You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Patrx's Collection (Fauna Prehistorica)

Started by Patrx, April 04, 2012, 12:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Hmm. Do you know when/where it came from? It is definitely a clupeomorph. If I had to guess I would say it's a Knightia but I would be more comfortable with that guess if I knew its geological context.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Patrx

Hmm. I'm reasonably sure it was collected in the midwestern United States. Maybe further west? But I don't have any clues about the time period/strata. In any case "clupeomorph" is certainly more descriptive than "fossil fish", so you're already helped considerably :)

Halichoeres

Glad to be of service! The most commonly available US fish fossils are from the Green River formation, so probabilistically speaking, your fish is a Knightia from somewhere in Wyoming and hails from the Eocene, ~50 mya. But that is only an educated guess in the absence of more information on its provenance.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Patrx

Excellent :) I shall henceforth refer to it as a fifty-million year-old Knightia (probably). Thanks!

Patrx

While going through this thread to update the image links (hopefully for the final time, as I'm now using a different site), I noticed a few items that I've had for a time that never made it to the list!

Tyrannosaurus rex skeleton
Kaiyodo

Tyrannosaurus rex skull
Kaiyodo

Tyrannosaurus rex
Kaiyodo

Tyrannosaurus rex (featherless)
Kaiyodo

Yutyrannus hulai
Kaiyodo

Pachydiscus
Kaiyodo

Ammonite fossils

Brachiopod fossil

Liopleurodon
Sculpted by Doug Watson for Safari, LTD

Triceratops tooth
Hell Creek formation

Patrx

I obtained many of these some time ago, but I've decided it's high time to update this thread!

Coelophysis bauri
Kaiyodo

Dimetrodon limbatus
Kaiyodo

Velociraptor mongoliensis skeleton
Kaiyodo

Tyrannosaurus rex (retro/featherless)
Kaiyodo

Triceratops horridus
Kaiyodo

Mosasaurus hoffmani
Kaiyodo

Pteranodon longiceps
Kaiyodo

Ankylosaurus magniventris
Sculpted by Forest Rogers for Safari, LTD

Tyrannosaurus rex (retro/featherless)
Sculpted by Gregory Wenzel for Battat Co.

Mirischia asymmetrica
Sculpted and painted by Ademar Pereira Do Nascimento

Halichoeres

My Pteranodon has the same slight kink at the tip of the bill! Is that a common problem? Maybe from living in a capsule for too long?

And my god, that Mirischia...

Patrx

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 09, 2015, 08:34:53 PM
My Pteranodon has the same slight kink at the tip of the bill! Is that a common problem? Maybe from living in a capsule for too long?

It may well be, the paint looks a little worn there as well. I think it's minor enough to pass as some kind of individual variation in beak shape, fortunately  :))

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 09, 2015, 08:34:53 PM
And my god, that Mirischia...

Right? It's sort of become the centerpiece of the shelf, not because it's displayed especially prominently, but simply because of its ability to draw the eye. I am very glad to have found such a naturalistic and understated piece; those are rare traits among dinosaur models!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Viking Spawn

Awesome collection!  I love all of your pics!

Dyscrasia

Very impressive collection, and I love the way you took the pics~!   ^-^

Patrx

Patrx

All of this years' new Safaris have arrived! Great lineup, if you ask me.

Carcharodontosaurus saharicus
("Jagged-toothed reptile")
The paint around the mouth on this one is a little untidy, and I may do a repaint in the future. Although the antorbital fenestrae are a little visible, the accuracy on this one seems great overall. It's very stable one two ordinary-sized feet, which is something of a miracle of engineering. Until this point, Carcharodontosaurus was not represented in my collection, in part because I find the animal itself comparatively dull - but I'm glad to add this rendition to the shelf  :)

Iguanodon
("Iguana tooth")
I like the purple stripes on this one. Overall, the paint looks far better than I anticipated, though I may still touch up the eye and the ridge along the back. Particularly impressive is the ever-so-strange hand anatomy, represented here quite accurately, and the muscular tail-base, a detail many dinosaur sculptors omit. Possibly my favorite of the new Safaris!

Plesiosuchus manselii
("Mansel's near-crocodile")
I'm quite glad to have a metriorhynchid to add to the collection, and this is also succeeds in terms of accuracy. The weird limb proportions, tail fluke, and powerful swimming muscles are all accounted for. However, this one suffers the same blobby paint application around the mouth area as the Carcharodontosaurus, so I may re-paint it as well.

Shunosaurus lii
("Li's Shu reptile")
A brilliant model of a unique animal. This is easily one of the coolest sauropod figures I've seen yet, and accurate to boot. Some find the expression on its face a little silly, but I think it's a neat way to illustrate some speculative soft-tissue anatomy. Also, I don't mind the small size at all. The scales are kinda big for this, er, scale, but what little is known of sauropod integument shows some pretty odd things - perhaps Shunosaurus had broad scales like these.

Masiakasaurus knopfleri
("Knopfler's vicious reptile")
Lots of neat details on this little creature, including the reduced fourth digit on each hand. Once again, this one manages by some wizardry to remain stable on two feet. The unique teeth could stand to be a little more defined, and perhaps that's the fault of the paint application. I do like the orange eyes. Overall, it's nice, but I would have preferred a fuzzy version  ;D

Halichoeres

It is a nice crop from Safari this year. Are ceratosaurians thought to have been fuzzy?

Patrx

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 13, 2016, 11:28:18 PM
Are ceratosaurians thought to have been fuzzy?

Nah, not necessarily. But, it's a theropod, and kind of basal, so I figure filaments make as much sense as a coat of scales (or, more accurately, reticulae)  ;D I personally prefer to see fuzzy dinosaurs whenever it's plausible.

Viking Spawn

Again, nice photos!!!  Masiakasaurus knopfleri is my favorite of the group. 

joossa

Great pictures. Been waiting for some of this quality to eyeball the new WS figs a little closer. Thanks!
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Patrx

I've gotten a lot of new things in and photographed lately, but I think I'll start with this marvel:

Deinonychus antirrhopus
Sculpted by Nicholas Fonseca, built and painted by Martin Garratt with inspiration from a painting by John Conway

Because these photos don't really give you a full idea of how big this piece is, here's a grainy cellphone picture with an apple for scale:

Gwangi

Oh wow, what a fantastic model. Too bad they didn't look like this in "Jurassic World".

laticauda

That looks fantastic.  I think this would have been scarier than what they made for JP. 

Looking back in noticed you have the Kaiyodo Mosasaurus, with the tongue wagging out. Just curious, do you like how it looks, I have been on the fence about this, just curious on your thoughts.   

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: