News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

"The Collection"

Started by therizinosaurus, May 11, 2014, 01:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

therizinosaurus

Greetings everyone!
If I were to ask everyone here what figure this is, I'm sure 99.99% would say Papo T-Rex:

Which was I thought, until I looked at the tag of another figure and saw this:

I also noticed that there were absolutely no markings anywhere on the figure, and their website has zero information about these guys.

So I looked around and also found these guys:

Also, on closer inspection, I noticed that some of the figures (Rex in particular) had very noticeable joints where different pieces had been glued together--in short, the quality was noticeable lower than the Papo and Schleich figures they so blatantly rip off.

Now, I know bootlegs are very common, but what startled me is that I found these figures at a VERY respectable museum that formerly only stocked Safari Ltd. and Dinostoreus. In fact, it's the museum where I bought 90% of my Carnegies growing up, so its unsettling to see them resorting to bootlegged figures.

Has anyone else seen these figures pop up anywhere?

tyrantqueen

At first I thought it might be a case of them putting their own labels on other companies' toys, but it does seem that these are actual bootlegs instead. As far as bootleg quality goes, they're pretty decent. But you can see it in the details of the head of the T.rex and the allosaurus, there is a loss of detail.

therizinosaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 11, 2014, 01:57:50 AM
At first I thought it might be a case of them putting their own labels on other companies' toys, but it does seem that these are actual bootlegs instead. As far as bootleg quality goes, they're pretty decent. But you can see it in the details of the head of the T.rex and the allosaurus, there is a loss of detail.

I thought the same thing, but I can confirm they're not nearly as high quality as Papos when you look at them up close. That said, for knockoffs they're quite "good" (in terms of quality, not ethics).

sauroid

shouldnt you somehow report that establishment to the right authorities about what they are doing?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

CityRaptor

Those could cause some further problems for future collectors aswell. Those who might not know the real deal, might be tricked with those bootlegs.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SpittersForEver

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.