
In my opinion, it's pretty harmless to reissue a collectible item. If a piece is worth having and can be manufactured easily, why shouldn't many people have it? Rarity - especially artificial, manufactured rarity - isn't particularly important to me and just drives the cost up. For example, I dislike the 2010 Papo raptor paint and wanted the earlier version. I was frustrated to discover that the old one was no longer being made. I ended up spending multiple times the original retail cost of the item just because it was rare. The rarity doesn't make it look any different, it doesn't make it more interesting, it just makes it annoyingly expensive.
I agree, and I very much dislike the money-obsessed, materialistic side of this hobby.

I really don't think there's much money obsession. In fact, I doubt anyone on this forum is collecting dinosaurs for that reason!

I think it important to remember that collectibles have more value than pure monetary value, and reissue potentially impacts both. Rare figures are special figures and perhaps reissue undoes some of the magic.

I wouldn't say anyone here is buying for the potential money they can get later either.   You can see what re-issues did the JP toy collectors..or even the Star Wars collectors..it's usually a bad thing for any hobby.

As I said above when something is so easily obtained it seems to make less valuable..both in money and in care of it.   Speaking of JP, recall Malcolm's speech to John Hammond :  "  Dr. Ian Malcolm: If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now

[bangs on the table]

You sort of have to read into it but a similar sentiment. It cheapens things. ;)

WWD ornithocheirus! If I was to create a flock of WWD Ornithocheirus on this forum you wouldn't have anything to say about it!

;D

In principal..wrong. ;)  Of course so few of them exist there isn't even enough to base a price on.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 05, 2014, 12:25:52 AM
In my opinion, it's pretty harmless to reissue a collectible item. If a piece is worth having and can be manufactured easily, why shouldn't many people have it? Rarity - especially artificial, manufactured rarity - isn't particularly important to me and just drives the cost up. For example, I dislike the 2010 Papo raptor paint and wanted the earlier version. I was frustrated to discover that the old one was no longer being made. I ended up spending multiple times the original retail cost of the item just because it was rare. The rarity doesn't make it look any different, it doesn't make it more interesting, it just makes it annoyingly expensive.
I agree, and I very much dislike the money-obsessed, materialistic side of this hobby.

I really don't think there's much money obsession. In fact, I doubt anyone on this forum is collecting dinosaurs for that reason!

I think it important to remember that collectibles have more value than pure monetary value, and reissue potentially impacts both. Rare figures are special figures and perhaps reissue undoes some of the magic.

I wouldn't say anyone here is buying for the potential money they can get later either.   You can see what re-issues did the JP toy collectors..or even the Star Wars collectors..it's usually a bad thing for any hobby.

As I said above when something is so easily obtained it seems to make less valuable..both in money and in care of it.   Speaking of JP, recall Malcolm's speech to John Hammond :  "  Dr. Ian Malcolm: If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now

[bangs on the table]

You sort of have to read into it but a similar sentiment. It cheapens things. ;)

WWD ornithocheirus! If I was to create a flock of WWD Ornithocheirus on this forum you wouldn't have anything to say about it!

;D

In principal..wrong. ;)  Of course so few of them exist there isn't even enough to base a price on.

;D I was only following through on your jp theme for fits and giggles  :P I didn't mean it  ^-^

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 04, 2014, 07:11:49 PM
I used to agonize over wether to remove the hang tags from my dinosaur figures and so forth. Should I remove this one from the box or keep it sealed to preserve the value? One day I made a similar comment in front of my mother and she made a comment that was very telling for me. She said....." You will never sell those dinosaurs anyways. It does not really matter what they are worth or if they arent worth alot. They will never be sold till you are gone, and it wont matter to you then anyways."
In thinking about it, I realized she is quite correct. It just does not matter to me because I will never get rid of them. I collect what I like and if it appreciates in value  so much the better. Once I get my hands on them the dinosaurs I have are worthless, or perhaps priceless, depending how you view it...

That's true. I mean I only buy what I like anyway. Never with an intention to resell.  Although if I want something else I will sell other parts of my collection to afford it. So if those parts are worth more it might help you know ?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 05, 2014, 12:29:52 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 05, 2014, 12:25:52 AM

[bangs on the table]

;D

;D I was only following through on your jp theme for fits and giggles  :P I didn't mean it  ^-^
lol I know just saying bud. :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Ikessauro on February 04, 2014, 08:07:14 PM
I consider myself a kind of completist collector, always seeking models to complete a set. When I finally get a set complete and the company releases another piece, it can be both a joy or a nightmare. You see, when it is a cheap toy set, you simply get the newly release one, but when the new piece costs $300 or more it can be a bit annoying. Specially when it is just a repaint of a limited piece. Another problem with repaints is that if you want a complete set, with every color variation available, newly released repaints just get in the way of you buying another model. Papo is an example of it. If they didn't release the Raptor with JP3 paint job, they could have done another species or I at least could have saved the money for another different sculpt. Instead of the new Brown T.rex they could have done Dilophosaurus or CArnotaurus earlier, or even Giganotosaurus.

Anyway, I don't collect for money, but because I like it. I on the other hand can't lie about my preference for rare toys. I love to have a very scarce model, like Papo Brown Running T.rex. If someday Papo releases it worldwide, I would not be the most happy collector, because something I have just went from the top of the most wanted list to the very bottom of it. Things like that are what makes a collection special. If everyone had the exact same number of models from the same manufacturers, a lot of the fun of collecting wouldn't exist.

Exactly.  Repaints can be cool but usually are a pain. Variants take up more space and make a collection looked cluttered I think. I'm all about one of each usually unless I have an idea or a project like packs and such.  Money we spent on one piece we might have to do again to get a paint job we prefer. Ao it costs us twice, if we don't want two we have to resell one...that takes time and effort.   This move by Sideshow will no doubt be an issue to many collectors in the long run as they decide how to handle it in their collections. 

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 04, 2014, 09:09:16 PM
QuoteI know of pieces I want but will never get..like that darn Rex Mundi that keeps popping up in front of me.  ( Thanks Shane ! )
Off topic, but wasn't that model going to be rereleased? There certainly wouldn't be any complaints from me if that were the case.

David has mentioned it..but it's been a long while since. I keep seeing it in older collections though.  I myself used to see so many awesome models in the pages of PT when I was younger..I never could afford any though til the past couple years.   He was going to resculpt it a bit so it would be a huge offense to other collectors..and I don't think he even intended it to be a  limited edition..it just sold out or the mold broke at any rate.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on February 04, 2014, 09:14:19 PM
Wow. Lots of great opinions. For myself, I can see where postsaurichian and the others are coming from...but then again, I'm happy and excited to have the chance to finally get the Spino and Styracosaurus. I have always looked longingly at these models, and to have a second chance is great. I guess it just depends on which side of the table you're on. If you already have Sideshow models, it might not be an amazing thing to have those models re-released. But for people like myself, it is a cause for celebration.

Is the issue availability or cost ?  Let's do a what if.  Say I sold you my current one to pay for the new one. I paid around 300.00 plus shipping that's not taking any of the rarity into account. Would you buy it ?  It's probably the same price as the new one or the new one might be more even. I still don't know what Sideshow's plan is exactly for this re-release.

Zelan

Since I missed out on the spinosaurus and styracosaurus the first time around, I'm glad for the repaints. If I already had them I might be annoyed that their rarity/value might go down but for the most part whatever I collect I keep forever, so it makes like practical difference. I still tell myself that sideshow pieces tend to appreciate in value so it's an investment to justify spending so much. Just an investment that I will never cash in on.  ;) It's just nice knowing they are worth something even if you never let them go.

