News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinoland Brachiosaurus

Started by DinoLord, March 30, 2014, 12:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoLord

Anyone have an idea as to where to get one or what one would be worth?

tyrantqueen

Maybe eBay or Jauce, but I haven't seen one yet. Price would be very expensive, three or four hundred dollars at a conservative estimate, but considering its rarity and size, most likely a lot more. A while back, the Kaiyodo 1/35 Barosaurus went for over a thousand dollars.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Are you talking model kit, display model, ect.. ? there were a couple variations but all are fairly expensive. It doesn't turn up very often at all .

DinoLord

I'm referring to the big 1/20 one from the Dinoland line. Expense I can deal with (to a degree); it's availability that seems to be the issue.

I tried looking through Jauce but it seems that searching dinosaur names doesn't work. How do you guys use the site?

tyrantqueen

I use google translate to search for dinosaur names.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoLord on March 30, 2014, 02:08:49 AM
I'm referring to the big 1/20 one from the Dinoland line. Expense I can deal with (to a degree); it's availability that seems to be the issue.

I tried looking through Jauce but it seems that searching dinosaur names doesn't work. How do you guys use the site?

Oh I know the one you mean..I have one myself. 

I used to use translation services to hunt for certain anime show items. I would have figured dinosaur names stayed the same..but if not like TQ said just type the name into a translator and see what you get.

CityRaptor

They should stay the name. If a translater does not work properly for them, one can still use wikipedia.
Just search for the Dinosaur in question on a Wikipedia with western names:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachiosaurus
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachiosaurus

Then click in the language bar on 日本語

Et voila:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%96%E3%83%A9%E3%82%AD%E3%82%AA%E3%82%B5%E3%82%A6%E3%83%AB%E3%82%B9

ブラキオサウルス
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

postsaurischian

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 30, 2014, 12:56:54 AM
Are you talking model kit, display model, ect.. ? there were a couple variations but all are fairly expensive. It doesn't turn up very often at all .

As far as I know there's only one Dinoland Brachiosaurus.
If you have any sources of the variations you're talking about, please show them!

Paleogene Pals

I remember a short-necked version.  ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: postsaurischian on March 30, 2014, 08:25:33 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 30, 2014, 12:56:54 AM

As far as I know there's only one Dinoland Brachiosaurus.
If you have any sources of the variations you're talking about, please show them!

It's the same model, but there was a vinyl model version( the one I own and had painted/built ), a display model ( built/painted from the factory ) and I think there might have been a resin version ?

tyrantqueen

QuoteIt's the same model, but there was a vinyl model version( the one I own and had painted/built ), a display model ( built/painted from the factory ) and I think there might have been a resin version ?

I don't care what version it is- I'd take any one :'(

I would love for Kaiyodo to re-issue this model, like they did with their T.rex and Allosaurus.

postsaurischian

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 31, 2014, 01:09:45 PM
I would love for Kaiyodo to re-issue this model, like they did with their T.rex and Allosaurus.

Maybe they will :). I'm pretty sure there will come more.
But, what will it be?

amargasaurus cazaui

Without seeing the model itself, I am not sure how well it has held up to time. I would assume it was after release of the model that Taylor released his paper defining the differences between the African species, Giraffatitan and the North American genus, Brachiosaurus Altithorax. The subsequent remounting of the Berlin specimen to reflect the more accurate posture, in both neck, back, arms and even the tail, might make this model somewhat more out of date, depending on its release date originally and if that information was considered in the sculpt. I believe the model was released far before the updated information and would therefore be somewhat inaccurate.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Here's a good photo of the Brachio, if anyone is curious:

The photo is from The Dinosaur Studio's facebook page, which has lots of excellent photos of the various kits Kaiyodo produced over the years.

I think the feet would need to be changed, as well as the position of the neck. And possibly the positioning of the nostrils? But Kaiyodo did do some resculpting with their Allosaurus and Tyrannosaurus rex, so I don't think that would be an issue. Even if they didn't, I'd still buy the model because its sculptural beauty makes up for it. My only concern would be that because of its massive size, costs could be an issue.

Btw, I always thought it was a Giraffatitan.

Simon

Dinolord - Check your PM.  I may be able to "hook you up" with someone who has one ....

amargasaurus cazaui

I am unsure which species of brachiosaur the artist was attempting to suggest, but it would seem likely it was sculpted prior to the seperation of the two dinosaurs into seperate species and prior to the paper released on the subject which resulted in the remounting of the berlin museum specimen. If the dinosaur is indeed Giraffatitan , some suspect areas might be the posture and angle of the neck, the back , the length of the tail, the feet, and most obviously and noticeable would be the posture, angle and pose of the arms. If it is Brachiosaurs althoriax the tail at least would be correct. To my eyes if it were re-released it would need some serous reworking almost bordering on a complete resculpt due to its inaccuracies. It is an awesome retro piece but has not held up that well to more recent thinking
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Simon

It was sculpted in the late 1980s or very early 1990s...

tyrantqueen

BotM, how did you get yours? I am also interested in obtaining this model.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 31, 2014, 04:38:16 PM
BotM, how did you get yours? I am also interested in obtaining this model.

Mine came from ebay as a kit. I used to search the Japanese sites years ago but it was rare even then.

Here's a couple pics of mine :

Size comparison :

Here's a pic Black Danter posted on the old forum of all the Display Models :

DinoLord

Looking at your pictures the Sideshow Apatosaurus seems kind of small compared to the Brachiosaurus, but aren't they both 1/20 scale?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: