News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Saurian Studios attempting to revive Tony McVey's Carnotaurus kit (pictures!)

Started by 0onarcissisto0, March 26, 2014, 03:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0onarcissisto0

Hey all,

I was speaking with a few members on theclubhouse1.net about trying to LEGALLY revive Tony McVey's Carnotaurus kit (the one with the Carnotaurus feasting on a dead sauropod). We managed to find someone who has an unbuilt kit and he'd be willing to lend it for mold making, which the owner of Saurian Studios, Dave, had expressed an interest in doing. However, seeing as that will cost quite a bit of money, they need to get several interested people before even considering it. The original price for the kit was 140 USD + shipping. I'm assuming the price wouldn't be that far off although it hasn't been confirmed yet.

So far, the following members have shown interest:

1- 0onarcissisto0
2- Blade-of-the-Moon
3- Dan (interested in carrying kit in his store)
4- Ikessauro
5- Paleogene Pals
6- s. foulkes
7-
8-
9-
10-

This has always been a grail kit for me so if there's a chance of it being casted again, I'm all in!

If the sculptor has nothing but science his hands will have no art.

- DK -

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: 0onarcissisto0 on March 26, 2014, 03:33:15 AM
Hey all,

I was speaking with a few members on theclubhouse1.net about trying to revive Tony McVey's Carnotaurus kit (the one with the Carnotaurus feasting on a dead sauropod). We managed to find someone who has an unbuilt kit and he'd be willing to lend it for mold making. However, seeing as that will cost quite a bit of money, they need to get several interested people before even considering it. The original price for the kit was 140 USD + shipping. I'm assuming the price wouldn't be that far off although it hasn't been confirmed yet.

So would there be any takers here? It has always been a grail kit for me so if there's a chance of it being casted again, I'm all in!

Jeb

Lot's of memories of seeing that kit in PT but never being able to afford it then and I can't find one now. So yeah I'm in. :)

tyrantqueen

I'm not really interested in this particular kit, but it's good to hear Saurian Studios are planning a comeback.

DinoToyForum

This thread has just been brought to my attention and I should step to state that making copies of other artists work for resale in this manner is unethical, and probably illegal. The DTF doesn't endorse it and for this reason I'm locking the thread.  Thanks for your understanding. C:-)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Based on updated news posted by TQ in another thread and quoted here :

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 31, 2014, 05:38:19 PM

Here's what was written on the Clubhouse forum:

QuoteSome of you are old enough to remember Saurian Studios from the 1990s. If I am not mistaken, they produced some of the most iconic and best dinosaur resin kits in their day.

Well, I was chatting with the owner of Saurian Studios on an unrelated matter, when he dropped the following news on me - he is planning a comeback.

Here is the relevant portion of his email elaborating on the news:

I have told Mike Fredericks from Prehistoric Times of my plans, so it is only a matter of how much time it takes me to get these done and remolded. I recently retreived some of my old Saurian pieces and then people talked me into resurrecting Saurian Studios. I will start with a few kits and see how things go. Hopefully, if they sell well enough, I will be able to keep producing new kits with the revenue from the first ones.

- Dave

If anyone has spent any amount of time on the Clubhouse forum, they would know they have a very strict policy against recasts. If the kit was being produced without permission, it would have been dealt with very swiftly.

We are re-opening this thread as it seems there is permission from the owner of the rights to the kit to have it re-cast and help his business, Saurian Studios in coming back once again.

If anyone has any further info on this kit's progress or other Saurian Studios pieces feel free to post it here.

0onarcissisto0

Hey guys,

Glad this has been re-opened. I didn't get a chance to clarify that Dave Alden, the owner of Saurian Studios (and the rights to this Carnotaurus kit) had shown interest in reviving this kit. Otherwise, I would never have suggested recasting it. Just by luck, we found someone on the Clubhouse forum (turoksos) who owns an unbuilt copy and he generously offered to lend his for LEGAL recasting.

So far on the Clubhouse, 3 people want in, and in this forum, 2 have showed interest. I'm thinking we'll need at least 10 takers before Dave would consider it. So for those interested, please let yourselves be known so that we might get a chance to own this fantastic masterpiece!! :D

Jeb

- DK -

amargasaurus cazaui

Perhaps if you were to show a few pictures of the kit either build up or in the rough so those of us not familiar might have some concept what the model is and isnt?This might stir a bit more interest...just a thought
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

0onarcissisto0

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 03, 2014, 03:05:50 AM
Perhaps if you were to show a few pictures of the kit either build up or in the rough so those of us not familiar might have some concept what the model is and isnt?This might stir a bit more interest...just a thought

Exactly what I was doing when you posted!

- DK -

Dan

This is great news for paleo-fans. I have the highest confidence in the quality of this sculpt, having seen it many times, and I will be happy to lend my support to make this happen. Please feel free to get in touch with me if you'd like to get started.

tyrantqueen

If Saurian Studios is coming back, I would assume that they're going to be reviving more than this one sculpt for their line? It makes me wonder what other goodies could be available in future. I was not around in the garage kit hobby when SS was releasing kits, so I don't know what their kits were like. The only other sculpt of theirs that I'm aware of is their 1/12 Baryonyx. Would someone care to enlighten me? What were their kits like?

tyrantqueen

Actually, in answer to my own question, I found this info on the Clubhouse forum:

Quote"..am in process of updating some of the kits I sold in the 90's to have feathers. I plan to have Tom Dickens Nanotyrannus diorama and Jerry Finney's Compsognathus as the first two kits from the reboot of Saurian Studios."

He also said he will be working on some new kits...

Credit goes to Bucketfoot Al on the Clubhouse for posting this info.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I've always liked the bronze version of this kit..so maybe a faux bronze paint would really suit me. I think it shows of the detail amazingly well.

I recall a simply HUGE Acrocanthosaurus and Allosaurus being made...I believe Slash owned copies of them. They were pretty awesome too..I'll look for pics.

Patrx

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 03, 2014, 03:57:10 AM
Quote"..am in process of updating some of the kits I sold in the 90's to have feathers. I plan to have Tom Dickens Nanotyrannus diorama and Jerry Finney's Compsognathus as the first two kits from the reboot of Saurian Studios."

Well, now I'm intrigued!

Ikessauro

Depending on the price I'd be interested in this Carnotaurus kit.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Ikessauro on April 03, 2014, 05:30:33 PM
The original was supposedly 140 USD plus shipping. This would most likely cost the same, but perhaps a little more.

Ikessauro

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 03, 2014, 06:13:02 PM
Quote from: Ikessauro on April 03, 2014, 05:30:33 PM
The original was supposedly 140 USD plus shipping. This would most likely cost the same, but perhaps a little more.

That's reasonable for a kit I guess.

Paleogene Pals

What scale is it? I read a review of this kit once but had forgotten the scale. I really shouldn't do this as I have spent far too much on kits lately, far too much!  ::) However, if it is in the right scale and is legal (not a rip-off recast), I'm in too.

tyrantqueen

Paleogene Pals

If it is 1/20 scale, then I am very interested and definitely count me in.

s.foulkes

Bringing back the world of Dinosaurs one sculpt at a time!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: