News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The reissue of limited editions

Started by postsaurischian, February 04, 2014, 06:59:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 04, 2014, 06:18:55 AM
Quote from: postsaurischian on February 04, 2014, 06:13:37 AM

:( I always don't like it when they make a new edition of something they sold as limited edition.

The Styracosaurus is in 1:12. The Spino I don't know (I don't have it), but I also guess it's in 1:20 :-\.
May I ask why not? You don't have to buy it if you don't want to :) Besides, it gives those of us who weren't around when the first ones were released a chance (besides having to go to eBay and pay those crazy prices...)

Having to buy the model for a second time is not my reason. I would never buy the same model just because of another paintjob.
I would rather send the one I have to Martin and let him give it the colours of my choice :).
I for one like the first Styracosaurus version better anyway.

I understand your point of view.

Let me try to explain:
You pay EUR 200+ for a model that is offered as limited to 250 pieces.
Everyone (Sideshow too) knows that offering a piece as a limited edition increases the number of sales.
Sideshow especially was famous for sticking by that (until now ::)).
I'm not angry. I love my Styracosaurus and I grant everyone else the same joy.
I just don't see Sideshow as a reliable company anymore, that's all. But hey, it's the 21st century - being reliable is very outdated :P!

I also see those statues as limited copies of pieces of art. What do you think happens when they do this with Salvador Dali's limited bronze statues editions? Everyone would say that's fraud.

I know I'm exaggerating a bit ;D, but that's me.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 04, 2014, 06:59:40 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 04, 2014, 06:18:55 AM
Quote from: postsaurischian on February 04, 2014, 06:13:37 AM

:( I always don't like it when they make a new edition of something they sold as limited edition.

The Styracosaurus is in 1:12. The Spino I don't know (I don't have it), but I also guess it's in 1:20 :-\.
May I ask why not? You don't have to buy it if you don't want to :) Besides, it gives those of us who weren't around when the first ones were released a chance (besides having to go to eBay and pay those crazy prices...)

Having to buy the model for a second time is not my reason. I would never buy the same model just because of another paintjob.
I would rather send the one I have to Martin and let him give it the colours of my choice :).
I for one like the first Styracosaurus version better anyway.

I understand your point of view.

Let me try to explain:
You pay EUR 200+ for a model that is offered as limited to 250 pieces.
Everyone (Sideshow too) knows that offering a piece as a limited edition increases the number of sales.
Sideshow especially was famous for sticking by that (until now ::)).
I'm not angry. I love my Styracosaurus and I grant everyone else the same joy.
I just don't see Sideshow as a reliable company anymore, that's all. But hey, it's the 21st century - being reliable is very outdated :P!

I also see those statues as limited copies of pieces of art. What do you think happens when they do this with Salvador Dali's limited bronze statues editions? Everyone would say that's fraud.

I know I'm exaggerating a bit ;D, but that's me.

I had some of the same concerns after thinking about it.  What happens to the value of our pieces we've bought ? My collection is sort of an investment..I buy what I like but I also like the rarity and worth which adds to it's collectibility.  That's damaged by re-issues and re-paints..though the originals are still sought re-paints and re-issues do damage it.   Our best bet if we're concerned over worth may be to sell out and buy the new ones. Which I'm thinking of myself...especially in the case of the Spinosaurus. I could probably live with two Styracs..then I would have book ends.. ;)

DinoToyForum

Topic split because it is worthy of its own thread.  :)

Ikessauro

I don't even have a sideshow piece, except the Brachiosaurus ornament, but when I saw the repainted models I kinda felt angry. I too hate repaints or re-releases. Sometimes  you invest money and time looking for a model, then next week it's back on production again.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 04, 2014, 08:27:50 AM
Topic split because it is worthy of its own thread.  :)

lol I was like "what happened ? I know I typed something about value last night.. "  thought I was going nuts for a minute.   ;D

QuoteI don't even have a sideshow piece, except the Brachiosaurus ornament, but when I saw the repainted models I kinda felt angry. I too hate repaints or re-releases. Sometimes  you invest money and time looking for a model, then next week it's back on production again.

I've been strictly against repaints for a long time..but rarely are they better than the originals..just look at the JP toys.  It is annoying to buy something and then have make another one you like better or at all. I mean they did the faux bronze pieces already, which were nice..but it made more available people could buy and have repainted if they wanted a color piece.  Now they are adding new color pieces. They could alter the pose somewhat to make them at least a bit different so our current ones hold value.  My only solution is to either cash out and get the new ones or wait it out and see if the older ones can hold their value. It's a pretty difficult decision really.

To my knowledge Sideshow has never done this before...and it's also odd because the Spinosaurus took awhile to sell out ..or longer than the first releases anyway if I recall correctly.   

I'm also curious as the price point.  The last ones were regular editions and exclusive editions..they had around a 50.00 difference in price.  Lately all versions those with skulls ( exclusive ) and without have been the same price.  So what will these be ? Exclusives with skulls or without and the same price no matter what ?   

They say they are doing this for fans that missed out the first go round..while I applaud the sentiment that does hurt the collectors that were there first and stuck with the line since it's inception...and should more recent collectors that bought in and paid the current value it will upset them even more.  It should also say something to the new collector as yes he/she will have a previously rare piece but it's value will have gone down so sort of hurts them too if they care about rarity and value.

tyrantqueen

I can see where you guys are coming from. However, the original paints will still be the rarest and most sought after (such as the case was with Papo's brown velociraptor and, soon, the green Tyrannosaurus).

I don't collect for monetary reasons. I only do it because I have a love of the subject matter. I am not trying to make an "investment" in rare models, and then make a fortune on them later on down the road.

If the shoe is on the other foot, you'll also find it's pretty unfair. I'll never have a chance to buy some of the Sideshow models that I really wanted (such the Apatosaurus, Carnotaurus or Tyrannosaurus) without paying an extreme amount of money. It's sort of like an exclusive club, and I'm barred from it :-\

Patrx

In my opinion, it's pretty harmless to reissue a collectible item. If a piece is worth having and can be manufactured easily, why shouldn't many people have it? Rarity - especially artificial, manufactured rarity - isn't particularly important to me and just drives the cost up. For example, I dislike the 2010 Papo raptor paint and wanted the earlier version. I was frustrated to discover that the old one was no longer being made. I ended up spending multiple times the original retail cost of the item just because it was rare. The rarity doesn't make it look any different, it doesn't make it more interesting, it just makes it annoyingly expensive.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Patrx on February 04, 2014, 06:00:34 PM
In my opinion, it's pretty harmless to reissue a collectible item. If a piece is worth having and can be manufactured easily, why shouldn't many people have it? Rarity - especially artificial, manufactured rarity - isn't particularly important to me and just drives the cost up. For example, I dislike the 2010 Papo raptor paint and wanted the earlier version. I was frustrated to discover that the old one was no longer being made. I ended up spending multiple times the original retail cost of the item just because it was rare. The rarity doesn't make it look any different, it doesn't make it more interesting, it just makes it annoyingly expensive.
I agree, and I very much dislike the money-obsessed, materialistic side of this hobby.

postsaurischian

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 04, 2014, 06:05:57 PM
....... I very much dislike the money-obsessed, materialistic side of this hobby.

I feel a bit misunderstood but must admit that it's getting to hard for me now to explain what I mean in English :P .... so, never mind.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 04, 2014, 05:57:11 PM
I can see where you guys are coming from. However, the original paints will still be the rarest and most sought after (such as the case was with Papo's brown velociraptor and, soon, the green Tyrannosaurus).

I don't collect for monetary reasons. I only do it because I have a love of the subject matter. I am not trying to make an "investment" in rare models, and then make a fortune on them later on down the road.

If the shoe is on the other foot, you'll also find it's pretty unfair. I'll never have a chance to buy some of the Sideshow models that I really wanted (such the Apatosaurus, Carnotaurus or Tyrannosaurus) without paying an extreme amount of money. It's sort of like an exclusive club, and I'm barred from it :-\

It may work out that way but you never know..it's sure to harm demand to an extent.

I don't buy for money but when you collect something and it does hold value it's a big help, especially should you ever have a really good reason to sell.  I've drastically reduced my godzilla collection in order to help fund projects for my park..otherwise I wouldn't have funds for the projects we have.   I love every piece I buy but there is always new items coming out , sometimes you can even trade one older piece for a few newer ones..that's all part of the hobby and being a collector..goes all the way back to baseball cards and maybe even longer.

It's not a matter of being barred ( and I hate you feel that way. )...there are newer pieces that are cheaper to afford...so you can get started.  For example, some of us can't afford expensive antique cars but like them, so you save up or buy parts and build one.  It makes it all the more valuable to you the effort that went into it.  I traded some and used hard earned money to buy my pieces. You do that , build your car up and then a company just produces more making yours worth less.   Rare early pieces are where " grails " come from. They are something to aspire to.

I know of pieces I want but will never get..like that darn Rex Mundi that keeps popping up in front of me.  ( Thanks Shane ! )   

tyrantqueen

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 04, 2014, 06:11:29 PM
....... I very much dislike the money-obsessed, materialistic side of this hobby.

I feel a bit misunderstood but must admit that it's getting to hard for me now to explain what I mean in English :P .... so, never mind.
Oh, I do appreciate where you're coming from, and your point is a valid one. There's always two sides to every story. If I was in your position, I'd probably be annoyed too.

Sort of the same thing happens in the video game collecting hobby. I spend a lot of money hunting down rare, NTSC only RPG Playstation games, and then they get rereleased on newer consoles. But it does give younger gamers the chance to play them, so I am not complaining.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Ah, very true...but you wanted it and now you have it, does the effort and money it make any more special to you ? That's part of what rarity does.   With collectors it helps set bars.  If it doesn't mean anything to you why want it ?  You could have bought the new one and perhaps had it repainted as the old one for less. It would seem rarity does make pieces more interesting and desirable..it changes how you look at a piece.   Now  I'm not looking to upset just asking questions..I've asked my self the same ..often many times. Nostalgia drives me to spend more on rare pieces usually.

DinoToyForum

I agree, and I very much dislike the money-obsessed, materialistic side of this hobby.

I really don't think there's much money obsession. In fact, I doubt anyone on this forum is collecting dinosaurs for that reason!

I think it important to remember that collectibles have more value than pure monetary value, and reissue potentially impacts both. Rare figures are special figures and perhaps reissue undoes some of the magic.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 04, 2014, 06:27:43 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on February 04, 2014, 06:11:29 PM

Oh, I do appreciate where you're coming from, and your point is a valid one. There's always two sides to every story. If I was in your position, I'd probably be annoyed too.

Sort of the same thing happens in the video game collecting hobby. I spend a lot of money hunting down rare, NTSC only RPG Playstation games, and then they get rereleased on newer consoles. But it does give younger gamers the chance to play them, so I am not complaining.

Sad to say part of being a collector is being materialistic. That goes for all hobbies. We care about our possessions..some more than others but we do care.  Some of us buy, sell and trade to get others  we want more it's pretty much what makes the hobby work...along with a love or interest in the subject matter.   The buying, selling and trading does sound a lot like the stock market you have to admit..so there is an investment, worth and well money connection to it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 04, 2014, 06:34:07 PM

I really don't think there's much money obsession. In fact, I doubt anyone on this forum is collecting dinosaurs for that reason!

I think it important to remember that collectibles have more value than pure monetary value, and reissue potentially impacts both. Rare figures are special figures and perhaps reissue undoes some of the magic.

I wouldn't say anyone here is buying for the potential money they can get later either.   You can see what re-issues did the JP toy collectors..or even the Star Wars collectors..it's usually a bad thing for any hobby.

As I said above when something is so easily obtained it seems to make less valuable..both in money and in care of it.   Speaking of JP, recall Malcolm's speech to John Hammond :  "  Dr. Ian Malcolm: If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now

[bangs on the table]

Dr. Ian Malcolm: you're selling it, you wanna sell it. Well...  "

You sort of have to read into it but a similar sentiment. It cheapens things. ;)

tyrantqueen

Quote"  Dr. Ian Malcolm: If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now

[bangs on the table]

I don't really understand, are you implying it takes discipline, knowledge and responsibility to own a resin statue? :-\

tyrantqueen

Oh, something else I forgot to mention. A really fun part of this hobby is hunting down bargains. I won an Invicta Troodon in a eBay lot for 50p once. It brought a smile to my face because it was like finding a hidden treasure. So, looking at the toy, it brings back happy memories of that experience. Just because I didn't spend a hundred pounds on it doesn't mean I don't appreciate it or have nice memories attached to it. Just something I want to point out.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 04, 2014, 06:44:47 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 04, 2014, 06:34:07 PM

I wouldn't say anyone here is buying for the potential money they can get later either.   You can see what re-issues did the JP toy collectors..or even the Star Wars collectors..it's usually a bad thing for any hobby.

As I said above when something is so easily obtained it seems to make less valuable..both in money and in care of it.   Speaking of JP, recall Malcolm's speech to John Hammond :  "  Dr. Ian Malcolm: If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now

[bangs on the table]

You sort of have to read into it but a similar sentiment. It cheapens things. ;)

WWD ornithocheirus! If I was to create a flock of WWD Ornithocheirus on this forum you wouldn't have anything to say about it!

;D

Patrx

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 04, 2014, 06:31:40 PM

Ah, very true...but you wanted it and now you have it, does the effort and money it make any more special to you ? That's part of what rarity does.   With collectors it helps set bars.  If it doesn't mean anything to you why want it ?  You could have bought the new one and perhaps had it repainted as the old one for less. It would seem rarity does make pieces more interesting and desirable..it changes how you look at a piece.   Now  I'm not looking to upset just asking questions..I've asked my self the same ..often many times. Nostalgia drives me to spend more on rare pieces usually.

Honestly? Not really. I assumed a repaint would be more expensive, elsewise I'd have done that!
I see what you're saying, though - I guess it just doesn't work that way for me.

amargasaurus cazaui

I used to agonize over wether to remove the hang tags from my dinosaur figures and so forth. Should I remove this one from the box or keep it sealed to preserve the value? One day I made a similar comment in front of my mother and she made a comment that was very telling for me. She said....." You will never sell those dinosaurs anyways. It does not really matter what they are worth or if they arent worth alot. They will never be sold till you are gone, and it wont matter to you then anyways."
In thinking about it, I realized she is quite correct. It just does not matter to me because I will never get rid of them. I collect what I like and if it appreciates in value  so much the better. Once I get my hands on them the dinosaurs I have are worthless, or perhaps priceless, depending how you view it...
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: