News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's new kits

Started by tyrantqueen, February 28, 2014, 11:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

David Silva has two new kits in the works. Taken from his Facebook page (the only reason I browse Failbook is to keep an eye on my fave artists :P)

1/12 Deinonychus

New Acrocanthosaurus

Not too keen on the Acro, but the Deinonychus is nice :)

Any thoughts?

copper

i like how the acro looks, might have to add this to my list : )

Blade-of-the-Moon

The Deinonych is well sculpted, but the pose is weird...my guess is because it was from his dragon vd raptors piece originally ?

I liked David's original Acro and always meant to get one.  Not sure about this one yet...looks good mind you..but a bit average in terms of pose.

tyrantqueen

I prefer his original Acro, the pose is more dynamic and interesting.

caspakian

I like the pose of the new acro better!

Yutyrannus

Quote from: caspakian on March 02, 2014, 01:10:14 AM
So do I. It's more natural and realistic.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Yutyrannus on March 02, 2014, 01:21:04 AM
And how would you know that?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 02, 2014, 01:26:44 AM
What do you mean "how would I know that", it is more natural and realistic. Animals spend most of their time either sleeping or calmly walking around. That's why this pose is better, the old one is too unnatural.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Yutyrannus on March 02, 2014, 01:34:08 AM
What do you mean "how would I know that", it is more natural and realistic. Animals spend most of their time either sleeping or calmly walking around. That's why this pose is better, the old one is too unnatural.

Yeah, obviously this

is SO much more natural and realistic than this

Must be a photoshop or something  ::)

Just because it doesn't happen as often, doesn't mean it doesn't exist at all. Sculptors will choose a showy, extravagant pose because it sells better. Point is, they're both perfectly natural and "realistic". Resting and sleeping is as much a part of animal life as moving about and hunting. The latter just happens to be depicted more because it looks cool. Therefore, your use of the word "unnatural" is meaningless.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Exactly. Similar example of an eagle at rest or attacking claws out.  The dynamic or " action " pose I think has more appeal but I can see the desire of something more restive. It's an individual thing for each us I think.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 02, 2014, 01:56:57 AM
Exactly. Similar example of an eagle at rest or attacking claws out.  The dynamic or " action " pose I think has more appeal but I can see the desire of something more restive. It's an individual thing for each us I think.
Yep. The open mouth, roaring pose is certainly overdone...but you can't deny it looks cool :)

Yutyrannus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 02, 2014, 01:38:24 AM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on March 02, 2014, 01:34:08 AM

Yeah, obviously this

is SO much more natural and realistic than this

Must be a photoshop or something  ::)

Just because it doesn't happen as often, doesn't mean it doesn't exist at all. Sculptors will choose a showy, extravagant pose because it sells better. Point is, they're both perfectly natural and "realistic". Resting and sleeping is as much a part of animal life as moving about and hunting. The latter just happens to be depicted more because it looks cool. Therefore, your use of the word "unnatural" is meaningless.
True, I just think it looks less natural because that is not how they spend most of their lives. Does that make sense? Maybe I worded it wrong, I just put it the best way I could. Not to mention I think attacking poses are way overdone. I want to see more neutral poses more often.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Both poses are natural, but your looking for something showing more how it lived on a day to day basis. The thing is those type of representations don't sell well. I would love to have a large kit of a resting dinosaur..but it would be easier to get someone like Martin to customize an existing kit than hope for something that the general builder wouldn't prefer. We've had the same issue talking about dinosaur figures before.  Collectors would really go for it, but the general masses want something cool and impressive. So we get attacking, roaring poses.

I actually like the pose itself of the first one showing an active animal there is also a feeling of.. art ? more to it I think for me. But both are entirely natural poses.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 02, 2014, 02:10:39 AM
Both poses are natural, but your looking for something showing more how it lived on a day to day basis. The thing is those type of representations don't sell well. I would love to have a large kit of a resting dinosaur..but it would be easier to get someone like Martin to customize an existing kit than hope for something that the general builder wouldn't prefer. We've had the same issue talking about dinosaur figures before.  Collectors would really go for it, but the general masses want something cool and impressive. So we get attacking, roaring poses.

I actually like the pose itself of the first one showing an active animal there is also a feeling of.. art ? more to it I think for me. But both are entirely natural poses.
Exactly. That's more what I meant. Sorry if I worded it weirdly.

Simon

Yutyrannus, I agree with you. 

I didn't get David's first Acrocanthosaurus precisely because it looks unnatural to me - especially the degree to which the neck was twisted backwards.

This sculpt however, is absolutely "genius" so to speak.  Perfect.  I like my dinos sculpted walking forward without too much body twisting.

Simon

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Simon on March 02, 2014, 02:37:35 AM
Yutyrannus, I agree with you. 

I didn't get David's first Acrocanthosaurus precisely because it looks unnatural to me - especially the degree to which the neck was twisted backwards.

This sculpt however, is absolutely "genius" so to speak.  Perfect.  I like my dinos sculpted walking forward without too much body twisting.
Thank you :).

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Yutyrannus on March 02, 2014, 02:25:45 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 02, 2014, 02:10:39 AM

Exactly. That's more what I meant. Sorry if I worded it weirdly.

Not a problem at all, just clarifying.  I actually have one big 1:15 walking Acro already so that might be why I'd prefer the other pose as well.

postsaurischian

I like both of David Silva's Acrocanthosaurus sculpts, they're awesome :)!

It should be mentioned that the first version was designed for a diorama.
There's an accompanying Sauropelta, whose base exactly fits in with the Acrocantho's. So the pose makes perfect sense to me.

tyrantqueen

Looking at this photo, you can see a "dip" to suggest to where the cloaca is supposed to be. This makes me think of Papo's Dilopho, and perhaps it was a bungled attempt on their part to do the same thing (coincidentally of course), but they put it in the wrong place (in between the legs, instead of behind)?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: