News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Repliscale

Started by modelnut, August 06, 2014, 10:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

modelnut

I tried to order Repliscale from Mike Evan's Alchemy Works but it isn't on his website anymore.

Does anyone else sell this?

I bought one supply set years ago and used it a few times and never since. Resin dinosaur kits are not in the budget that often. But with all of these wonderful kits coming from Pegasus Hobbies I really think I need to stock up. I've muddle though disguising the seams on the Triceratops. But I want to be prepared before I get the others.

If AW doesn't make or carry it anymore, what can I use instead? Sculpey® mold maker ? I can at least get that locally.

- Leelan

tyrantqueen

I don't think it's in production any more. A good alternative is to use silicone putty. It basically consists of two parts that you can mix together to form a putty which will harden to a rubbery consistency.

It will perform the same function as a repliscale would.

stargatedalek

from what I've managed with it Sculpey is more for filling in holes, and then gluing the Sculpey insert in place
I don't know how well it would work for blending seams (especially since it needs to be backed in order to harden)

but I'm not sure if "mold maker" might work better, I have enough trouble finding basic craft Sculpey locally

tyrantqueen

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 07, 2014, 02:07:19 AM
from what I've managed with it Sculpey is more for filling in holes, and then gluing the Sculpey insert in place
I don't know how well it would work for blending seams (especially since it needs to be backed in order to harden)

but I'm not sure if "mold maker" might work better, I have enough trouble finding basic craft Sculpey locally
No, Sculpey is for sculpting from scratch. If you want something to fill seams with, try an epoxy putty such as Aves. It does not need to be baked, and hardens through a chemical reaction. I have a suspicion that Sculpey Mold Maker is just sillicone putty with Polyform's branding slapped on it.

Edit: I did some research and Mold Maker is really just a very soft clay that can be used to capture details or condition hardened clay. It is possible to use it as an alternative for repliscale, I suppose, but it needs to be baked which is just another inconvenience. As I said before, silicone putty is probably cheaper and will harden by itself through a chemical reaction.

stargatedalek

if I may correct myself further; I found it more useful making plugs/inserts to fill holes with (as opposed to covering seams/gaps)
which I suppose, is really sort of modeling from scratch

modelnut

This in the Mold Builder I was talking about: http://www.michaels.com/castin-craft-mold-builder/10558726.html#q=mold%2Bbuilder&start=1

You brush it on and it cures. Though IIRC a friend said that I would have to brush on several layers and possible back it with a piece of gauze if I needed to reuse it much.

- Leelan

tyrantqueen

Oh, yeah, I know what you're talking about now. Latex can be used to make mold impressions as well, although I prefer silicone because it doesn't stink horribly, and it's not so messy. Seriously, liquid latex smells awful. Not a chemical smell, but more like rotten eggs.

Since it contains ammonia, and that's what rotting bodies release, I'm not surprised

modelnut

This is the silicone putty I found online. I can get it at our local Michael's craft store: http://www.michaels.com/easymold-silicone-putty/10184918.html

I may try this instead.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.