News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Forum changes

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 02:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

I've upgraded the forum software for improved security. One side effect is that the image resize feature has been killed, so please be aware of this while I find a fix. Apologies for the inconvenience.

The new software also allows the forum to be GDPR compliant, which is a legal obligation. Hopefully when I activate this feature it isn't too obstructive - I personally hate having to click a dialogue box to view a page, but there's no way around it without breaking the law.

Ravonium

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 06, 2020, 05:11:01 PM
I've upgraded the forum software for improved security. One side effect is that the image resize feature has been killed, so please be aware of this while I find a fix. Apologies for the inconvenience.

The new software also allows the forum to be GDPR compliant, which is a legal obligation. Hopefully when I activate this feature it isn't too obstructive - I personally hate having to click a dialogue box to view a page, but there's no way around it without breaking the law.

Is this also why there's karma now?  ???

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Ravonium on January 06, 2020, 06:00:29 PM

Is this also why there's karma now?  ???

No, karma isn't new, I just don't use it as it's pointless and creates drama. I must've accidentally turned that on when playing with the new features, I have turned it off again. Thanks for the heads up.

DinoToyForum

The forum now has a privacy policy (link at bottom of every page) and it doesn't seem to throw a dialogue box up to use the site, which is good.

I also just updated the forum so that usernames are colour-coded across the whole site (e.g. in side bars).

Faelrin

I quite like the new color option for usernames.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

MLMjp

Quote from: Faelrin on January 09, 2020, 05:46:40 PM
They stick out quite a bit, it will take me a while to get used to.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Faelrin on January 09, 2020, 05:46:40 PM

The colour coded names have always been there in the list at the bottom of the main page, but now they are more widespread. Members have earned those colours! :)

postsaurischian

avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum: Will we get the image resize feature back?
I'm realizing that the forum's page design is a bit ruined without it.

(plus the ads within posts ::))    ..... you know that this means nothing against you O:-)

DinoToyForum

avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian

The image resize modification I use needs to be updated. I'm hoping they do so soon (see recent posts here: https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=240057.0), and as soon as they do I will install it.

The Google ads now insert themselves wherever they please, I agree it is annoying, and I will make them only appear in forum header, footer, and between posts, as they used to be. O:-)

postsaurischian

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 13, 2020, 03:10:08 PM
The image resize modification I use needs to be updated. I'm hoping they do so soon (see recent posts here: https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=240057.0), and as soon as they do I will install it.

:) That's good. Thank you!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 13, 2020, 03:10:08 PM
avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian

The Google ads now insert themselves wherever they please, I agree it is annoying, and I will make them only appear in forum header, footer, and between posts, as they used to be. O:-)

Ads should no longer appear within posts. But having turned off site-wide auto-ads, I've manually placed an individual auto-ad at the top and bottom of the page. They have to be auto-size ads because the site is now responsive for different devices, which wouldn't be a problem if they didn't automatically select gargantuan ads that fill half an ipad or monitor screen! Sometimes a white space is created but no ad appears, which is just as frustrating. Maybe there's a way I can limit the height of the ads so they are small squares on mobiles but wide shallow banners on larger screens.

Back in the old days I used to select a pixel width and height and be done with it. Now the ads want to make their own minds up!

DinoToyForum

I think I fixed the large ad issue mentioned above, but if anyone experiences any ads taking up a large portion of the screen, or overlapping the edges of the page (e.g. on mobiles) please let me know.

Takama

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 15, 2020, 12:25:29 AM
I think I fixed the large ad issue mentioned above, but if anyone experiences any ads taking up a large portion of the screen, or overlapping the edges of the page (e.g. on mobiles) please let me know.

I normaly use the Forum with my PC However, I ocasinally use a Android Phone to check out for updates.

On my Phone, I been getting an ad that SLIDES Down from the top of the screen, and it has a  little arrow at the bottom that you can tap to send it out of the way.

Im not sure if this is somthing you were trying to get rid of or not.  and i can provide a Screen Cap at my next conveinance if you like.   But i do find this thing to be quite anoying

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Takama on January 18, 2020, 08:02:44 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 15, 2020, 12:25:29 AM

I normaly use the Forum with my PC However, I ocasinally use a Android Phone to check out for updates.

On my Phone, I been getting an ad that SLIDES Down from the top of the screen, and it has a  little arrow at the bottom that you can tap to send it out of the way.

Im not sure if this is somthing you were trying to get rid of or not.  and i can provide a Screen Cap at my next conveinance if you like.   But i do find this thing to be quite anoying

No, those ads at the top of a mobile are different from the ones I removed. I don't know how those mobile ads work, it is as if Google adsense has a mind of its own - ads are becoming 'smart', in other words, annoying.

Sim

avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum, in the user info section, would it be possible to replace the total time logged in with something that used to be there which is the number of posts one has made?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on January 23, 2020, 11:08:44 PM
avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum, in the user info section, would it be possible to replace the total time logged in with something that used to be there which is the number of posts one has made?

Hi, I don't see an option to include that in the User Info side bar, but at least it is there on users' separate profile pages.

ITdactyl

2 questions:
1. Do we have control over what kind of ads appear?  By "kind" I mean the file types used - I'm used to seeing picture based banner type ads on forums.

I'm not worried about sensitive ad content (I know ads are targetted and based on browsing history).  I was just surprised to get a timed pop up (You have to leave it on the screen for the duration of the timer - closing it will Open another tab containing the product) and a video pop up.  I'm also wondering if anyone else has experienced this.  I am inclined to think this has more to do with regional ads though, and there's nothing in the forum controls that can prevent them.

2. I read above that the image resize feature is currently "dead". I meant to ask about that because the frog and crow pictures I shared recently seem to be stretched beyond their original sizes to fit the page. 

Related to this, do you have recommendations for image dimensions and file size while the resizing features are being sorted out?

Thanks and have a great day.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ITdactyl on January 25, 2020, 06:19:07 AM
2 questions:
1. Do we have control over what kind of ads appear?  By "kind" I mean the file types used - I'm used to seeing picture based banner type ads on forums.

I'm not worried about sensitive ad content (I know ads are targetted and based on browsing history).  I was just surprised to get a timed pop up (You have to leave it on the screen for the duration of the timer - closing it will Open another tab containing the product) and a video pop up.  I'm also wondering if anyone else has experienced this.  I am inclined to think this has more to do with regional ads though, and there's nothing in the forum controls that can prevent them.

2. I read above that the image resize feature is currently "dead". I meant to ask about that because the frog and crow pictures I shared recently seem to be stretched beyond their original sizes to fit the page. 

Related to this, do you have recommendations for image dimensions and file size while the resizing features are being sorted out?

Thanks and have a great day.

1. That sounds like an incredible intrusive ad type, I hope that doesn't happen often. I'll see if there's a way I can limit the kinds of ads that appear, but there seem to be basically two options to me – an ad with set dimensions, or a smart ad that does what it likes. Set dimension ads are no good because they are not responsive. I might just remove adsense ads completely until they give us more control.

2. I don't have image size recommendations because ever user has a different size screen. But, for web purposes, most users' images are far too big. It used to be a problem for page load speeds, but now the internet is so fast it doesn't make a big difference.

DinoToyForum

Ah, I realised I accidentally had a site-wide auto-ad setting turned on in Adsense, so all the tweaking I've been doing has been pointless! I've turned that off now, which should give me control again over where ads appear and how big they are.

postsaurischian

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: