News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Plesiosaurs: the long-necked variety

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 12:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

I would be happy to! I've put a lot of time into it, so I might as well share it with other avid collectors. I'll let you know once I'm through with the updated list. As for Nessies, I think I'm not as discriminating in my collections as some. I even have a couple Pokemon figures in there (Lapras). My Acrocanthosaurus collection is a prime example. Basically any theropod with a sailfin that isn't a Spinosaurus gets in. Got a couple more figures for that collection coming in this week, so I'll post it in the near future.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

DinoToyForum

Imported from different thread:

Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 05, 2016, 10:45:48 AM
Quote from: BlueKrono on October 05, 2016, 10:35:48 AM
Bahaha! You've got the big one too. I suppose the one on his head is even smaller than the purple one, isn't it, the baby from the mother and baby pair? I don't believe I've ever seen the black and yellow speckled one furthest down the neck before though.

Yes, you're right about the baby from the UHA mother and baby pair. So, it is sort of cheating. ;)

The small spotted one is by Japanese company Epoch.

And the other one was excavated from the heart of a bouncy ball!

BlueKrono

Ah, that makes sense. As I said, I'm working my way through the alphabet, and I just started on the "E"s.  ;)
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

DinoToyForum

Quote from: BlueKrono on October 05, 2016, 10:39:26 AM
I would be happy to! I've put a lot of time into it, so I might as well share it with other avid collectors. I'll let you know once I'm through with the updated list. As for Nessies, I think I'm not as discriminating in my collections as some. I even have a couple Pokemon figures in there (Lapras). My Acrocanthosaurus collection is a prime example. Basically any theropod with a sailfin that isn't a Spinosaurus gets in. Got a couple more figures for that collection coming in this week, so I'll post it in the near future.

Great, looking forward to the plesiosaur checklist.

DinoToyForum

Oh, by the way, I picked up the big brown plesiosaur in the Paleozoological Museum of China on a recent trip to Beijing. It was too big to fit in my pack, so the neck and head ended up protruding from my bag. Plesiosaur heads and necks can be unfortunately phallic. So, it was quite understandable that - upon seeing this hunk of plastic hanging out of a 36-year-old man's luggage - some of my fellow travellers were inclined to raise an eyebrow.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 05, 2016, 11:12:21 AM
Oh, by the way, I picked up the big brown plesiosaur in the Paleozoological Museum of China on a recent trip to Beijing. It was too big to fit in my pack, so the neck and head ended up protruding from my bag. Plesiosaur heads and necks can be unfortunately phallic. So, it was quite understandable that - upon seeing this hunk of plastic hanging out of a 36-year-old man's luggage - some of my fellow travellers were inclined to raise an eyebrow.

I demand compromising pictures! :D

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Lanthanotus on October 05, 2016, 12:07:31 PM

I demand compromising pictures! :D

No. Way.  :))

Libraraptor

;D ;D

BlueKrono

I'm actually quite interested in where people come by their stuff, especially if it's not online. I got my big brownie from the gift shop of one of those traveling animatronic dinosaur shows. There was only one left, and when I laid eyes on it some little kid was looking over it. He decided on something else and put it back, at which point BlueKrono swept in and snapped it up!

Dilopho

Quote from: BlueKrono on October 11, 2016, 05:13:43 AM
I'm actually quite interested in where people come by their stuff, especially if it's not online.
I talk about where I get my stuff in my collection thread, if you're interested!

Quote from: BlueKrono on October 11, 2016, 05:13:43 AM
I got my big brownie from the gift shop of one of those traveling animatronic dinosaur shows. There was only one left, and when I laid eyes on it some little kid was looking over it. He decided on something else and put it back, at which point BlueKrono swept in and snapped it up!
I can see it now...
"The Marxus Collecticus....finds its prey, a small plesiosaur. The Marxus is an opportunistic feeder, and it has taken interest in the small marine reptile. However, the plesiosaur has already been found by a Puer Venerandum, which means "Cute Kid", a name that fits well. Using it's power of cuteness, the Marxus holds back. To push a Puer away from their prey will mean certain death for the Marxus's dignity.
Finally, the Puer decides that the plesiosaur is too big for its taste and moves on. The Marxus strikes, snapping it up and carrying it off, satisfied."

BlueKrono

DinoToyForum

Bluekrono, I've circled the ones that I'm curious about. Do you have any information on these?

The green one at the top right came under discussion in the identification thread recently because I found one on Ebay. Does it have any markings?

Also, that long row near the front that runs through from left to right - pink, purple, blue, green, orange stripe, yellow, red, grey - are they all colour variants of the same basic sculpt? Or are the ones on the left different sculpts from the ones on the right?

Looking forward to that checklist!

Daspletotyrannus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 13, 2016, 05:17:54 PM
Bluekrono, I've circled the ones that I'm curious about. Do you have any information on these?

The green one at the top right came under discussion in the identification thread recently because I found one on Ebay. Does it have any markings?

Also, that long row near the front that runs through from left to right - pink, purple, blue, green, orange stripe, yellow, red, grey - are they all colour variants of the same basic sculpt? Or are the ones on the left different sculpts from the ones on the right?

Looking forward to that checklist!

The two you circled in the front  (green and blue ) are Safari Ltd cryptozoology toob Nessie. I know the green one is, but I'm guessing the blue one a repaint.

DinoToyForum

Ah, thanks! That makes sense. I tend not to collect Nessie figures so I overlooked it. I make exceptions for Nessie toys that are obviously meant to represent a plesiosaur. Figures with horns on the head are out. So are figures wearing tartan caps! ;) But this Safari figure seems to have none of those attributes. So, I may chase it up...

BlueKrono

Daspeltotyrannus: You're right on it being a repaint of Safari's Nessie. The body is okay, but the tail is too long for a plesiosaur,and the face is kind of squished like a bulldog, with a piggy nose. It still holds charm to plesiophiles like me.

dinotoyforum: Let me see what I can pull up for you.

On these two they are indeed two different sculpts. Of the two on the left, the bottom (green) one is the original. It was first released in 1990 as a cereal prize for the cereal Wheetos/ Weetos. They also have a tylosaurus (as seen in my tylosaurs collection). Despite being over 2 decades old they are pretty common, though not always listed by brand. The neon colored one with the stripes are a later recast; some cheap bin dinos. The ones on the right are also cheap bin dinos. I don't know offhand what the brand is, but I see them all the time as prizes in arcades, in toy eggs, in cheap dino sets at Walmart, on eBay, etc. The one on top seems to be the most common - grey back with a sky blue belly.

These are erasers. The plucky chaps on the left are listed in DeMarco's Dinosauriana as "Showa-era Japan, unknown year". He calls them the "Fear Liu egg consumption rubber" series, whatever that means. They also included a tylosaur (also seen in my tylosaur collection) and a very cool Icarosaurus (but I haven't posted my flying lizards collection on DTF. Appropriate place?). I got mine on eBay pretty cheap. The ones on the right aren't listed in Dinosauriana, but they don't strike me as rare or valuable. Probably American. Again, set comprised of many species (the Ouranosaurs can be seen in that collection of mine).

I was surprised you were unfamiliar with the Kaiyodo Dinoland Plesiosaurus. This 1/100 scale model was released in 1991. I actually mistook it for the more valuable Kaiyodo Dinoland Natural Historic Collection 1/20 scale Elasmosaurus (a monstrous sculpt measuring 29 inches long, released in 1996 or the 1995 1/20 scale resin Plesiosaurus at 13 inches), and paid for it accordingly!  :( Just goes to show you even an expert can make a mistake. The one on the lower right is the Medicom plesiosaurus. Looks like sbell had one on the old DTF: http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/552

The one on the lower left is a mystery to me. It's very plain, with the eyes as the only real details. The underside has a large hole in the middle. To the left is a circular mold mark, and to the right is some very small writing that reads "Rd (C) 1993 RITVIK". To the right of that, on the tail, is a circular symbol with some impossibly small writing in it that was practically indistinguishable (in bubble letters no less). I think I can make out about half of it, which says, "MEGA-". Hope this helps!

DinoToyForum

Halichoeres

Quote from: BlueKrono on October 18, 2016, 06:45:15 AM

The one on the lower left is a mystery to me. It's very plain, with the eyes as the only real details. The underside has a large hole in the middle. To the left is a circular mold mark, and to the right is some very small writing that reads "Rd (C) 1993 RITVIK". To the right of that, on the tail, is a circular symbol with some impossibly small writing in it that was practically indistinguishable (in bubble letters no less). I think I can make out about half of it, which says, "MEGA-". Hope this helps!

Is this one maybe a pencil topper?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Archinto

Ritvik Mega Bloks. Thats is a dinosaur from a lego type building set By mega bloks. Not sure what set it came with but it looks like all the dinosaur sets came with a buildable dino an environment and a mini dino. They are kinda hard to find

322297630760. Ebay item number to look up. Its a ritvik set with spare parts. Looks like the plesio there came with a stegosaurua kit based off the ritvik pieces in this lot.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Archinto on October 18, 2016, 08:40:24 PM
Ritvik Mega Bloks. Thats is a dinosaur from a lego type building set By mega bloks. Not sure what set it came with but it looks like all the dinosaur sets came with a buildable dino an environment and a mini dino. They are kinda hard to find

322297630760. Ebay item number to look up. Its a ritvik set with spare parts. Looks like the plesio there came with a stegosaurua kit based off the ritvik pieces in this lot.

Bingo! Thanks Archinto.

Archinto

Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 18, 2016, 08:48:25 PM
Quote from: Archinto on October 18, 2016, 08:40:24 PM

Bingo! Thanks Archinto.
No problem! I love helping identify oddball figures. I wish i had some ritvik sets. I might have to take some of those instructionsand build em outta lego instead. The brach set is awesome!
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: