News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New Look of Utahraptor

Started by Yutyrannus, March 22, 2014, 03:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

Not much to go off of, but Scott Hartman released this image today:
http://phylopic.org/image/b5ba185e-61ad-40fd-a494-d4ab4e5ae1f8/

It is quite a bit weirder than previously thought.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Yutyrannus on March 22, 2014, 03:13:57 AM
Not much to go off of, but Scott Hartman released this image today:
http://phylopic.org/image/b5ba185e-61ad-40fd-a494-d4ab4e5ae1f8/

It is quite a bit weirder than previously thought.

Scott did say he was working on a new updated version.  It better be more accurate before I can make a new one. lol

Iguanocolossus

That's right! They found some more next to some Hippodraco! I can't wait to see accurate reconstructions based on those fossils.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Patrx

Whoah! That's a bit drastic. The jaw looks cool. I'll be interested to see more new reconstructions based off this data.

Dan

Interesting. Maybe this makes the stocky little CollectA Utahraptor a bit more accurate.

Balaur

Wow! This is what I've been waiting for for a long time! That is really cool!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Yeah it has a bit of a Masiakasaurus curve to the jaw..very interesting !

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Patrx on March 28, 2014, 05:23:49 PM
Whoah! That's a bit drastic. The jaw looks cool. I'll be interested to see more new reconstructions based off this data.

so Utahraptor got bulked up? the head kinda looks like dromeosaurus.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Yutyrannus

I just found some very cool new information and a new picture.

Here is the picture by Julius T. Csotonyi:

And the very cool new information that came with it:
"This image endeavors to restore some of the events leading to the creation of a large block of highly fossiliferous sandstone (containing Utahraptor over a range of ontogenetic stages and Hippodraco) from the Cretaceous in what is now Utah."

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Yutyrannus

Indeed it is, but check the quote below it, that's even cooler ;D.

Balaur

Wait. Am I reading that right? So, embryoes?

Yutyrannus

Patrx

Wait, what's up with those wings? Some of the raptors don't have their primary feathers! Does this perhaps mean that the new findings show the feathers the way they're depicted here?
Quote from: Balaur on April 26, 2014, 07:51:03 PM
Not necessarily embryos - I think the new findings include fossils of specimens in varying stages of growth - juveniles, adults, subadults, that sort of thing.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Patrx on April 26, 2014, 08:06:37 PM
Wait, what's up with those wings? Some of the raptors don't have their primary feathers! Does this perhaps mean that the new findings show the feathers the way they're depicted here?
I don't know about that.

Yutyrannus

Not necessarily embryos - I think the new findings include fossils of specimens in varying stages of growth - juveniles, adults, subadults, that sort of thing.
Yes, that's what its supposed to mean I think.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Yutyrannus on April 26, 2014, 08:10:12 PM
Yes, that's what its supposed to mean I think. The picture implies that as well.

SpittersForEver

HD-man

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 29, 2014, 12:59:02 AMYeah it has a bit of a Masiakasaurus curve to the jaw..very interesting !

It reminds me more of a male salmon ( http://www.fishwatch.gov/seafood_profiles/species/salmon/imgs/galleries/sockeye_salmon/02.jpg ), which makes me think it's a sexually dimorphic feature. Hopefully, we have enough adult Utahraptor skulls to say for sure either way.

Quote from: Balaur on April 26, 2014, 07:51:03 PMWait. Am I reading that right? So, embryoes?

Who said anything about embryos? The quote reads, "over a range of ontogenetic stages". Based on what I've read elsewhere, that means "two adults, each 5 to 6 meters in length; three juveniles about the size of turkeys" & 1 baby ( http://westerndigs.org/dinosaur-death-trap-found-in-utah-may-contain-raptor-family-horse-dragons-cannibalized-baby/ ).
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: