News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Saurian Studios attempting to revive Tony McVey's Carnotaurus kit (pictures!)

Started by 0onarcissisto0, March 26, 2014, 03:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Quote from: s.foulkes on April 04, 2014, 04:24:40 AM
Im in for one. I think this one was 1/30th scale ? not 1/20th.
Someone mentioned it was 1/20. I could be wrong.

Paleogene Pals

Well, it would be nice to have some info on dimensions and scale. I remember looking at this kit back in the 90s and wanting it. I just couldn't shell out that kind of money back then in grad school.  :'(

0onarcissisto0

Hey everybody,

Great news!!! Excerpt of Dave's message to me:

"I am ready to move forward. It can be the first piece in the revived Saurian Studios. I have a few others, but they will not be ready until summer. I am applying feathers to some of the dinosaurs before re molding, to update the accuracy.
Thanks again,
- David"

Will keep you all posted!!

Jeb
If the sculptor has nothing but science his hands will have no art.

- DK -

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on April 04, 2014, 01:43:30 PM
Well, it would be nice to have some info on dimensions and scale. I remember looking at this kit back in the 90s and wanting it. I just couldn't shell out that kind of money back then in grad school.  :'(

I was thinking it was around 17" long..and after a bit of searching found this :

" 16" x 14" x 13" resin kit of the Cretaceous dinosaur,  Carnotaurus, with Sauropod carcass prey.

Requires assembly and painting.

$140.00 plus $10.00 S & H"

Page is here :  http://naturalhistory1.tripod.com/

Awesome news Jeb ! Yes please keep us updated.  After looking through all those old sites at the pics of the bronze finished version..I'm certain that's what I want to do should I get my own copy. :)

0onarcissisto0

Hahaha, I'm just glad we managed to get this thing re-issued. Took quite a bit of work! But well worth it. Glad I got to help Dave reboot his company as well! Finally got to give back in a more direct way to this little community instead of just buying people's work. We can never have enough paleoart!

Yeah, Blade, I have to admit that faux bronze finish is kick*ss. I'm very tempted in getting that version myself, but I enjoy the painting process/frustration too much to give in :P

- DK -

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: 0onarcissisto0 on April 04, 2014, 05:42:46 PM
Hahaha, I'm just glad we managed to get this thing re-issued. Took quite a bit of work! But well worth it. Glad I got to help Dave reboot his company as well! Finally got to give back in a more direct way to this little community instead of just buying people's work. We can never have enough paleoart!

Yeah, Blade, I have to admit that faux bronze finish is kick*ss. I'm very tempted in getting that version myself, but I enjoy the painting process/frustration too much to give in :P

I've always liked the bronze look of many pieces..but never could afford them..I think this would be something different as I already have the Sideshow Carno in full color.

Paleogene Pals

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 04, 2014, 03:57:36 PM

I was thinking it was around 17" long..and after a bit of searching found this :

" 16" x 14" x 13" resin kit of the Cretaceous dinosaur,  Carnotaurus, with Sauropod carcass prey.

16" for the Carnotaurus, at 1/20 scale, that would be about right.  Thanks Blade!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on April 05, 2014, 03:57:29 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 04, 2014, 03:57:36 PM

16" for the Carnotaurus, at 1/20 scale, that would be about right.  Thanks Blade!

No problem bud.  :)

dinoking

Hi, for those of you who are not familar with Saurian Studios fine line of sculptures and models, I thought I would share some pictures of articles and ads  taken from my old Prehistoric Times magazines . These are from the first appearence of Saurian Studies in Prehistoric Times issue#9 thru their last appearace in issue #34. Some of the models and sculptures listed under Saurian Studios are now available from the people who produced them such as Dan Larusso  owner of the Dinosaur Studio . One model of the Stymlicoch sculpted by Mike Jones is available from Dans Dinosaurs. Anohther old figure of Crylophosaurus (by Max Salas) is currently listed on Ebay for sale by the former owner of Link and Pin Hobbies who sold Max Salas figures after Saurian Studios closed shop. As you can see from the pictures that I have posted , many of the sculptures and figures are "large scale" and very expensive.
http://s328.photobucket.com/user/mlputtdino/library/Saurian%20Studios

tyrantqueen

Quote from: dinoking on April 07, 2014, 09:03:43 PM
Hi, for those of you who are not familar with Saurian Studios fine line of sculptures and models, I thought I would share some pictures of articles and ads  taken from my old Prehistoric Times magazines . These are from the first appearence of Saurian Studies in Prehistoric Times issue#9 thru their last appearace in issue #34. Some of the models and sculptures listed under Saurian Studios are now available from the people who produced them such as Dan Larusso  owner of the Dinosaur Studio . One model of the Stymlicoch sculpted by Mike Jones is available from Dans Dinosaurs. Anohther old figure of Crylophosaurus (by Max Salas) is currently listed on Ebay for sale by the former owner of Link and Pin Hobbies who sold Max Salas figures after Saurian Studios closed shop. As you can see from the pictures that I have posted , many of the sculptures and figures are "large scale" and very expensive.
http://s328.photobucket.com/user/mlputtdino/library/Saurian%20Studios
That's a very helpful link, thanks :)

Patrx

I've been wondering - just how elaborate are the revisions planned to be? For example, I noticed that in the Archaeopteryx & Compsognathus diorama, the Compsognathus features only two manual digits. Is that something that could be updated?

tyrantqueen

If that particular kit happens to be re-released, I'm sure there is a strong chance of the sculpt being updated. The artist is probably open to suggestions as well.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Would love to get the Archeopteryx for the Park here..if  I could make it outdoor worthy.

caspakian

Dave Alden, the unbuilt McVey Carnotaurus and prey kit is now in Shane Foulkes' hands and he has some questions. Please get in touch with Shane. Thanks...Dave Crider

0onarcissisto0

I'm not sure Dave Alden has an account here, but I will let him know to contact Shane.

- DK -

caspakian

I regret to inform all those who were interested in reviving this kit that it will not go back into production. It could not be confirmed who owns the rights to this sculpt and the last thing we want to do is something unethical.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Well that's certainly disappointing.  Hopefully there is a chance it could be worked out later ?

caspakian

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 12, 2014, 04:05:27 PM
Well that's certainly disappointing.  Hopefully there is a chance it could be worked out later ?

I wouldn't count on it.

Dan

The artist has informed me that he has more new pieces planned for the future, so I think we still have a great deal to look forward to.

Paleogene Pals

Well dern! Now I really want it. Sniff, sniff, ain't gonna happen huh?  :'(

Well, time for a quest!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: