You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Monsters, retro dinosaurs and Related model kits

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, February 16, 2014, 11:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

A thread for your monsters, almost dinosaurs, godzilla and king Kong and other related models. I might even post some of my more retro dinosaur kits here, so feel free.

Here are two models I have owned since I was about five years old. Both are original Aurora Glow_in the Dark models. I asked Martin Garratt to restore, rebuild and repaint the two. The creature model was sent in several pices, poorly built and slathered with style of paint work common to five year olds. The godzilla was in better shape but badly painted and some of the parts were not assembled well.

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Derek.McManus

Classic models with nice paint jobs haven't seen any of those since I was a child.

Doug Watson

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 16, 2014, 11:42:18 AM
A thread for your monsters, almost dinosaurs, godzilla and king Kong and other related models. I might even post some of my more retro dinosaur kits here, so feel free.
Here are two models I have owned since I was about five years old. Both are original Aurora Glow_in the Dark models. I asked Martin Garratt to restore, rebuild and repaint the two. The creature model was sent in several pices, poorly built and slathered with style of paint work common to five year olds. The godzilla was in better shape but badly painted and some of the parts were not assembled well.

I love the CFTBL, Martin did a great job, congratulations. I hate to say it but I had all of these when they first started coming out in 1961 (under $2 a piece) but blew them all up when girls came along. Now I have reacquired them all on eBay at a greater cost and I have stripped them all down and they are ready for rebuilds if I could only get the time. If I wait too long and I get too old my paint jobs may not be any better than they were when I was 6. I have the creature, frankenstein, wolfman, dracula, the mummy, the hunchback, the phantom, King Kong and Mr Hyde. I never had Godzilla since I could never take the original man in a baggy rubber suit seriously.

docronnie

Just got this.  It is made by Kaiyodo.  Is it a kaiju?  Looks like a marine monster.

I also have the other variant color, sealed.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

ProSauropod

This is a Yokai, a Japanese ghost/monster:  http://yokai.com/amikiri/   I would not say a kaiju, but pretty darn cool.

Paleogene Pals

Tyto_Theropod

Agreed. Yokai can be pretty awesome. (Although there are also some that are just downright weird...)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

docronnie

Quote from: ProSauropod on March 08, 2015, 12:50:19 PM
This is a Yokai, a Japanese ghost/monster:  http://yokai.com/amikiri/   I would not say a kaiju, but pretty darn cool.

Wow! Thanks a lot Prosauropod! :D

Arul

CityRaptor

Well, they are monsters...and some of them are "almost dinosaurs". So I guess it fits.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

amargasaurus cazaui

Not sure I am familiar with them, but the idea for the thread is basically anything that is old, retro, dinosaur, monster or that type of thing related. If Cityraptor says they fit, thats good enough for me................
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

CityRaptor

Personally I also never played Monster Hunter, but some of the Monsters are clearly based on Dinosaurs.

But since this thread about monsters in general, they should fit anyways.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

JoeCamaro

This is my retro Tyrannosaurus Rex made by Imperial back in 1985.

docronnie

I just saw and handled one yesterday, JoeCamaro.  It belonged to my friend.  We arranged his dinosaur collection for storage.

amargasaurus cazaui

Had always meant to add this model to this thread and never gotten it done....Began as an idea I had using an old Airfix model I had Martin paint....I decided to see if we could create a Turok diorama, despite there being precious little for figures or models of Turok availible. I scouted out a few plastic indians and a plastic canoe and explained what I was going for to Martin..voila..the rest is all him. He took my idea and made it reality

Blade-of-the-Moon

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.