News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dutch T-rex crowdfunding

Started by Alexxitator, July 23, 2014, 09:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexxitator

This has been going on here in Holland for a few months, and I believe they have passed the 3 million euros mark recently.
I too am a proud owner  ^-^
http://tientjevoortrex.naturalis.nl/nl/
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

Blade-of-the-Moon

Interesting. Can you tell us a bit more about it ? I couldn't read much on the site itself.

Alexxitator

Sure I can!

Naturalis is a Biodiversity center in Leiden, Holland. The website is also available in English. http://www.naturalis.nl/en/
In their collection you can find many interesting pieces from around the world.
http://www.naturalis.nl/nl/het-museum/vaste-tentoonstellingen/oerparade/ (in dutch)
And their collection of top pieces:
http://www.naturalis.nl/en/museum/top-pieces/

A few years ago they set the goal of bringing the first complete T-rex skeleton to Holland. Happily digging through the spring of 2013 at what they thought was the site of a complete skeleton, they only found a foot and parts of the leg. They did however find two triceratops skeletons wich they decided to excavate instead.
Autumn of 2013 they did indeed find a complete skeleton at a neighboring site also in Montana. All this is done in collaboration with Black Hills Institute.

Because the museum does not have sufficient funds lying around to support the entire process, they decided to make it from the people to the people through crowdfunding.
They set out to collect 3 million euros. You can buy a certificate of co-ownership for 10 euros, or you can adopt actual bones on the skeleton for quite a bit more than that.
The 3 mil mark is long met.

As you can see they have various authentic skeletons on permanent exhibition, but there was no giant meat eater among them.

I hope you can make heads&tails of my explanation  :D
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

Blade-of-the-Moon

Awesome! I'm glad they were able to raise the funds needed. :)  I'm constantly impressed by the virtues of crowdfunding. I need to do a Kickstarter or something for the Park here..we're barely raising enough for each dino we build.

Alexxitator

Well it clearly is a very nicely working method. For a park like yours I imagine it would work as well.
Make a wall of fame for donators, give them a certificate of co-ownership on a piece, make caps and shirts... Give em a free entrance every now and then. Stuff like that.
In your case it may well be that people who may even never come to your place will applaud the concept and give freely. I know I might just do that myself.

Stuff for thought, maybe  :-X
-Charles Darwin-

Alexxitator

For those of you living in, or near, the Netherlands or for any other interested people;
The crowdfunding is still going strong. But as I understand it there is some more money needed for the project to completely succeed.
Donations are SO welcome!  :)
-Charles Darwin-

Roselaar

I'm not donating. I find it an overhyped project for an overhyped dinosaur. Why bother with a T-Rex specifically? Let's all put money together to buy back our own Mosasaur from those thieving Frenchmen!  >:(

And for now Naturalis needs to invest in a more dinosaur abundant giftstore. The last time I visited they only had overpriced Schleich, which I find unacceptable from a museum store.

tyrantqueen

QuoteLet's all put money together to buy back our own Mosasaur from those thieving Frenchmen!
I don't think this is necessary at all...

Alexxitator

Quote from: Roselaar on November 05, 2014, 04:45:08 PM
I'm not donating. I find it an overhyped project for an overhyped dinosaur...

Without a hype there is no much needed income nowadays.
Without income there is no Naturalis...
Without Naturalis you have no shabby giftshop to whine about...

Everything is connected. ;)
-Charles Darwin-

reinier zwanink

I find it a good thing that they get a rex in holland
Overrated or not.
What i dont like is that skeletons are all over holland
Some in den haag . venlo or boxtel
I like the boxtel museum but would like it to be more expended with many more dinosaurs

Roselaar

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 05, 2014, 05:14:23 PM
QuoteLet's all put money together to buy back our own Mosasaur from those thieving Frenchmen!
I don't think this is necessary at all...

You might feel different if the only noteworthy fossil ever found in your country was stolen by a foreign nation which has no intention of returning it...  :'(

Quote from: reinier zwanink on November 06, 2014, 06:13:42 PM

I like the boxtel museum but would like it to be more expended with many more dinosaurs

The museum in Boxtel is very impressive compared to the disappointing Naturalis. It has much more skeletons and a whole garden filled with splendid models. Not to mention one of the greatest shops I've ever plundered encountered. Naturalis is okay, but could definitely take a few hints from them, considering it's supposed to be the leading museum of natural history in the Netherlands. I guess you could say a T-Rex is a step in the right direction in that regard. But considering the price tag attached to a T-Rex skeleton, I'm sure they could buy lots of cheaper yet no less impressive species instead. Every museum has a T-Rex anyway.

Paleogene Pals

Uh, I have French ancestry. Is the "thieving Frenchmen" comment really that necessary?

reinier zwanink

Maybe this all comes from the fact that not many dutch seen to like dinosaurs.
For example i have found 0 clubs or fansites here in holland and mostly you see children with this.

@ paloegene
Dont take it to litterely
Its something they often say but not mean like that.
For the germans and spain have "stolen" our cup  ;)

Nebuloid

Quote from: Roselaar on November 06, 2014, 09:08:39 PM

The museum in Boxtel is very impressive compared to the disappointing Naturalis. It has much more skeletons and a whole garden filled with splendid models. Not to mention one of the greatest shops I've ever plundered encountered. Naturalis is okay, but could definitely take a few hints from them, considering it's supposed to be the leading museum of natural history in the Netherlands. I guess you could say a T-Rex is a step in the right direction in that regard. But considering the price tag attached to a T-Rex skeleton, I'm sure they could buy lots of cheaper yet no less impressive species instead. Every museum has a T-Rex anyway.

I'm planning a museum visit next sunday, guess I'll go to Boxtel then ! But Munster looks really good as well, any quick suggestions ?
Sorry to be off-topic...

Roselaar

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on November 07, 2014, 02:35:50 AM
Uh, I have French ancestry. Is the "thieving Frenchmen" comment really that necessary?

Yes. Until you start taking it too literally, than I need to retract things.  ::)

But I would like your opinion on the matter: do you think the original Mosasaur should be returned to the country where it was found? A country that really needs a prehistory boost, specifically.

reinier zwanink

Quote from: Nebuloid on November 07, 2014, 06:50:33 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on November 06, 2014, 09:08:39 PM

I'm planning a museum visit next sunday, guess I'll go to Boxtel then ! But Munster looks really good as well, any quick suggestions ?
Sorry to be off-topic...

Boxtel is nice
The got a diplodocus brachiosaurus stego and iguanodon and some more skeletons
Its a bit of a chaos but they got to little space
Garden and forest are nice to
Here a link
http://www.oertijdmuseum.nl/

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.