tanystropheus

The Mosasaurus is a work of art (actually, they all are) and will look visually enticing even in a non-prehistoric individuals collection of antiques and/or furnitures. It will probably be my first Sideshow, if I ever decide to get one. I'm thrilled to find out about the re-issues, despite the fact that the originals had better paint jobs (especially the Spinosaurus). I really hope these models stay at retail price for another year or so, as I seem to be completely broke at the moment. Please re-issue Tupuxuara --heck, you can even give it a ridiculous DR Quetz v.2 cheetah/serval print paint job for all I care...I just want it in any shape or form!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 05, 2014, 01:54:18 AM
The Mosasaurus is a work of art (actually, they all are) and will look visually enticing even in a non-prehistoric individuals collection of antiques and/or furnitures. It will probably be my first Sideshow, if I ever decide to get one. I'm thrilled to find out about the re-issues, despite the fact that the originals had better paint jobs (especially the Spinosaurus). I really hope these models stay at retail price for another year or so, as I seem to be completely broke at the moment. Please re-issue Tupuxuara --heck, you can even give it a ridiculous DR Quetz v.2 cheetah/serval print paint job for all I care...I just want it in any shape or form!
I agree, and while we're on the subject, I wouldn't mind a re-issue of the Apatosaurus either 8) Apatosaurus lousiae is my namesake ;D It'll probably never happen, but I can dream, right?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Zelan on February 05, 2014, 01:40:47 AM
Since I missed out on the spinosaurus and styracosaurus the first time around, I'm glad for the repaints. If I already had them I might be annoyed that their rarity/value might go down but for the most part whatever I collect I keep forever, so it makes like practical difference. I still tell myself that sideshow pieces tend to appreciate in value so it's an investment to justify spending so much. Just an investment that I will never cash in on.  ;) It's just nice knowing they are worth something even if you never let them go.

That's true..though if they de-value then you cant tell yourself that.. ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 05, 2014, 01:54:18 AM

I might sell my Spino so keep your ears open if that interests you.

The Tupuxuara wasn't like the other pieces..it had a low price and no exclusive edition either. So it made it pretty rare..almost as rare as the Euoplocephalus hatchling.

The Apatosaurus might be re-released...though I understand they had a lot of issues with the tail during shipping on that one.

SBell

Rambling time! I've been collecting for over 20 years now (with varying seriousness, but still) so I've had lots of time to consider this very question.

I have mixed opinions but I am generally in favour of access to all.  Really, there are some things that so many people want, it seems selfish to want to deny them access just because they weren't collectors, or able to afford it (or even born) the first time around. How many people have wanted a way to see Play Visions release so many of its lost treasures? I have many of them, and if they came out again, I wouldn't feel like mine were any less valuable to me. I'd probably buy more!

Kind of like when Bullyland re-released their mammals a few years ago. Sure, early owners (like me) might have felt like the market got a bunch of new ones and 'flooded' the market, but then, it isn't like most of us sell them anyway, and I am very against the gouging that can go into the pricing of 'rare' toys. Especially people that effectively hoard, buying all they can with no plans to trade or sell anything no matter how many people are desperately wanting just one (I also appreciate taking the wind out of the sails of the people who are heavily over-pricing toys--for example, what some people currently expect for Kaiyodo animal figures are ridiculous; a new run would likely give people a chance to build a collection).

In the end they are market driven--it turns out that a company sees no value from resale of their collectables (other than, maybe, reputation, but that still needs to be directly monetized). If they are still around, and there is still demand, it makes economic sense to create more selling opportunities. In fact, the rarity of the figures (and the collectors who brag about them) may cause the demand to reach a level that a company won't ignore (if they are still around and can actually do it). There will likely be a numbering/series issue included with re-releases so a serious collector will know what they are getting--look at how Battat T.rexes are qualified based on release schedule. If there is one thing a collector can do better than assign value to objects of interest, it's develop hierarchical schemes that vary the value based on a set of rules and qualifiers.

So if it's a collection of truly rare and valuable items, then the only way is to commission one-off pieces or purchase pieces from people that have very limited release ability (Malcolm! Still waiting!). Or pieces from runs that are affected by situations that were unexpected (burned down studios, companies folding, etc). Also keep in mind, a run like Sideshow is only a few hundred (I think). If they do another run, it will mean another few hundred--in the grand scheme, that still isn't much in the way of flooding any market. Toys, of course, are in runs of thousands, but even so, there are some that people still can't find. And I tend to be in favour of other people have collections that get out of hand too!

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 05, 2014, 12:53:10 AM
Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on February 04, 2014, 09:14:19 PM

Is the issue availability or cost ?  Let's do a what if.  Say I sold you my current one to pay for the new one. I paid around 300.00 plus shipping that's not taking any of the rarity into account. Would you buy it ?  It's probably the same price as the new one or the new one might be more even. I still don't know what Sideshow's plan is exactly for this re-release.
The issue for me varies from time to time. Sometimes it's availability, sometimes cost-you know how that goes.
As far as Sideshow goes, it's availability. The first time I saw Sideshow, most of them (the ones I wanted, of course) were already unavailable.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: