News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-introduction of The Dinosaur Studio

Started by loru1588, August 06, 2014, 01:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loru1588

Hello everyone! I'd like to re-introduce myself to those of you who may remember me and introduce myself to those of you who don't. I'm Dan LoRusso owner & operator of The Dinosaur Studio. I have recently remolded the entire line of Dinosaur Studio resins which are available directly through me ( either at The Dinosaur Studio website, through my Dinosaur Studio Facebook page or through Dan's Dinosaurs website. I am the sculptor behind half the Battat Museum of Science Boston line of dinosaur toys as well as half the resins now available. The 1:10th Gorgosaurus is in the early stages of re-molding and will hopefully be available by late August / early September. All other kits are currently available. The 1:10th Tyrannosaurus was just roto-cast and castings will be made upon request. Cut the weight down almost 1/3 from the original 26 pounds!! I've been going through some major medical issues over the past 3 years and kind of lost touch with the dinosaur world. I recently got a major emotional boost from an old client and it has sparked the creative juices again!! Can't go into any real details yet, however watch your Target Stores come early fall!! Happy to be part of this group! I would like to post any pics you folks have of Dinosaur Studio kits that have been built up & painted on my websites giving you and the painter ( if not you ) full credit. Just email me the pics and info. Thanks for having me!!

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: loru1588 on August 06, 2014, 01:30:45 AM
Hello everyone! I'd like to re-introduce myself to those of you who may remember me and introduce myself to those of you who don't. I'm Dan LoRusso owner & operator of The Dinosaur Studio. I have recently remolded the entire line of Dinosaur Studio resins which are available directly through me ( either at The Dinosaur Studio website, through my Dinosaur Studio Facebook page or through Dan's Dinosaurs website. I am the sculptor behind half the Battat Museum of Science Boston line of dinosaur toys as well as half the resins now available. The 1:10th Gorgosaurus is in the early stages of re-molding and will hopefully be available by late August / early September. All other kits are currently available. The 1:10th Tyrannosaurus was just roto-cast and castings will be made upon request. Cut the weight down almost 1/3 from the original 26 pounds!! I've been going through some major medical issues over the past 3 years and kind of lost touch with the dinosaur world. I recently got a major emotional boost from an old client and it has sparked the creative juices again!! Can't go into any real details yet, however watch your Target Stores come early fall!! Happy to be part of this group! I would like to post any pics you folks have of Dinosaur Studio kits that have been built up & painted on my websites giving you and the painter ( if not you ) full credit. Just email me the pics and info. Thanks for having me!!

Awesome news Dan. Nim says welcome to the forum !!! I think the one model I might be able to post would be a resin master of the Battat Amargasaurus done as a repaint and  based by Martin Garratl if that intersts you at all.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

loru1588

I'd love to see the Amargasaurus!! Especially if Martin had a hand in painting it! Thanks Nim!!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Welcome Dan! Glad to see you here!  I n\know most if not all of us love the work of The Dinosaur Studio and yourself . :)

Target stores eh ? I happen to have one nearby..can't wait to see what your teasing! lol

amargasaurus cazaui

Battat amargasaurus resin master.
This guy was purchased with a tail that was broken in a few spots and missing the small end section. I bought it and sent it off to Martin and requested repair, paint and a base made for the figure. Martin took it from there so I would say he had more than a hand in it. He did the entire repair, repaint and basing for the model. I turned Martin lose with this one and did not specify color or pattern as I often do with him. If you opt to use the picture, please credit both the work and the picture to him and or Marilyn as the picture was done by them as well.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoToyForum

Welcome to the forum Dan and thanks for the exciting news!  8)

0onarcissisto0

Can't wait to eventually get my hands on that Pachyrhinosaurus of yours!! Also looking forward to any new kits that might be in the works!
If the sculptor has nothing but science his hands will have no art.

- DK -

loru1588

Thanks for the welcome & the kind words, Nim, the Amargasaurus looks great! OonarcissistoO, 1/10th Pachyrhinosaurus is in stock!!

Bokisaurus

Welcome! Such an honor to have you here at the forum! Big fan of your work, like many of us here. I have a lot of the resin figures from the original set of Battat that I got from you years ago. I could not get myself to paint them as they are truly a treasure for me.

Himmapaan

And a hearty welcome from me, too. So glad you've been able to join the forum at last.  :D

Paleogene Pals

Welcome! Glad to have the Dinosaur Studio back!

loru1588

Well, by now I guess everyone is aware of the release of the Terra Series, Dan LoRusso Collection at Target stores. 4 are on the shelves with 2 others not too far behind. So, I am fairly busy with the next 6 in that series as well as revising the paint schemes for the upcoming release of the former Museum of Science, Boston Series. This series will most likely be re-released early 2015. By the end of August all available dinosaurs in 1:35th scale and 1:10th scale will be available. The 1:10th Gorgosaurus is the last to be remolded. No new additions to the Dinosaur Studio line until I catch up with these Battat projects. First up for the Dinosaur Studio is to complete a 1:1 scale Coelophysis that was about 75% complete.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: loru1588 on August 23, 2014, 01:49:51 PM
Well, by now I guess everyone is aware of the release of the Terra Series, Dan LoRusso Collection at Target stores. 4 are on the shelves with 2 others not too far behind. So, I am fairly busy with the next 6 in that series as well as revising the paint schemes for the upcoming release of the former Museum of Science, Boston Series. This series will most likely be re-released early 2015. By the end of August all available dinosaurs in 1:35th scale and 1:10th scale will be available. The 1:10thnGorgosaurus is the last to be remolded. No new additions to the Dinosaur Studio line until I catch up with these Battat projects. First up for the Dinosaur Studio is to complete a 1:1 scale Coelophysis that was about 75% complete.

Nice! We don't have one of those here yet.  Would you cast it in fiberglass being larger ?

loru1588

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 23, 2014, 06:39:44 PM
Well, by now I guess everyone is aware of the release of the Terra Series, Dan LoRusso Collection at Target stores. 4 are on the shelves with 2 others not too far behind. So, I am fairly busy with the next 6 in that series as well as revising the paint schemes for the upcoming release of the former Museum of Science, Boston Series. This series will most likely be re-released early 2015. By the end of August all available dinosaurs in 1:35th scale and 1:10th scale will be available. The 1:10thnGorgosaurus is the last to be remolded. No new additions to the Dinosaur Studio line until I catch up with these Battat projects. First up for the Dinosaur Studio is to complete a 1:1 scale Coelophysis that was about 75% complete.

Nice! We don't have one of those here yet.  Would you cast it in fiberglass being larger ?

Most likely hollow cast resin like I'm doing with the 1:10th Tyrannosaurus & Gorgosaurus.

ningoth4

Definitely great having you back working hard in the field Dan!!! Looking forward to seeing what all you come up with. :)

Kevin

pascosaur

I just received the four new Terra/Battat figures. Thank you Mr LoRusso for your talent. I may be one of the first in France to already have them.  ^-^
It's such a wonder to watch them among the "old" ones !...
Your style is unique.

Thank you Sir.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: loru1588 on August 28, 2014, 04:00:12 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 23, 2014, 06:39:44 PM

Most likely hollow cast resin like I'm doing with the 1:10th Tyrannosaurus & Gorgosaurus.

That would keep the cost down..and it could be foam filled to be more durable..but I haven't settled on what I can coat resin with to keep it outdoors indefinitely.

loru1588

@Blade-of-the-Moon: Any of the Krylon outdoor paints for patio furniture should work. Even if you Undercoat the piece, paint it as you wish and then give it a few clear coats over a few days.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: loru1588 on August 30, 2014, 04:33:33 AM
@Blade-of-the-Moon: Any of the Krylon outdoor paints for patio furniture should work. Even if you Undercoat the piece, paint it as you wish and then give it a few clear coats over a few days.

I use Krylon on most all of our pieces now, seems it's only susceptible to bird droppings. lol

I was mostly worried about water and ice..had some trouble with that in regards to concrete and some other materials.   

Someone once told me about a thicker, clear, brush on material that can seal a up..making a durable surface against most all types of outdoor damage..save a tree falling on it or a rock hitting it..heh

tyrantqueen

QuoteI use Krylon on most all of our pieces now, seems it's only susceptible to bird droppings. lol
Yeah...what DO you do about those? Sounds like a gross job :-[

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: